Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please help me find an apartment

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nicole_h20

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Please help me find an apartment Reply with quote

Hi there!
I'm going to be working near Olympic Station and have been hunting for an apartment online for ages. Can anyone offer some advice about how to go about finding a place to stay before going over to HK? Also, if anyone knows of anyone looking for a flatshare that would be great! You can PM me if you want more details about myself!
sistercream

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly, online flat hunting in Hong Kong is a double plus un-good idea. Lack of consumer protection laws mean that anyone can (and they frequently do) put up totally misleading photos and details; and it would seem from feedback on expat websites that just about every ad for HK property on Craigslist is a scam.

Once you hit the ground, you'll find estate agents every which way who can actually show you the properties they advertise. My suggestion would be to book yourself a hostel room or serviced studio for the week you arrive and then take it from there. You can do first-instance research in the B&Bs/ Specialty Lodging sections of TripAdvisor's HK accommodation pages. Another good resource is hongkong.geoexpat.com .
nicole_h20

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the advice! I reckon that's going to be the best way to do things because hours have been spent online and it seems a bit hopeless!
CALVINW33

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you do need an apartment by?

I will be leaving Hong Kong around March and am looking for someone to take over my lease.
nicole_h20

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah that's a pity! I get there beginning of January!
nicole_h20

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone else who can offer some advice: Is it realistic to work in Tai Kok Tsui and live on HK island (like Kennedy Town or Wan Chai)? Or would the commute be too much?
oxi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sistercream wrote:
Once you hit the ground, you'll find estate agents every which way who can actually show you the properties they advertise. My suggestion would be to book yourself a hostel room or serviced studio for the week you arrive and then take it from there. You can do first-instance research in the B&Bs/ Specialty Lodging sections of TripAdvisor's HK accommodation pages. Another good resource is hongkong.geoexpat.com .

x2

For reasonably cheap short-term rooms:-

http://www.rentaroomhk.com - Jordan, I stayed here. Tiny, but clean. Seemed fine to me. But it was 4 years ago - $8000 for 1 month.
http://www.cozy.com.hk - Causeway Bay, I saw a couple of rooms here 4 years ago. Ok. $7000 a month.

More recently I've found slightly, cheaper ones for friends off Nathan Road around Jordan, but they didn't have websites. Similar to Chung King Mansions, just a little less scary looking on the outside.

If you want more comfort/standards, a lot of NET teachers seem to end up in Panda hotel. Cheapest top range is BP International in Kowloon.

If you can get your hands on the 'Hong Kong Magazine' you'll see lots of flat ads (you can sign up on their website and download it)

To get an idea of longer-term options you can also check out:-
asiaexpat - similar to geoexpat

gohome -http://www.gohome.com.hk/en/
My favourite - gives a fairly accurate guide to rentals in all areas of HK. I've used it often to get ideas, and then follow up and visit flats.

For work is in Tai Kok Tsui, Olympic and Mongkok MTR are nearby making travel from Wanchai easy (Wanchai - Mongkok MTR about 15 mins). Kennedy town probably makes it closer to half hour - I'm thinking bus to mtr, then mtr - but there may be a direct bus, not sure.
nicole_h20

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot! That's very helpful! I'll be sure to check those out!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: