Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Job Offer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jenaya

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 10:41 pm    Post subject: Job Offer Reply with quote

Hi there,
I have read posts about getting offers from the big organisations and signing the contract and if you get a better offer just tell the first ones you changed your mind, BUT, how easy is this to do. I mean, are there any legal consequences of doing this? I have been offered a job by Merry House in Shizuoka Prefecture (has anyone heard of them?) but they won't give me any contact addresses of current teachers until I sign the contract...... Is this a dodgy thing???????? Also, they say come over on a WHV and depending on how you contribute to the company, they may sponsor you!!! I do have a BA and am eligible for working visa.
ummmm, I suppose all I can say now is HELP please Laughing
Thanks
Jenaya [email protected]
ps. what are the limitations of using a WHV please.
Sherri

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not heard of this school, but so far they have not treated you very well. What is the point of having contact with teachers after you sign the contract? You need this information to make decisions about signing! Also I don't like the fact that they can't be bothered to arrange your sponsorship. I would say give them a miss. It will only get worse once you start working for them.
Glenski

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jenaya,

WHVs have age limits (18-20), nationality limits (no Americans, but Canadians, Brits, Australians, and New Zealanders may apply), and time limits (some are good for two 6-month periods, others for one 12-month, and I think another is good for 18 months). They also have a limit on the number of hours you are legally permitted to work (although some employers may look the other way on that).

Any employer that refuses to let you talk to the current teachers is hiding something and should be avoided. This goes for ANY company ANYwhere in the world. You should be able to find another employer easily enough.
Shonai Ben

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imo this sounds very shady.I would stay away from this company.
Why do they have so many restrictions on who you can talk to?

If you are going to sign a contract with any company to come to Japan
you should do a search on the company via the internet.

I hope ths helps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: