Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Living costs in Opole

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThoomaasssB

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:42 pm    Post subject: Living costs in Opole Reply with quote

Hi, I've got a quick question, I've been offered 2600PLN to work in Opole, accom not included, what standing of living can I expect?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Sgt Bilko

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not brilliant. About three years ago, people sharing a two bedroomed flat were paying about 650zl a month each plus about 300 in bills. Single flats were about 900zl. Prices probably haven't changed much.

The important thing is to try to get a flat in a block. They don't look as nice as the converted houses but the bills are much less. We had some people with real shocks in nice apartments - 600zl for gas one month in winter for example.

2600zl sounds like an IH wage - see other posts for views on these. There may be some overtime to supplement it and private students. At least there's no tax or insurance to pay.

I'd say that you can live reasonably well but you will probably have to subsidise your travels if you want to see anything of the country / neighbouring countries. Travel / hotels / meals out will soon eat into your money.
lundjstuart

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expect not to accept this offer because it's like a normal office worker's wage. You will have a hard time doing anything.

Did they say net or gross?
maniak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its for 10 hours a week, not bad.
ThoomaasssB

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's IH, 20 hrs i think. I think I'm going to turn it down. Thanks for the responses.
Sgt Bilko

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People don't go to IH for the money. What you get is security (flat found, no paperwork), training (if you're newly qualified you'll end the year in a much better position than if you went to a better paying school where you were left to look after yourself) and the future - stay with IH for a 2nd year increment, move to another IH school in a different country, make contacts with people who know people - you'll meet teachers/senior staff from Wrocalw, Katowice and Bielsko. That's a lot of people who could be working all over the world in a couple of years time and, if you make a good impression on them and keep in touch, that's a hell of a good reason to choose IH.

In the short term it's a rip off but, if you're in this business for the long term it can be a good career move.
anospi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their salaries have gone up - I was on 2350 a few years back. However, word on the street is IH in Opole isn't as good as it once was. There's no DOS there anymore, and a senior staff member travels up from Katowice once or twice a week. I don't think they offer the training opportunities they once did either. i.e. IHYCL course and teaching skills for Cambridge exam courses.

Saying all of this, Opole is a top little city, and there are far worse places you could spend time in Poland. Far far worse places.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: