Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Steven's English Germany

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul_Revere

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:13 am    Post subject: Steven's English Germany Reply with quote

I worked for Steven's some time ago.

A condition of my contract was furnished family accommodation. When I arrived with my family, there was no accommodation. I spent two days in a hotel with my family at my own expense.

The flat he provided had no furniture, light fittings, sink, taps, or cupboards and was in a block of poor foreign immigrants. After argument he provided some fittings - of junk shop standard.

I was considered more of a possession than an employee and the management felt free to come to my flat at any time in order to give me some extra work. The contract for the flat was between Stevens and the flat owner, therefore giving me no rights at all. Steven's handyman let himself into the flat unannounced on several occassions while my wife and children were alone there.

My first months pay was 500 Euro. Despite working long hours (often 7am to 9pm) I was paid only for contact hours. I had come from Eastern Europe but my new salary in Germany was much less than I had previously earned.

I would not recommend taking employment with this company.
thebigeasy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:13 pm    Post subject: Echo that Reply with quote

I had an interview with this school about a year back. All sweetness and light to get me to come join them. They also said to me they would provide accommodation as part fo the deal.

They then sent me photos of what I can only describe as miserable rooms with little furniture and what there was of it was old and in a state of considerable disrepair, broken down filthy plumbing and windowless spaces.

It's up to folks to choose who they wish to work for but, given what was on offer to me by Steven's, I said no way.
msjack01

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I interviewed with them in Cologne. They insisted they paid better than anyone else in the city, but it was hard to pin down a number because of different working hours each month and how some jobs paid different rates and some paid for travel and so on. They are one of the only schools in Cologne that offer full time employment as opposed to freelance. I received many other offers for much higher hourly wages from other companies, and went back to Stevens and asked if they could give me a higher wage. The interviewer became angry and basically kicked me out of the building. I've since met others working there and haven't heard a single good thing about it.
MattPhew

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked for them in Cologne for two years and can only contradict what has been written elsewhere.

They hired me directly from England and helped me find accomodation which was good and affordable. I taught a lot of hours, about 120-140 hours a month and was always treated fairly. The team is mainly made up of young teachers who all get on with one another. The turnover of staff is low which says a lot about the company. They had a trainer who used to work for Inlingua in Cologne and thought Stevens was paradise in comparison.

Stevens offers contracted positions as opposed to freelance jobs and therefore the hourly rate is lower as holidays and public holidays are paid, and I earned net about �1500-1700 per month. Even over Christmas or the summer the payment was much the same. Not enough to drive a Porsche, but more than average for an EFL teacher in Cologne.

I can only speak as I found them. As I said, I was there two years and can only recommend them. If you treat them fairly, they treat you fairly.
Hod

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Steven�s place sounds nondescript, but some posters above know diddly squat about teaching/living in Germany.
MattPhew wrote:
Stevens offers contracted positions as opposed to freelance jobs and therefore the hourly rate is lower as holidays and public holidays are paid, and I earned net about �1500-1700 per month. Even over Christmas or the summer the payment was much the same

The alternative is freelancing, which straightaway means paying your own health insurance. Me and mine pay �350 a month. Call me a hypochondriac, but health insurance is a pretty wise choice and, as of 2009, is compulsory for anyone living in Germany.

Way worse for freelancing teachers is the 19.5% of your gross salary going to the German Pension Insurance.

Contracted teachers avoid these problems. Any contracted position in Germany, however, is horrendously expensive for the employer. The number of these jobs for language teachers could be counted on the thumbs of one foot. If you�re teaching English with a contract, you are doing OK.

And the guy who arrived with his family, pray tell, what sort of accommodation were you expecting? Your previous employer no doubt had you wined and dined suited and booted in the Odessa Hilton, but brand new arrivals in Germany normally spend a few weeks getting sorted.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: