Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

People overstaying!!!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kirkpatrick

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 5:38 am    Post subject: People overstaying!!!!! Reply with quote

I met a guy here in Odessa and he's like overstayed a year and a half. I did this once in Thailand and was in deep dog doo doo. What's the scoop here in the Ukraine. Are you just barred for 5 years or are you jailed and fined to boot. Also, what happens if you lose that little white piece of paper ( departure slip) that has a duplicate of your visa on it?
charlesinukraine

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't lose the little white piece of paper. The paper is part of your immigration registration. One half was taken upon entry and the other half you must retain for your departure. If lost you could be fined and I believe the fee is between $80 and $100. The worst part is that immigration will detain you while paperwork is completed.

Once upon a time overstaying the limit was not an issue. Pay a fine and off you go (happened to me twice). But, these days with a new tracking system and stronger enforcement due to entrance into the WTO it has become strict. There are an increasing number of reports that if a person overstays it results in deportation. Immigration police will force you to sign legal documents written in Ukrainian that will prevent you from entering the country again for five years.

best of luck
Cardinal Synn

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I've lost that bit of paper more than once, and have never been asked for it when leaving, let alone fined. Even when i have it, I don't bother handing it over, because, like I said, they don't ask for it. Maybe I've just been lucky, but I'd be much more worried about overstaying for a year than losing my landing card. It's the stamp in your passport they're interested in.
Apollo1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

charlesinukraine wrote:
Don't lose the little white piece of paper. The paper is part of your immigration registration. One half was taken upon entry and the other half you must retain for your departure. If lost you could be fined and I believe the fee is between $80 and $100. The worst part is that immigration will detain you while paperwork is completed.

Once upon a time overstaying the limit was not an issue. Pay a fine and off you go (happened to me twice). But, these days with a new tracking system and stronger enforcement due to entrance into the WTO it has become strict. There are an increasing number of reports that if a person overstays it results in deportation. Immigration police will force you to sign legal documents written in Ukrainian that will prevent you from entering the country again for five years.

best of luck

Is it possible to arrive on a Business Visa and then have the work permit and IM-1 visa organized by the employer within the 90 day period?
charlesinukraine

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not legal to work in Ukraine with a business visa. The business visa requires a support letter and so does the IM-1 visa. The cost is about $100 for each visa application. Furthermore, a visa can only be secured outside of Ukrainian borders. Another difficulty is dealing with a Ukrainian consulate in a foreign country. This can be problematic.

I highly suggest that you get your documentation taken care of before you enter Ukraine. This will make your life much simpler. And, it will allow you to be legal in Ukraine.

I heard many stories from teachers that once in country the employer delays and delays the paperwork. The teacher having bourne many costs usually exceeding a thousand dollars continues to stay and deal with the hassle of living illegally in Ukraine or departs.

Any employer can issue the paperwork for an IM-1 visa just as easily. They won't want to issue it since the employer will have to pay employment tax which I believe could be around 30% of salary.
ETA

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

charlesinukraine wrote:
The worst part is that immigration will detain you while paperwork is completed.

How long is the detainment/custody?
ancient_dweller

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

which is the easiest border to get across then? Ukraine/Moldova?
Cardinal Synn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Belarus, so I've heard
Cardinal Synn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

charlesinukraine wrote:
It is not legal to work in Ukraine with a business visa. The business visa requires a support letter and so does the IM-1 visa. The cost is about $100 for each visa application. Furthermore, a visa can only be secured outside of Ukrainian borders. Another difficulty is dealing with a Ukrainian consulate in a foreign country. This can be problematic.

I highly suggest that you get your documentation taken care of before you enter Ukraine. This will make your life much simpler. And, it will allow you to be legal in Ukraine.

I heard many stories from teachers that once in country the employer delays and delays the paperwork. The teacher having bourne many costs usually exceeding a thousand dollars continues to stay and deal with the hassle of living illegally in Ukraine or departs.

Any employer can issue the paperwork for an IM-1 visa just as easily. They won't want to issue it since the employer will have to pay employment tax which I believe could be around 30% of salary.

Employers have their ways of getting round that. If you're going to stay for any extended period, it's well worth having an IM-1
maruss

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:05 pm    Post subject: Avoid Belarus.... Reply with quote

...unless you have to go there because they are very awkward about entry and transit visas and as a rule do not issue even transit visas at the border,as I discovered to my cost when arriving from Poland,but that was about 10 years ago on my way to Russia,for which I did not need an entry visa with my Cypriot passport at that time.
coledavis

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Belarus requires a visa if you are not a CIS citizen.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Ukraine All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: