Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Public Transport

View previous topic :: View next topic  
babar6789

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:28 am    Post subject: Public Transport Reply with quote

Is it possible to get around by bus or is driving essential? I've heard conflicting reports.

Cheers
Neil McBeath

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:32 am    Post subject: Public Transport Reply with quote

The short answer is that it depends.

If you have plenty of time; if your destination is on a public transport route; if you are prepared to wait in the sun (and humidity) then it's fine.

My experience of public transport in Bahrain is limited to Manamas - Riffa; Manama - Muharraq and Muharraq - International Airport, but the system worked. The buses were cheap, the routes were suitable, and they stayed in schedule.
mouse5

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:29 pm    Post subject: Bus service Reply with quote

The bus service is mainly used by Bahrain's huge TCN population. They can get well over 100 on one of those old school buses. If you want to see the island do a deal with a cab driver for a day.
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buses are okay but a bit hot in the summer. I have used the route from the Bus Station (opposite the noit-recommended Ambassador Hotel) to the British Council, and the one in the opposite direction going to the American Hospital.

This was part of my aptitude test for membership of Klub 300. Of course I failed - on the grounds that serious 300-ers do not go to Bahrain.
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To use buses simply go to the bus station opposite the AMBASSADOR HOTEL ( near the TYLOS). Ask about destinations. Lots of the passengers speak English - most are Asians. As I recollect it fares were 300 fils and 400 fils depending on distance.

I am preparing my initiation into 300 so must refrain from all these luxuries like visits to Bahrain. I hope that mortification of the flesh will havce the desired results.
teachingmaniac

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really is best to have your own car. Taxis are expensive and the buses are usually used by laborers.
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A chauffeur-driven Merc is the answer
Marquess

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Bus service Reply with quote

mouse5 wrote:
The bus service is mainly used by Bahrain's huge TCN population. They can get well over 100 on one of those old school buses. If you want to see the island do a deal with a cab driver for a day.

Mouse 5 briefly worked at a university in Bahrain and is right about the cabs.
babar6789

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys and gals. I'm aware that Middle Eastern countries are driving cultures much like the USA and the UK. It's just that I'm moving to Bahrain to work and I don't have a drivers license.

Gonna have to take the bus to work methinks!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since Bahrain is so small, you may have better luck, but in the rest of the Gulf, there was never a bus line that would have taken me from my residence to my employer... long walks in the burning heat at both ends to get to a stop.

Of course, as a female, I wouldn't have used them anyway.

Good Luck!

VS
babar6789

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, my research indicates that learning to drive in Bahrain isn't a big issue so I guess that getting on the road won't be that hard. However, paying for it, on a teachers salary, might be.
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I can see, Manama is just one big traffic jam. Henry Ford has a lot to answer for !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Bahrain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: