Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's the ESL job market like in Vancouver?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlueOlle

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 3:29 am    Post subject: What's the ESL job market like in Vancouver? Reply with quote

Hi... Does anyone know the general requirements and the chances of getting a ESL teaching job in Vancouver, BC? I've been out of town for a few years now... so i'm kinda lost... Sad

I have a BA in Music and English and a TESOL Certification (which prbly doesn't mean much if I'm not teaching abroad, eh?) I have 3 years ESL teaching experience (2 years in Vancouver, 1.5 years in Japan)

What are my chances of finding a job here back home?
Where should I start looking (other than on careerclick)?
What other certifications/education will a need to get a decent job here?
What kinda pay should I be expecting?

It would be nice if you could give me some advice... Thank you! Wink
ls650

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a really good question - I'd like to know the answer myself.
I have a B.Sc (in Computer Science) and a TEFL Certificate. I'm currently teaching for a year in Indonesia. When I complete my contract I'd like to return to Vancouver and find work teaching in the Lower Mainland.

Can someone fill us in on the job situation? Question
Celeste

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in Japan now, but I worked at an ESL school in Vancouver for almost 3 years before I came here last year. ESL work in the lower mainland is a bit seasonal. If you are a really good teacher, the school may find a way to keep you on through the slow season.

Basically, the best way to get an ESL/EFL job in Vancouver is to shop your resume around to the different schools in April or May. The reason is that they will get a glut of students in June or July, and will need to hire more teachers soon. A lot of schools will try you out as a sub first. If you are a reliable and likeable substitute, they may offer you a temporary position through the summer. If that goes well, they may ask you to stay on through the fall. If you are still there by Christmas, you will most likely become a permanent employee if the school can afford to keep you.

The pay for a substitue teacher is around $18 per hour (or it was a year ago) and the pay goes up to about $21-24 dollars an hour for a full time permanent employee, this may not include any prep time.

A TESOL Cert. may be enough to teach with. You will have to find out what professional organizations the schools belong to and what those organizations require. Many schools belong to CAPLS (Ithink that stands for Canadian Association of Private Language Schools but I can't remember for sure.) and they only recognize certain programs.
BlueOlle

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thz for ur reply... will do will do... but again, as you said, the pay ain't as great as when it was in Jpn... *sigh*... Rolling Eyes
Gordon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Celeste is right, apply in the spring time. Another reason is that if you are newly hired for the busy summer season, then you will be the first to be laid off in the Fall/winter. You don't want to be at the bottom of the totem pole then. Ask around to see how long many of the teachers have been at the school. High turnover is the best way to see what the work conditions are like. I worked at a big school in Vancouver where there were 5 teachers leaving and 5 coming every month.
Gordon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any updates on the ESL job market in Vancouver? I've been away so long that I can't comment on it anymore. I'm not serious about moving back, at least not anytime soon. I'm just kind of curious.
lozwich

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 2:17 pm    Post subject: member of the Commonwealth... Reply with quote

Hi,

What is the likelihood of a non-Canadian with Australian and British citizenship being hired for one of these rare-as-hen's-teeth positions? I'm too old for the working holiday visa Sad , but have always thought it might be interesting to live there...

The hiring situation sounds similar to Australia's...

Thanks,
Lozwich
Gordon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say your chances are not good. Good jobs are hard to find for Cdns. That's why so many of us are overseas.
What kind of a TESL job would you be looking at? There may be some college/uni program jobs if you have a Masters and lots of experience.
lozwich

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 6:14 pm    Post subject: ha! Reply with quote

Gordon wrote:
What kind of a TESL job would you be looking at? There may be some college/uni program jobs if you have a Masters and lots of experience.

Well, I've got a whole bunch of experience in a completely different area, but since I'm only in my first 6 months of teaching post-CELTA, guess it would be incredibly highly unlikely that I would get something.. Sad

Oh well, such is life and all that.. thanks anyway. Smile

L.
ls650

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A fellow student from my TEFL certificate class was recently laid off from admin at a Vancouver language school. She tells me that the ESL/EFL market in Vancouver is rock bottom right now and it's difficult to find any decent-paying work.

Ah well, I guess I''m staying abroad for a while yet... Wink
TokyoLiz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 4:50 am    Post subject: Was just in Vancouver last month Reply with quote

for holidays and dropped by my old international English school. Yep, it is as feared. The numbers are low, but of course, will pick up in the spring.

Get yer resume in there quick. Because you've taught abroad, you've got an advantage over a new grad who's volunteered or worked in Vancouver only.

I worked next to some British, New Zealander and Yugoslavian teachers before. I'm sure there is room somewhere in Vancouver for foreign teachers. But of course, you'll need a fall back plan for the low season (pun intended).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: