Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Man. Utd is/are a plie of ****
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmb

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:05 pm    Post subject: Man. Utd is/are a plie of **** Reply with quote

When talking about football teams I naturally say 'Man. Utd. are.....'
however usually when I read a newspaper it usually says'Man. Utd. is.....'
Which do you prefer and which is correct?
I tell my students both are correct. It depends on your view. If you look at the team as a collective then 'is' is correct. But if you look at the team as a group of 11 individuals then 'are'is correct.
What do you think? (Does it change from week to week?)
What's the grammar purist's point of view of this?
denise

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, stupid question here: is this a British/American thing? If it is, I can't remember which is the American form! I think I would use whichever one just happened to come out of my mouth--both seem correct, for the reasons you stated. Unless, of course, the team name itself is plural, like (switching to baseball now for an example because I don't know many football teams) the San Francisco Giants. I can't imagine anyone using 'is' to refer to the team collectively.

d
denise

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thought--it may depend on whether you refer to the city or to the team name itself.

San Francisco is (are?) a good team.
The Giants are a good team.

OK, get back to football now! Sorry for the interruption!

d
FGT

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I'm aware this is not a UK/US situation, purely that there are some nouns that can be thought of as both singular (a team, a family, etc) or plural ( the eleven players, individual brothers and sisters, etc). I think this would even apply to a team with a plural name, "The Globetrotters is the most entertaining team I've ever seen" but I'm not sure about that.

But I am sure that I can equally say "Chelsea is great" as "Chelsea are great", I think I can say "My family is poor" or "My family are poor". As with most aspects of English language it's what's in the speaker's head that counts. Which other nouns can we use this with? Can we say "The government are debating...." or only "The government is debating..."?

"The fish is/are swimming" makes life so much easier. Why can't more nouns be like this?

And, personally, I would always say that Manchester United is/are a pile of ****!!!!
ls650

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Man. Utd is/are a plie of **** Reply with quote

dmb wrote:
When talking about football teams I naturally say 'Man. Utd. are.....'
however usually when I read a newspaper it usually says'Man. Utd. is.....'
Which do you prefer and which is correct?

'United' is singular. 'Giants' is plural.
I would normally say "United is" and "Giants are".
johnslat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 10:41 pm    Post subject: Yea, team! Reply with quote

Although you'd think teams would follow the "rule" for group nouns:

e.g.

A: The class is taking a test right now.
B: The test is over and the class are going to their cars.

I've never heard "American football teams " - all of which, I believe have plural names (e.g. the NY Jets, the San Francisco 49ers, the New England Patriots, The NY Giants - yup, the Giants ARE a football team, too - the Miami Dolphins, etc.) used as anything but plural. However, the specific team name is often dropped and when that happens, then the team can be singular:

e.g.

A: New England is a great football team.
B: Indy ( the Indianapolis Colts ) is going to lose next weekend.

Regards,
John
leeroy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnslat wrote:
e.g.

A: The class is taking a test right now.
B: The test is over and the class are going to their cars.

Forgive me if I'm being slow here - is this the rule?

In 'A' the class "is" because "the class" is together.

But in 'B' the members of the class are each doing their own thing (as in going to their own cars), hence "are" as a plural is more greatly implied.

So...

When we say "Man U is s***", we are talking about the team's perfomance as a whole.

But "Man U are s***" suggests we are saying that each team player individually is lacking in talent.

Or am I just making this up as I go along... Smile

"The class is rubbish" (Maybe the lesson was bad)
"The class are rubbish" (Each individual student is bad)

Hmm. OK. That works for me...
SueH

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:41 pm    Post subject: The vernacular Reply with quote

Speaking as an English football fan, and not a supporter of Man U, I can assure you that the common vernacular would be 'Man United are s**t'.

So if it comes to language as it is used I think my opinion on this little facet of language is final.

Nevertheless I will conduct further field research and get some confirmation for my viewpoint in the pub before my team's next home game.
johnslat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:42 pm    Post subject: Groupies Reply with quote

Dear leeroy,
Yup, yup.
1. That Is the rule
2. You ARE just making it up as you go along.

However, in this example:

" "The class are rubbish" (Each individual student is bad)."
since you're talking about the class as a whole (each individual student is bad = they're ALL bad), I believe you'd need to write/say:

The class is rubbish.

Regards,
John
Hogbear

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a British/American thing. Brits use the plural for all versions of a team -- e.g., "Mancester are the worst." Associated Press style (U.S.) just recently started using plurals for all sports teams' names -- e.g., "The Colorado Avalance are the best hockey team."

But the difference is even more distinct for band names, which Brits always treat as plural but Americans treat depending on the case of the word. For example:

Blake: "Limp Bizkit is the best, and the Beatles are the worst!"
Liam: "Limp Bizkit are crap, and the Beatles are the greatest."
CountryClub

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember when I was studying German, the professor told the class that the following (English grammar) was correct;

The Police is � (responsible for law and order or whatever you like) but it sounds incorrect. Everyone I have heard, myself included, say the police are� I�m guessing this is a grammar rule that is so commonly broken that it is becoming irrelevant and thus causing so much confusion.
johnslat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:53 am    Post subject: Never say never Reply with quote

Dear CountryClub,
Police and news are "opposite exceptions". Police, which looks singular, is always plural while news, which looks plural, is always singular. Oh, by the way never say always or never where grammar is concerned.
Hogbear

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... I never realized that exception existed. Thanks!
guty

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hogbear is right
it is a uk/us thing, but creeping into the UK.
I was keenly aware of hearing the use of the singular for teams for the first time when I went to the US for the first time shortly after doing my Cert, it was during the European Championship and hearing
'Holland is playing well' grated Can you imagine Kenneth Woolstonholme using the singular, I doubt it.
However during the 90s it began to creep into UK usage and at the moment we seem to be in a crossover period where either are acceptable.
So while the aspect of whether the team is one unit or a collection of individuals may seem to account for this confusion, I simply think it is UK usage following the US once more.
Laura C

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's one of those tricky ones.

Technically you should say 'Man U is...', as you are talking about a team, which is a singular unit. This is standard English I would think.

But it is one of those examples in English where using the other option sounds equally as good. I wouldn't correct a student for using 'are' in that context, as even native speakers will differ here.

It's the same as something like the plural of 'roof' -- it used to be 'rooves' only, but now so many people use 'roofs' that both are in the dictionary.

And hey, why is 'sh*t' the adjective of choice for Man U in this example?!

L
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: