Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Salary at HCT?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

helloworld2009 wrote:
Does HCT "like" "accept" online MA's?

Yes. The Ministry of HIgher Education accepts online MAs; the Ministry of Education (K-12) does not. At least that was the latest report.

VS
ckhl

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SheikhShamal wrote:
Coming back to salary, I have just left the HCT system (thank God!).

Why you say that, is it so awful there. Throughout all post, yes HCT has some disadvs, but also has many positive advantgs. What did bother you specifically.
Also for all other people, I read that HCT is a very stable place..also the hiring process is very organized. !!

I am a 12-year veteran of the HCT. It's been a little over two years since I got out (thank God!). I"ve never looked back. I suffered serious burn out. I could see those colleagues three years behind me who'd accepted, with some misgivings, as had I, a fourth contract right at the time of my departure. I laughed and speculated to them how they'd be once they had reached my "status".

What's the problem? Top heavy, very vertical management style...with any number of spineless, intellectually-challenged supervisors et al. Yes, there are a number of tales to tell. What I found most sickening was the posturing on the part of too many colleagues to get noticed and then the inevitable, invidious comparasons supervisors would then make. It could be rather divisive. I wonder to what extent these colleagues knew that all this posturing was primarily for their supervisors' own self promotion to the layer of management above them.
one bird

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

helloworld2009 wrote:
Thanks for the renewed optimism!
Would a "your selected for an interview" come by telephone, email or both? And if I'm not successful - just an email I guess?
hw2009

Well, keep an eye...may be any one will not show up there...so you can be contacted as long as there is no clear word about rejection.
The contact for interview is mostly by email.
So, keep looking for posts in every place no body knows which will reply.
It is usually the place you suspect to reply, would not and another place you do not expect to hear from them, they send you for an interview.
Good luck

Last edited by one bird on Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
ckhl

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is usually the place you suspect to reply, would not and anther place you do not expect to hear from them, they send you for an interview.

I should be most grateful if you could clarify.
one bird

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ckhl wrote:

I should be most grateful if you could clarify.

Simply, he should try all places. Even he feels positive toward certain place, it might not come. He might discover a new place and did not know about before, but this place can be his future...No body knows..you just try and see what comes and do not be biased since from my experience not always the place you wish to go is your disteny....it can be another one.
helloworld2009

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the good luck and confidence!

The only problem is - I've been looking since the start of the year for jobs (that I am qualified for, can do, and have done) in the UAE - and this is the only one that has ever come up! Shocked (Its pretty much identical to the one I am doing currently in the UK).

So myy concern is, if this application isn't successful it could be a long wait for a similar type role to appear in the UAE again....

I've wanted to work in the UAE for a good number of years now, but only decided that I should seriously look at the opportunities that arise there since January 2009 - I wish I had looked sooner!!! Smile

any hints, tips, ideas, where I should look for similar type jobs in the UAE? Are there any new Universities that are opening soon in the UAE that may require this type of role? Obviously, I appreciate sending speculative CVs to Universities etc is probably not a good thing if there is no job advertised.....

What if this application fails - where, how do I continue my search? Confused

cheers for your help - your a very helpful bunch!

hw2009
helloworld2009

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alas no word from HCT about my application.(sent way back in June - the job application expired in the middle of August 2009)..so I'm assuming I have been unsuccessful!

My search continues!

hw2009
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was this for standard EFL teaching or content?

Normally HCT is good about telling people that they are "not" interested. So, not hearing anything suggests that your application may have slipped through the cracks. Have you emailed and asked them?

You might try applying again... for January.

VS
D. Merit

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
Normally HCT is good about telling people that they are "not" interested.
VS

That wasn't my experience.

I was interviewed twice over a ten year period and was never informed that they were not intereted.

It was then 'third time lucky'.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DM... do you mean lucky and were hired or lucky to get the "no thanks" letter. Laughing

One can only speculate on the secret workings of HR, but it is possible that you went into the "pool" and then none of the particular colleges wanted or needed you. It also might depend on the time of the year and how buried they are in applications or current staffing in HR. It seems to be right at the start... before interview... where they send off the most "no thanks" letters. And quite a few get that letter after the interview. That alone puts them way ahead of most of the rest of the employers who never bother to say anything if they are not interested in you. (which includes universities in the US too...) But that still leaves quite a few people in limbo.

VS
helloworld2009

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just when I thought I'd lost all hope! I get a confirmation of a video interview!

All I need to do now, is search these forums to find out about these video interviews! Smile Any tips appreciated!

hw2009
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good News... another step!

There have been some threads on the interviews in the past if you can dredge them up. In general, the advice seems to be to dress professionally and be honest. They tend to ask the usual questions like what have you done and then they might throw out something like... how do you handle discipline problems... what was the most successful class you have ever taught... how would you teach X to level Y. It is very hard to predict because the interviews are done by different people all the time. I would be ready to explain how I would go about preparing to teach something that I hadn't taught before in case they ask you about how to teach something you truly don't know. (after all, most of us haven't taught all levels or all skills or every esoteric grammar point.

One friend ended up with a terrible connection and there were major problems with both sides misunderstanding what had been asked and answered. She was certain that it had been a complete loss, but she got an offer. This was for content not EFL.

Good Luck

VS

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

helloworld2009 wrote:
Just when I thought I'd lost all hope! I get a confirmation of a video interview!

All I need to do now, is search these forums to find out about these video interviews! Smile Any tips appreciated!

hw2009

Well, they might ask you the following questions:

1. Why are you interested in a position with the HCT?

2. Describe yourself in the words of an imaginary, fair and impartial critic.

I wonder how are you going to answer the second one? Laughing
anaxiforminges

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or, you may get the stumper: "How do you feel about Arabs?"
johnslat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear anaxiforminges,

To which the reply might be: Exactly the same way that I feel about generalized questions.

Regards,
John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10

Jump to: