Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Salary at HCT?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anaxiforminges

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Afra wrote:
We also have access to a pool but as there are Arabs with the same access, we don't use the pool.

May I ask why not? I'm curious because we'll also have access to a communal pool and I'd prefer to know pool etiquette before any faux pas emerge...
helenl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll let Afra speak for herself, but it can be very inhibiting to have a group "staring" at you as you swim or lounge around the pool. Especially if they're young/teenage males who feel the need to comment (whether in English or Arabic is irrelevant - like females everywhere, you know who/what they're talking about.
anaxiforminges

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

helenl wrote:
I'll let Afra speak for herself, but it can be very inhibiting to have a group "staring" at you as you swim or lounge around the pool. Especially if they're young/teenage males who feel the need to comment (whether in English or Arabic is irrelevant - like females everywhere, you know who/what they're talking about.

Pardon my ignorance, but I thought only Southeast Asians stared in "that way" in the UAE. That said, I did read a report by a female faculty in AD saying that she was stared at relentlessly around the pool, though for whatever reason she didn't specify the nationality.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no... staring at women is the national sport... not terribly surprising in a culture which keeps the sexes so segregated. Even though it is considered "haram" (a sin) for a Muslim to stare at the opposite sex. With the Asians, there is no cultural taboo and add that to the fact that most of these men only see their wives every 3 or 4 or 5 years.

I suspect that there may not be a problem at the pool where you will be living... certainly not from Asian workers. Some places schedule different people on different days.

VS
homeless vet

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what we've gathered, the best course of action is to make sure the housing itself is nice...and then you buy a membership to use the facilities at a Western-style hotel nearby to avoid such issues.
helloworld2009

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Afra wrote:
Our villa has three bedrooms, a large landing/living area, an extremely large living room, maid's room and four bathrooms. Garden all round. We also have access to a pool but as there are Arabs with the same access, we don't use the pool.

Sounds like you have a very nice place there Afra! Whereabouts in the UAE is your villa and who do you work for...? Laughing (only jokin!!)

Smile

A pool would be a bonus, but as long as its got a couple of bedrooms I think we would be fine!

I'm not sure why I'm thinking of accommodation as I have not even got an interview yet!! I like to plan ahead too much I guess!

cheers for now

hw2009
anaxiforminges

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
Oh no... staring at women is the national sport...

I suspect that there may not be a problem at the pool where you will be living... certainly not from Asian workers. Some places schedule different people on different days.

VS

LOL on the "national sport"! Razz

If all else fails my wife could order a "burkini". As I recall, the "modest" swimsuit was a much-discussed topic when I first joined this forum...
ItsJustMe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
Oh no... staring at women is the national sport... not terribly surprising in a culture which keeps the sexes so segregated. Even though it is considered "haram" (a sin) for a Muslim to stare at the opposite sex. . .

VS

Ironic that they will judge Western women in swimsuits, while at the same time staring self-indulgently. I pride myself on keeping an open mind - while staring self-indulgently Smile
helloworld2009

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm presuming I didn't get an interview for this position (which is mentioned earlier in the thread) - the job deadline was 15th August - so I'm guessing HCT would have short listed those for interview by now?

Back to jobs.ac.uk searching for 'education technology' etc in 'uae' for now I think.....

hw2009
helenl

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't give up all hope - deadlines are "elastic" in the Gulf and right now HR depts are very busy with those already hired. However, there may be no-shows which will mean they'll be looking at the pool of applicants again.

Yes, continue your search, but don't be surprised if you get a call out of the blue.
Never Ceased To Be Amazed

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

helenl wrote:
Yes, continue your search, but don't be surprised if you get a call out of the blue.

Ditto dat!

NCTBA
helloworld2009

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the renewed optimism!

I guess it has *only* been a few days since the closing date for this particular job - so I could still be in with a shout! Fingers crossed.

Would a "your selected for an interview" come by telephone, email or both? And if I'm not successful - just an email I guess?

Cheers...happy weekend!

hw2009
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally they inform people who are not being considered, so it might be no news is good news. HCT is one of the few places that even bothers. But at this time, they are too busy to be even thinking about interviews. Presumably this is for 2nd semester anyway, so I'd not expect to hear much until... perhaps even after the Eid. Ramadhan is not a productive month. Laughing

VS
helloworld2009

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No news is good news! I like that idea very much!
helloworld2009

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of interest...

Does HCT "like" "accept" online MA's?

I only ask as my MA in Online and Distance Education was...suprise suprise done online....(at The Open University, Milton Keynes, this MA is world reknown for being one of the best of its kind).

The job I applied for had a "desirable" of an MA in online education or an MA in Education Technology or similiar.....

Obviously, doing this type of MA online has its benefits as the subject is online learning etc!! Would be pretty pointless being on campus and trying to experience online learning/educational technology that we are studying...

Any ideas?

cheers,

hw2009
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10

Jump to: