Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I want a job, but I have no degree. Gimme!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Irish

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 7:05 pm    Post subject: An interesting point Reply with quote

Nina, you bring up a very good point and I doubt your post offended anyone. It's always nice to see someone on these boards who can argue a point politely, without resorting to name-calling or belittling other people's opinions. I hope you stick around!

As someone who is working on a master's in TESL, I'm not sure that obtaining a degree proves much of anything except that the holder completed a particular program. I'd like to think it's making me a better teacher but I don't assume that I'm automatically superior to someone without the same qualifications. I'm not doing this for respect--I'm doing this because I love the field and it's the best way for me to accomplish my goals. My degree will be just one part of a package for potential employers to consider at hiring time.

Employers ought to be able to hire the teacher who can do the best job and meet the students' needs. However, as Glenski points out, employers are often limited by immigration regulations. The requirements may seem unfair or arbitrary, but they are the law. If the law is interfering with students' education, the people of that nation may be able to complain and press for change but what can a foreign teacher do? Sure, you can work illegally, but is the school hiring you because they think you're such an amazing instructor that you're worth the risk or is it because they only respect money? Obviously many people work illegally and do okay, but I'd be very cautious. Then again, I'm a big chicken.

This issue seems to arise regularly on these boards with people passionately arguing for both sides. I am not complaining--I think it's an important question. I just don't see what we as foreign teachers can do about other countries' laws.
Irish

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Roger, although I support Glenski's idea of having a FAQ, I despair of it working. It seems to me that the kind of people who will argue against the impossible and complain here about other countries' laws (as if any of us could change them) will not pay attention to it. My prediction: rational people will look through it and either leave or post for clarification/additional information. The other types will begin submitting posts like, "I just read the FAQ and it says you need a degree for Japan, but my sister's ex-boyfriend's cousin's roommate once met a guy in a bar who knew somebody that made LOADS of $$$ in Tokyo without one..."

No. The only answer is...no more Mr./Ms. Nice Teacher! Answer sensible questions, clarify replies as necessary, but don't let them drag you into the endless cycle of "Sorry, you can't/But I wanna/But it's illegal/But why?" Make a final answer, refer them along to that country's embassy, and stop talking to them.

Speaking of nice people...Nina, don't let the rude folks get to you. Yeah, there are a few people who seem to lose their manners when they sit at a computer but most of the folks here know how to express an opinion rationally. Just ignore the mean ones.

Last edited by Irish on Sun Feb 09, 2003 5:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: