Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cheapest Italian prepay/SIM (for numbers starting with 393)?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
saren

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:06 pm    Post subject: Cheapest Italian prepay/SIM (for numbers starting with 393)? Reply with quote

Cheapest Italian prepay/SIM (for numbers starting with 393)?

Hi, I need advice on which Italian prepay/SIM card to purchase for a 6 week trip to N. Italy. I'm ONLY concerned with the cost of SMS to other, local Italian mobile numbers. Roaming, international tariffs are not important. Most of the Italian numbers I need to call start with +39 (393) xxx-xxxx. I assume 393 is the prefix of a specific prepay provider, like Italia mobile, or Vodaphone. Which one is it? It would make sense to purchase a SIM with that company, since SMS rates will probably be lower, if not free to 393 numbers.

Thanks
Rosaria

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is quite an old message but maybe you still need to know...
There are 4 different providers in Italy: TIM, Vodafone, Wind and 3.
Usually, numbers starting with 393 are from 3. I say usually because you may change the provider after you've bought a SIM.
Sometimes you buy a SIM card from 3 and get a special fee for SMS to 3 mobiles and you think you're sending SMS to 3 (393) but they may be Vodafone. It sounds confusing, I know, and it really is!

The standard fee for sending an SMS to other Italian mobiles is 0.15/0.16 Euro, you can get special fees just texting the mobiles of your same provided but be sure to ask your friends which is their real provider, don't trust prefixes or you'll run out of credit without realizing it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: