Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can anyone give me advice, or help, on working in Brazil.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
joejitsu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:28 am    Post subject: Can anyone give me advice, or help, on working in Brazil. Reply with quote

Hello everyone, this is my first post. My name is Joe and I am 24 years old. I have a BA in Economics and International Studies plus a minor in Spanish. When I was 21 I did a study abroad in Brazil, and loved it. I am determined to go back. My mind is already made up, and I am looking for a job in Brazil. Ideally I would prefer to go back to Porto Alegre, but I would be willing to work anywhere in Brazil.

I believe teaching english is probably my best option and a way for me to learn portuguese. I don't expect to make a lot of money. I just want enough to get by in Brazil, live in a safe neighborhood, and have some extra for recreation and to travel around Brazil.

Although, my degree wasn't in English I feel that I have a good grasp of the language, and I am an excellent writer. I have a few questions.

1) Do I need to be certified to find a job in Brazil, and if so what program would you recommend?
2) Did you go to Brazil before or after you had a job?
3) How are hard is it to get a job in Brazil if you are a native english speaker?
4) What can I expect to make?
5) Is there a market for native english speakers outside of Rio and Sao Paulo, especially in the south?

Also, could anyone share their story on how they went to Brazil and found work?

All help is appreciated.
lahermit

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you move to any college town in Brazil you can find plenty of private students easily. I'm living in a small town close Ribeir�o Preto in the state of S�o Paulo. I teach (at my house) less than 20 hours a week and am making around R$2000 per month. Rent + utilities is less than R$400, live with 2 college students in a republica. Only downside is that there is no work from mid-December to mid-February.
dialogal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to throw in a word of encouragement... I'm 38 and have been wanting to do what you describe since I was 'gulp' your age...

Go for it...

I can only say as a newbie about to start down my ESL path, that I have decided to begin by getting a CELTA certificate...

From most of what I've read the CELTA (or any TEFL for that matter) is not required in Brazil. HOWEVER, as you do not have an education degree (and I'm assuming) have not taken many education classes; some training, if only a brief intensive burst, could only do you good...

I think the economy of the CELTA depends mostly on how long you see yourself pursuing ESL...

Either way, good luck... As a side-note, I am leaning toward applying for the CELTA program in Ecuador and teaching there or Colombia to start...

I have been to Brazil twice and remember vividly the sadness that befell me before boarding the airplane home from my most recent trip... The words "Nova Iorque" coming thru the P.A. at the airport rang like daggers in my ears...

My best case scenario for the medium-term is to do 6 months-on and 6 months-off between Colombia and Brazil...
joejitsu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks for the replies. So, if I went down to Brazil and look around I should be fine? I would rather have a job lined up first, but I am willing to risk going down without one. Can anyone comment on the job market in Porto Alegre? I really want to return since I have many friends there, but most people recommend Sao Paolo or Rio.
lahermitda

Location: San Francisco (previously Sao Carlos-SP/Belo Horizonte-Brasil & Osaka/Sapporo-Japan)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are better off teaching privately and not at schools. Schools pay very little and you will have to commute all over the city. Make an advert with your email and put it up at all the big universities in Porto Alegre. Might want to try putting an ad in the newspaper too. It's very easy to find privates if you are a native. There is almost no competition and no need to move to S�o Paulo or Rio to find work. Most people will want to start classes in August. You can get books to teach with at the sebos (used bookstores) around the city.
icehockey23

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Do I need to be certified to find a job in Brazil, and if so what program would you recommend?

Short answer: No. Longer answer: To make more money in the larger markets the vendors that supply the EFL corporate market usually ask for it. In Porto Alegre - dont know. I'd say the most cost-efficient program, most recognized in Brazil (and prob everywhere) would be the CELTA if you have no experience with EFL/ESL.

3) How are hard is it to get a job in Brazil if you are a native english speaker?

Short answer: Not very hard. Longer answer: in larger cities making decent money will take a while. In smaller cities it is probably easier (Porto Alegre maybe somewhere in between) As native speaker you wont have much competition. Avoid the schools unless desperado - they pay shit. The bigger chains are appartently not interested in foreigners on tourist visas anyway. Put ad in newspaper or on craigslist - go for privates as others have suggested.

4) What can I expect to make?

Depends on how ambitious you are and how quickly you can build a network. Dec - March will be pretty lean. Id say an OK salary for Brazil - but not a lot by international standards. Privates (unless corporate) tend to cancel.

5) Is there a market for native english speakers outside of Rio and Sao Paulo, especially in the south?

Yes - probably more so.

If your BA is in economics - Id work that and advise you to go after the "business English" market - corporate clients will pay substantially more than privates ever will.

Enjoy Brazil.
joejitsu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all the replies they have been inspiring and helpful. I am pretty much decided on Porto Alegre now. I have friends there I can stay with, which will be really useful when applying for a VISA. If things dont work out I can always move.

I did forget to ask a question in my original post. Do I need to know Portuguese? I am proficient in spanish, but my portuguese is very basic.
icehockey23

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did forget to ask a question in my original post. Do I need to know Portuguese? I am proficient in spanish, but my portuguese is very basic.

If you speak Spanish - you can get by if you speak slowly - Brazilians should be able to understand around 50% - you should be able to pick up Brazilian Portuguese fairly quickly - Brazilians seem to me to be very patient (probably a huge generalization on my part) but they will probably appreciate it if you dont speak Spanish like many "gringos" and Argentinian tourists do with them.

If I may ask - what kind of Visa are you applying for after you arrive?
joejitsu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figure a tourist VISA would be best.
icehockey23

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the best of my knowledge -

If you are coming from the U.S.A.

To arrive in Brazil you will need some kind of visa - probably tourist is easiest and it will be good for 6 months (used to be 3 months but you could extend it for another 3 in the country with the Federal Police). After that in order to get another tourist visa you will need to leave the country - ive heard that just going to another South American country and applying at a Brazilian consualte wont work but not exactly sure about this.

So to apply for a new visa or change your visa status in Brazil - I think you are going to have to marry a Brazilian.

Or you can just overstay - which is not really a problem - until you want to leave.
vandelay

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

icehockey23 wrote:
To the best of my knowledge -

If you are coming from the U.S.A.

To arrive in Brazil you will need some kind of visa - probably tourist is easiest and it will be good for 6 months (used to be 3 months but you could extend it for another 3 in the country with the Federal Police). After that in order to get another tourist visa you will need to leave the country - ive heard that just going to another South American country and applying at a Brazilian consualte wont work but not exactly sure about this.

So to apply for a new visa or change your visa status in Brazil - I think you are going to have to marry a Brazilian.

Or you can just overstay - which is not really a problem - until you want to leave.

Just to clarify- the tourist visa is good for 6 months but you have to renew it at the policia federal after 3 months. I would say the one advantage of working with a school is they will help you get a visa. I used to teach part time at a school (less than 10 hours per week) and they helped me get a student visa which was good for a year. You could also get that done through the university.
joejitsu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple people have recommended CELTA. For any CELTA certified people out there; where did you take it? Online or at a actually onsite location? Its looking like I will need to rely on private lessons, and I want to be able to provide a good teaching service. I am lucky that I do know a few native Brazilian english teachers who are willing to help me.
evolving81

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also plan to give teaching in Brazil a try. I'm concerned about the pay as I know South America does not offer nearly as much as other areas of the world. Do any of you have any insight to offer regarding securing a job prior to arriving? Or does Brazil just not operate like that?

Also, it appears that the money is in teaching private lessons or for corporations. How exactly do we find these corporations who offer English courses to their employees?

Thanks for the tip about getting a student visa. I realize I will need some Portuguese classes so that would be a good idea as well. But, I assume it is illegal to teach on a student visa, like on a tourist visa? Is it absolutely impossible to get a work visa in Brazil?

Thanks,
Mitch
kiai

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Teaching in Brazil Reply with quote

I have a TEfl with no degree and have been a business man most of my life. Any suggestions as best place to go for teaching. Out of big city is fine with me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Brazil All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: