Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

stay in poland or not?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
katers

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 4:02 pm    Post subject: stay in poland or not? Reply with quote

My background:

25 years old, British, degree in modern languages, CELTA certificate, 18 months of teaching experience in France and Poland.

My situation:

I've been in Krakow teaching English for one year now. I've had a great year in many ways but would like to move on to pastures new. Also, the winter in Krakow this last year was bloody awful (incredibly cold and snowy for 3/4 months, lol). I am also a bit itchy-footed and would like to be in a new place.

However, my boss has given me a great job offer (my choice of working hours, days and levels to teach) for the coming academic year, plus a pay rise. Also, I have some friends here who are staying around next year. My Polish is still pretty shit so if I stay another year I will take more classes and it will get a lot better.

So - what should I do? Stay or go somewhere new? Perhaps to the moon? Any words of advice, abuse or inspiration welcome.
wawawawonder

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Katy,

I was just wondering the same thing for myself.

That winter wasn't the worst I've experienced here by any means but you're right, it was pretty grim. Doesn't the spring (okay, maybe not yesterday!) and the upcoming summer make it worth it in the end?

Do you want to keep teaching? When are you intending to 'settle down'? Does Poland (or Krakow, in particular) have any special allure for you? It is by no means a bad place to teach English, and I think I've just about convinced myself to stay.

The prospect of better pay and more desirable hours has played a big part in that decision for me. Also, it's worth remembering that wherever you go next, you will have to start over. New friends, new activities, new books to teach (a real bugger if you ask me), a new boss to impress. Okay, you can look at these things as opportunities but I think it's important not to throw away what you've achieved in the space of a year just for the sake of some itchy feet.

Later.
dynow

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

first and foremost, you need to think about what you want and what you plan on doing/being in the future.

you're 25. how much longer do you want to/can you travel around the world? if you plan to marry/have kids, things change.

what goals have you set for yourself regarding what you want to see/learn throughout your travels? what language goals, if any do you have?

i've been here 2 1/2 years. i never had any plans of moving out of Poland (unless it was back to the USA) so my situation differs greatly from yours.

you've been here a year. look at Poland for what it is. then think about what your plans are for the next couple years, what you want and don't want, and see if it fits.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice is if you dont have a place in mind that really draws you, and aren't sick-to-death of Poland, stay put.

I left Gdansk a year to come to Thailand and am now preparing to pack my bags and come back to Polska. This is the second time I've left Poland without intending to ever come back, but returned. Somehow the dark, grey place keeps calling me back.

Having a Polish girlfriend here in Bangkok doesn't help me stay away from Poland either.
scottie1113

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are you asking us? Ultimately it's your call to make. I guess it depends on what you want out of life.

Shake, it ain't so grey now. April was stunningly beautiful and May hasn't been bad, although a little wet, but we played poker outside. Sunny and 21C. Rare moments, true, but I savor them whenever I can.

Bring plenty of baht for the games, and say hi to your lovely and talented girlfriend for me.
katers

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scottie: Because I'm crap at making decisions and ideally would like to have a decision-making machine that tells me the right thing to do. In the absence of one of those, and with good friends who tell me that they "can't tell me what to do" as it's ultimately my decision, I'm asking anonymous people on this website to decide my destiny.

So, thank you people.
maniak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katers, if you dont have something holding you down here, a girlfriend, some niche, a great job, theres about a dozen countries Id jet off too where just about everything is better.

And if its the winter thats troubling you, pick up skiing or snowboarding, snow conditions were great in the mountains this year and I spent the winter looking forward to every single weekend.
Revenant
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As per the recent warnings in the Poland section concerning bashing and conduct, Glenlivet decided to ignore those warnings and has learned the hard way what happens. Such type of conduct isn't welcome on these forums and will not be tolerated.

So if folks cannot show self control and civility towards others, expect more bannings to follow.
dynow

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And if its the winter thats troubling you, pick up skiing or snowboarding, snow conditions were great in the mountains this year and I spent the winter looking forward to every single weekend.

or just go to a country that's better in general, where you will have a better summer, and a better winter for skiing and snowboarding.

Poland is hardly the center of winter sports in europe, virtually any other country with skiing is better (Switzerland, Austria, Czech Republic, Italy, etc.) and the summers last about 10 weeks during a good year here. today is June 8th, it's still not warm, and the weather is forecasted to be more of the same straight through to the weekend.

my advice? zmykaj z polski.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: