Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

QATAR LEADERSHIP ACADEMY
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saudi4Ever

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: QATAR LEADERSHIP ACADEMY Reply with quote

Hello,

Does anyone have any informaytion on this outfit? I have seen infro on it in the Gulf Times and on the Qatar Foundation website. It is a military stlye school. It sounds too good to be true. It is new, just opened in August 2005.
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: QATAR LEADERSHIP ACADEMY Reply with quote

Saudi4Ever wrote:
Hello,

Does anyone have any informaytion on this outfit? I have seen infro on it in the Gulf Times and on the Qatar Foundation website. It is a military stlye school. It sounds too good to be true. It is new, just opened in August 2005.

At present, the teachers have a nice situation. Class sizes are small, and there is a lot of teamwork among the teachers. The people who I know who work there are pretty happy. Yes, it is in its first year. If you like working with young guys, this could be a good situation for you.

I say "at present" because this is the Middle East... Smile
Saudi4Ever

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Thanks, I was thinking maybe no one had heard of it.

Actually, I am looking into it on two fronts (not for myself).
1. For a potential student
2. Staff

I was shocked when I found out the principle was female! It's an all boys boarding school...I guess being here in Saudi, I forgot that this happens outside...still shocked.

I would appreciate it greatly if you could assist me in any additional information. I'll try and be specific:
1. I am so impressed with EDUCATIONAL CITY and other QF projects. Is the campus of QLA really as impressive as it sounds?
2. Is this like a reform school? I'm from America and when we were told of Military school it was more of a threat for bad behavior. However, there are of course the elite ones for the filthy rich. How tolerant is the school of bad behavior?
3. I heard their were only around 50 students this year with plans on increasing each year. Are they currently hiring more teachers? If so what are the qualifications needed?
4. Is the curriculum challenging? How would an adverage to below adverage student do there?
5. Where does staff live and what is the compensastion package like?

Ok... that's all for now. I'm sure I'll think of something else. I'm trying to help someone find a job (American i don't know their qualifications) who may also be interested in putting their kid there.

Thanks again!
Mac3376

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:41 am    Post subject: Job Offer QLA Reply with quote

Hello,

Just been offered a Job within QLA, Im due to Fly out next month to have a recce, can anyone give me some information on the academy good or bad as I understand it has just opened,

Your Help is greatly desired.

Mac
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Job Offer QLA Reply with quote

Mac3376 wrote:
Hello,

Just been offered a Job within QLA, Im due to Fly out next month to have a recce, can anyone give me some information on the academy good or bad as I understand it has just opened,

Your Help is greatly desired.

Mac

The people I know who are working there are satisfied. You should check out the housing --if you can-- and try out the daily commuting route. Doha is an absolute mess these days, with roads appearing and disappearing every week. Your work at QLA will be the least of your worries.
tiberio

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: qatar foundation Reply with quote

do all academic jobs in qatar go via qatar foundation? when looking at the website, there dont seem to be any openings there or is this my firefox browser again?
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saudi4Ever wrote:
1. I am so impressed with EDUCATIONAL CITY and other QF projects. Is the campus of QLA really as impressive as it sounds?

No. Don't get me started.

Quote:
2. Is this like a reform school? I'm from America and when we were told of Military school it was more of a threat for bad behavior. However, there are of course the elite ones for the filthy rich. How tolerant is the school of bad behavior?

It is not a reform school. It is a training school for future officers. They are not filthy rich; if they were, they wouldn't be heading into the military. They are about as well / as poorly behaved as any bunch of Gulf Arab teenagers.

Quote:
3. I heard their were only around 50 students this year with plans on increasing each year. Are they currently hiring more teachers? If so what are the qualifications needed?
4. Is the curriculum challenging? How would an adverage to below adverage student do there?

Ok... that's all for now. I'm sure I'll think of something else. I'm trying to help someone find a job (American i don't know their qualifications) who may also be interested in putting their kid there.

Thanks again!

Sorry, your time is up.
dmb

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qatar Leadership. hmmm. does anyone else think this is a rather strange collocation?
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmb wrote:
Qatar Leadership. hmmm. does anyone else think this is a rather strange collocation?

It does seem a little odd...

Smile
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: qatar foundation Reply with quote

tiberio wrote:
do all academic jobs in qatar go via qatar foundation?

Heavens, no. There's the College of the North Atlantic (non-Canadians need not apply), Weill Cornell med school, CMU, Georgetown, Texas A& M, and Virginia Commonwealth, at least. All of these places hire on their own.

I don't think that QF hires any teaching staff directly. The local "centers" (ABP, the QA schools, and the special-ed school) all hire independently of QF.

Quote:
when looking at the website, there dont seem to be any openings there or is this my firefox browser again?

Google the schools that you are interested in.
Saudi4Ever

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bindair Dundat wrote:
Saudi4Ever wrote:

No. Don't get me started.

Oh do tell!

Quote:

It is not a reform school. It is a training school for future officers. They are not filthy rich; if they were, they wouldn't be heading into the military. They are about as well / as poorly behaved as any bunch of Gulf Arab teenagers.

That's not what I heard. I hear it is a training school for future leaders of that country and that the students are from the wealthiest families and the ones with wasta.

Quote:

Thanks again!

Sorry, your time is up.
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saudi4Ever wrote:

That's not what I heard. I hear it is a training school for future leaders of that country and that the students are from the wealthiest families and the ones with wasta.

Right. Rich, influential Arabs send their teenaged sons to military-style training schools so they can learn to lead the country. Of course.

Reality check: If you have wasta, you don't need to learn --or do-- ANYTHING.
Archangel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:52 am    Post subject: Contact details Reply with quote

Does anyone know the contact details of this military college or who I am write to?

Thanks.
wilberforce

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This place operates under Qatar Foundation in Al Khor. The latest (very bad) news is about 1/3 or more of the staff have just quit. The director has quit so the others are following. Mismanagement, broken promises and a host of problems have plagued this place. They are supposed to be offering an IB but the students are just not up to scratch. A dilemma. Soon the Aeronautical College will be joining somewhere in Al Khor so they will be sharing some facilities.

There should be quite a few jobs on offer.

Tel: +974.474.2222 | Fax: +974.474.2173
P.O.Box 24421, Qatar

http://www.qla.edu.qa/
wilberforce

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The director and his assistant resigned (unhappy with the way things are run) so about half of the staff (western) have quit too in solidarity. They don't want to risk staying around for the new management outfit. So things are pretty chaotic at the moment. Who knows what the new management will be like.

Last edited by wilberforce on Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: