Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Equatorial Guinea - Wood Group
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
laconic

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 12:22 am    Post subject: Equatorial Guinea - Wood Group Reply with quote

This is being asked for a friend who is still trying to get registered here.

Does anyone have any recent experience working in Equatorial Guinea with Wood Group? Any information you can share would be greatly appreciated.
Evanzinho

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too would be interested in any information others have regarding teaching in Equatorial Guinea for one of the oil and gas companies. I just checked the Wood Group's web site but there are currently no job listings posted for instructors.

Thanks for any help.
ricardobaltierra

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:58 pm    Post subject: Wood Group is only game in town? Reply with quote

Greetings,

I am looking for work in EG, preferably in the oil fields (offshore or onshore, it doesn't matter).

Where should I begin my search?

FYI: I have a MATESOL degree and 17 years of experience, 10 in the Persian Gulf with military contractors. I am bilingual in Spanish/English.

Those of you who have worked there: Is my resume something that would interest the EG employers?

Any hints/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: but Reply with quote

They haven't advertised for years. I know someone who worked for Marathon Oil there but I think it was going t*ts up a few years ago. I also know someone who got offered a job there that never happened.
ricardobaltierra

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Good observation! Reply with quote

Good observation! I haven't seen anything advertised for work in that country for years!
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a better chance of finding an EFL job on The Big Rock Candy Mountain !
ricardobaltierra

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Are they still there? Reply with quote

Are the oil companies still there? And who were the oil companies there?
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Marathon Oil and Mobil I think.
billings

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: Equatorial Guinea - Wood Group Reply with quote

Generally, they don't advertise! They search sites looking for appropriate candidates and then contact them to offer a position. So, get your C.V. out there! But, they look for very well qualified with plenty of experience - especially in the oil industry!
water rat

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone who was interested in advertising their curriculum vitae to potential employers in Equatorial Guinea (or anyhere else in particular) could post it here: Dave's ESLCafe -Stuff for Teachers -Post Your Resume -

http://www.eslcafe.com/jobs/wanted/#PostMessage

This is how I got my good gig in north central China. Just aim your message at Africa and Equatorial Guinea.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Equatorial Guinea is one of the worst laces to work in Africa...it is , mosquito infected and steaming hot most of the year. I had a friend who used to work for them (The Wood Group) based in Scotland and he said it was the worst gig he had ever had...a real EFL sweatshop!!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked
The Fifth Column

Location: His habitude with lexical items protrudes not unlike a damaged pollex!!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFL Educator wrote:
Equatorial Guinea is one of the worst laces to work in Africa...it is , mosquito infected and steaming hot most of the year. I had a friend who used to work for them (The Wood Group) based in Scotland and he said it was the worst gig he had ever had...a real EFL sweatshop!!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked

NOT!!!
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Me and a few mates of mine, all well-qualified and experienced in the oil game had interviews with this lot for Marathon, some moons ago. There was a fat American bloke and an insecure Brit doing the interviews just off Edgeware Road. Not one of us got an offer. However, a girl I know, who hadn't even taught for a while, got an offer which never materialised. She'd had very little experience in the oil game but was/is quite hot and knew an American who was already there.

I think they must go on recruiting jollies from time to time on expenses.
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=108609

Why start a new thread ? For those desperate to get rich quick, I have come into possession of an authentic treasure map showing the exact location of Captain Peach's last treasure. Available for a reasonable price. I can also introduce the gullible to some West African friends who need some assistance in transferring a few million dollars from Burkina Faso.

Last edited by scot47 on Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
ntropy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: erm Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:
Me and a few mates of mine, all well-qualified and experienced in the oil game had interviews with this lot for Marathon, some moons ago. There was a fat American bloke and an insecure Brit doing the interviews just off Edgeware Road. Not one of us got an offer. However, a girl I know, who hadn't even taught for a while, got an offer which never materialised. She'd had very little experience in the oil game but was/is quite hot and knew an American who was already there.

I think they must go on recruiting jollies from time to time on expenses.

Did the bloke's name start with a "B" and be of apparent French origin (trying not to use the name and get a mod edit)?

Mr. B and his mates often go on recruiting jollies on expense and do end up hiring the unexperienced, malleable and attractive.

I've had a few experiences being asked to interview, the most of memorable of which involved flying in in the middle of a blizzard, being the only interveiwee who actually made it in despite the weather, and then being stiffed on the plane fare and expenses. The entire interview the "team" kept looking at watches and you could almost see them inching out to the hotel bar even before it ended.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: