Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

questions on moving to Paris or F in general???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Walter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:45 pm    Post subject: questions on moving to Paris or F in general??? Reply with quote

I would appreciate any honest advice on living in Paris or other parts of France ...

My ladyfriend (+ her 7 year old son) and I would like to move to France for a year (longer, if possible), preferably Paris. She is German, I'm Austrian citizen - so we both have EU passports.

She is a translator and could virtually work from anywhere, my background is in tourism anf for the past 10 years in graphic design - but I would like to leave that field and move into new territories (I do training and coaching in Vienna). Last year I got my CELTA, as I actually wanted to go to SE Asia to teach English (at that time I was still single). I currently do some E-teaching here in Vienna.

My ladyfriend speaks French, I used to, but it's almost gone, so I'd have to brush it up again ... She always wanted to live in France, that's why we decided to possibly give it a try.

My questions are:

How difficult is it to find decent housing for the 3 of us and what would we have to expect to pay, living in a nice area, ideally not too far from the center (we were thinking of trying house exchange services?) but being realistic moneywise ...

How realistic would be my chances to teach English, not being a true native speaker, but having the CELTA (B) under my belt?

What else would we have to consider?

Should we look into other parts of France or would Paris be the place to go?

Thanks in advance for any comments!

Best regards,
Walter
rogan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 2:36 pm    Post subject: France Reply with quote

Walter

Those are BIG questions and I don't have an hour to spare giving details.

But -

Paris is expensive. Living in the centre will cost and arm and two legs.
Living in the banlieu will cost you a broken arm and two broken legs.

There are teaching vacancies available in Language centres that will accept you but the salary will vary from 8 to 15 Euros an hour.

Your partner can certainly operate as a translater if she signs up as an official translater, has her Degrees "homologu�" and pays the registration fees and the operating fees as a "travailleur independant"

There are opportunities " mais ce n'est pas donn�"

Rogan
Walter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 1:19 pm    Post subject: Thanks Rogan � Reply with quote

� for your comments!
suzula_1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 4:39 pm    Post subject: Working in France Reply with quote

You can check FUSAC online for jobs and housing, especially if you want to exchange and/or share. Also expatriates.com has some housing options.

You should have no problems getting a job based on your citizenship, but since you're not a native speaker, that may be a problem. Language schools are hiring all the time and the unis may be interested in you as a temporary/adjunct.

Paris is expensive, but you can find some housing deals. I did. You just need to do a lot of research from home. You won't need a car, so that helps save money.

Good luck!
S6218

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: France Reply with quote

Paris is expensive. Living in the centre will cost and arm and two legs.
Living in the banlieu will cost you a broken arm and two broken legs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I just wanted to comment how funny your response was!!!! Paris is expensive, you're darn right!

S6218
NewParisienne

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:59 pm    Post subject: Living in Paris Reply with quote

I wouldn't really recommend FUSAC for apartment rentals. I think the prices in it are on the high side.

I found my apartment by putting an ad in pap.fr. People called me and I found a really nice place (but tiny!!!) on the top floor of a great building dead centre. 605 euros a month.
eo-nomine

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll echo NewParisienne's comment about FUSAC... you won't get the best deals by looking in there. Flat prices vary greatly from arrondissement to arrondissement, the 12th, 13th, 18th (except for a few famous streets), 19th and 20th being the cheapest overall.

EDIT --- I thought about this the other day... I think the prices are slightly higher, they're around EUR800-900 a month for a basic 3-room flat, in a cheap area. Prices rise to about 1000E/month for a bigger flat, i.e. 60/65m� with still only 3 rooms. Those are more or less the standard prices, and you can find deals, as was stated earlier... but it's not easy. : )

Living in the banlieue might be a good choice, but there are some suburbs which are still very expensive (e.g. some parts of St Cloud, S�vres rive droite, Meudon Bellevue, etc). Suburbs like Malakoff or Clamart are affordable and close to the center (the train takes 10 minutes to go from there to Montparnasse), Boulogne or Charenton might also be good (you can get there by metro).

EDIT again --- cities like Toulouse and Lyon are beautiful places, & could be a good alternative to Paris. However, finding a job there will perhaps be harder than in the Ile de France.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: