Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Visas and Permits for teaching in Italy

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TeacherFromNZ

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 8:01 am    Post subject: Visas and Permits for teaching in Italy Reply with quote

Hi

I am a fully registered primary teacher from New Zealand. I am interested in teaching English in Italy but keep hitting brick walls. I am looking at both public Italian schools and private International schools but keep finding the same problem regarding visas. Since I am on a NZ passport, it seems it will be very difficult to get a permit and visa to live and work in Italy.

I have lived in Italy in the past on a student exchange and speak fluent Italian but this doesn't seem to help my cause.

Are there any other people in my situation? How have you gone about getting a work visa and work permit to stay in Italy?

NB It is not the same as having a EU passport that would have me in in the blink of an eye, nor can I claim to have family in Italy. Any help appreciated. Thanks.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend in a similar sitution (except she's from the US). Previous study in Italy, fluent Italian (MA Italian and works as a translator for the drugs industry). She tried for four years to somehow find a way to get legal papers. Three of those four years she spent in Italy, working under the table, making contacts, constantly trying to find a company to support her visa application.

There was just no way to do it. Far too much competition from well-qualified UK teachers.

She worked legally very briefly for a US company's branch in Rome, but they put Italian staff first, and when the economic crisis started, my friend was the first on the street - again.

All this happened before January 2009, when the laws changed to allow non-EU citizens only 90 days in the Schengen zone, then 90 days OUT - my friend kept herself marginally legal with border runs, which are no longer possible.

I know this sounds really bleak - but honestly, the reality is pretty bleak.

You are obviously qualified to work legally at the international schools - but, the problem will be that openings are rare and usually snapped up by people already in Italy with local contacts and reputation.

You may get lucky - and I hope you will! But it's important to have a realistic idea of the liklihood of things working out when you're trying to make plans. Do let us know if something opens up for you - it would be nice to hear a success story! They're unfortunately pretty rare...
TeacherFromNZ

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really what I wanted to hear but thanks anyway. It kind of annoys me as I've lived there before and have lots of friends there. I'm not a dreamer who wants to go to Italy but a realist who has lived there and knows the lifestyle and language.

I've approached some International Schools and the dilemma is this. They require me to have a visa before they can give me a job. To get the visa, I need a permit that I can only get by having a job. It's like a vicious cycle that I can't get into!

I'm still interested to know if there are any other ways around this, while still working legally. Alternatively I'm going to Italy in a few weeks for a holiday and if my last trips are anything to go by, there will be marriage proposals by hunky Italian men. Maybe this time I will have to take them up on it!!!
Glenlivet

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's any consolation the reverse is also true. We tried without success to get work in New Zealand but came up against visa problems. We got positive responses from a few schools but the general message was "when you get here with your visa, come and see us". We would need to be sposored by a school to get visas. Catch 22.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It kind of annoys me as I've lived there before and have lots of friends there. I'm not a dreamer who wants to go to Italy but a realist who has lived there and knows the lifestyle and language.

I understand the frustration. My friend was in the same boat.
Get married! Very Happy
Glenlivet

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TeacherFromNZ wrote:
Alternatively I'm going to Italy in a few weeks for a holiday and if my last trips are anything to go by, there will be marriage proposals by hunky Italian men. Maybe this time I will have to take them up on it!!!

Might be difficult, you'll probably find the hunky Italian have big, hairy violent wives at home Smile
SueH

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenlivet wrote:
Might be difficult, you'll probably find the hunky Italian have big, hairy violent wives at home Smile

Hmm... Glenlivet... you seem to know an awful lot about the situation here..

You also fogot to add, probably living with his (or her) parents as well....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: