Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Heigh-ho, heigh-ho, it's off to look for work I go

View previous topic :: View next topic  
istanbullheaded

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:54 am    Post subject: Heigh-ho, heigh-ho, it's off to look for work I go Reply with quote

Hello, fellow Turkophiles, please let me know if you have heard of any current university English instructor positions that will likely provide good pay and conditions. I know there are likely to be few at mid-year. The lise I worked at has not renewed my contract because of government regulations against non-education school related degree bearers teaching high school, which as far as I'm concerned is fair play, considering requirements as I know them in the U.S., anyway. Anyway, I have an MA-TESL and several years of teaching experience.

Also, it's my understanding that I'm much more likely to get a six or eight-month contract at a dershane than a language school, such a contract being my goal considering the greater number of university jobs available in September, if I don't find a university job now. I don't even know why I'm so gung-ho about a university job, but I presume conditions and pay (though probably not student interest) at most universities would be better than language schools in general. As for another assumption of mine, it's my understanding that students in dershanes and language schools are typically more interested in learning English than (private) university students "trapped" in a prep program.

Please let me know if my assumptions are wrong. Also, plese let me know of good dershanes you know of if any of my assumptions are correct.

Thanks a bunch. I'll hunt around online to do my part and see if there are anyone else's questions I can help with.
richard ame

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 10:42 am    Post subject: Positions available Reply with quote

Hi Bullhead

I understand there will be a few places available in the next term and most defintely in the next academic year here . Check out ieu.edu.tr I have an idea they are still on the look out for new talent but it is in Izmir not Stanbul .
istanbullheaded

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot, Richard. I've been thinking about moving to Izmir, and I'll have to check IUE out.
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:56 pm    Post subject: iue ? ieu ? ????????????????????? Reply with quote

Are you sure that website is at that address ?
I get nowhere when I try it.
yaramaz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It worked for me this morning-- don't forget to put the http://dub-dub-dub before the address he wrote.
BTW Richard, what quals does the unversity require, and what sort of pay and benifits do they offer? I need to keep my eye open for next year...
richard ame

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 9:33 am    Post subject: Something to whet your appetite !! Reply with quote

Hi Yaramaz

Good question mate ! Not one I feel that qualified to answer as it seems there are so many varations at the moment ,it seems some get more than others esp if they have Uni experience . My 7 odd years spent at private high schools did not seem to count for very much even though they came looking for me and my other half . The usual qualies apply i.e a B.A and a T.E.F.L plus any thing else you may have an M.A will get you a bit more as well . The " package" as such is not much to write home about ,I hear that may change though in the near future hopefully!! The place is very new and the conditions are the best I've seen and the students are generally ok and for a private establishment fairly respectful .I intend to stay here for quite a while if poss although I understand another place will start recruiting in the next year or two but we'll have to play a waiting game on that one . Thats all for now hope this helps ,regards .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: