Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Current Job Market for Americans

View previous topic :: View next topic  

What are my chances of surviving abroad in this rotten world economy?
Have "keine Angst." You'll be fine.
25%
 25%  [ 3 ]
Hit or miss. You might be better off in Korea.
58%
 58%  [ 7 ]
Forget about it.
16%
 16%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 12

vanwest3

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 5:26 am    Post subject: Current Job Market for Americans Reply with quote

Does anyone know what the current job market for American citizens is like in Berlin, Heidelberg, or Hamburg? I know that most of the jobs available are to be found in the country, not online; so how are things looking on the ground? Is freelancing still an option?

I a recently graduated from a California State University with a double BA in Linguistics and German, as well as a TESOL certificate. My cumulative GPA was 3.4. I also studied at the University of Heidelberg, and I am a fluent speaker of German. I have one year of teaching experience as a university level academic English writing coach, and I am interested in finding work as an English teacher in August.

From the posts I have seen in this forum, my linguistic and academic background seem pretty good. I'll be backpacking in Europe from June to August, so I'm sure I'll be able see what it's like myself.
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenlivet's useful post on your thread on the Spain forum points out the 90 day limit on your travel inside the Schengen zone. This will obviously also apply to job seeking in Germany.

Just to recap, non-EU ciitzens get 90 days inside the Schengen zone (google for a complete list of countries) then must REMAIN OUT OF THE ZONE FOR 90 DAYS before re-entering.

Weekend border runs don't work anymore.

Your backpacking summer followed by a job search won't work legally these days, I'm afraid.
felton

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am allowed to work in the EU zone as an Ami because I am married to a German and have an arbeitserlaubnis (work permit). Since Germany is part of the EU zone, the permit works for all of the EU. This is coming from a man I talked to at the Arbeitsamt in Hamburg.
On the bad side, my expertise is not Business English, nor can I afford to be a free-lancer.
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I'm married to a Czech, and my Czech work/residency permits only allow me to live and work in the Czech rep. Citizenship is required to get reciprocal work permits in other EU countries (I now have this, but didn't until this year - and my marital status did NOT translate to work permits in other EU countries, for sure).
StralsundAmi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:25 am    Post subject: work in other eu countries Reply with quote

I also am married to a German and have an unlimited work and living visa for Germany but have never heard that it would be accepted in any other countries including Schengen countries. It sounds too good to be true perhaps the Beamter at the Arbeitsamt was wrong or we have some new, interesting news!!!
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure it's too good to be true - I work in the Netherlands and my Czech spouse and Czech residency was zero assistance in getting a work permit. The uni had to make a case in court on my behalf.
puhutes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, what Felton says is correct. As of last year, a German work permit will allow you to work in other coutries inside the EU. You may, however, wish to contact the local government (in the country you wish to work it) You may need an entry in your passport just to say it's ok for you to work there. I don't think you can just go there and say here I am, I am ready to work... at least talk with the other countries Auslaenderamt.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: