Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Visa Run to Hong Kong

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pilot82

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Visa Run to Hong Kong Reply with quote

.....Hello, I'm American currently located in China and planning for a L visa run to Hong Kong in 2 weeks or so...but I just checked out the website and it said people who aren't HK workers or residents must apply for visa's in thier home country...I did an L visa run HK from mainland 2 years ago with no problems...Did something change?
sistercream

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Visa Run to Hong Kong Reply with quote

Pilot82 wrote:
Did something change?

Yes. Last time I tried applying for an L visa (in between HK work visas) I was told that I could, IF I could produce a complete itinerary, with confirmed travel & hotel bookings, proof of funds, and a valid airline ticket to return to my home country (returning to HK was not sufficient). I understand that things have relaxed a little since then, but you will have to find an agency with good guanxi with the FAO here. AFAIK you can't do it directly with the FAO at present.
Pilot82

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long ago was this for you if you don't mind me asking
sistercream

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My own last attempt without a current HK/ Macau visa was a year ago (now I have a visa again, so no problems).
But friends without local visas still have to go through agencies (as of this month).
One trustworthy agency which can give updated info (and can usually get L visas done at present) is Westminster Travel:
http://www.westminstertravel.com/hkwtl/eng/Main/main.php?is-session-init=1
GreenCardigan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Planning on looking for work when I get to Hong Kong.

As Canadians, I know that we're given a 90 day visa upon arrival into the country.

Two questions: 1. If you have a one-way ticket for Hong Kong, do you reckon the Narita staff will give you a hard time? (I guess it's preferred that you have a return ticket to somewhere outside the country.)

2. After 90 days, can you take a day trip to Macau and get re-extended, a further 90 day tourist visa? (I imagine there's only so many times that you can do this.

Thanks.
toko

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Green Cardigan- here are some answers from my personal experience (and other's)

1- Nope, no one really cares about lacking a return ticket. We've only had one way tickets arriving in Hong Kong. Several times.

2. Yes, you can easily go to Macau and get re-stamped for entry. We've done this for our last two job hunts, and we're American. I think the most we did was get re-stamped twice. Yes, it is illegal, but everyone does it. The government realizes that this is necessary, since really only the EDB gives out visas prior to arrival. I probably wouldn't do it more than one, just to be sure.

A word of advice for job hunting:

Take whatever is decent as soon as possible. The cost of living eats up your savings. It may not be your dream job right away, but the year goes by really fast in this city. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: