Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GUST tries to silence a whistleblower
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
15yearsinQ8

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:32 am    Post subject: GUST tries to silence a whistleblower Reply with quote

more to follow
sliderama

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i c GUST has an ad on tesol.org, please give more info about the 'silencing'
15yearsinQ8

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i pm'ed you
grab-bag

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not the first time. Remember what they did to Sami a few years ago. GUST just can't handle the truth; they don't want reforms, they don't care about students or staff, only money!
bedwiya

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: More dis-GUSTing than ever Reply with quote

Four new, native speakers have quit/done runners since the fall semester began in September. No HOD and the department is in total chaos. Teachers are now here to "entertain" students not actually teach them anything useful. If you care anything about standards and actually enjoy teaching, stay far, far away from here. It is only getting worse - total disrespect for teachers both by students and admin.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm what bedwiya says... total chaos in the TEFL department. By next semester they will be down 5 native speaker teachers.

Stay far far away...

VS
15yearsinQ8

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

finally i am not the lone voice crying in the wilderness !

would you believe the latest in the ultimate pursuit of revenue, GUST sacked a EFL teacher who publically 'humiliated' a student for their 45 absences! GUST kept the student and let the teacher go.
Anybody wanna bet the student passes?

Now THAT teacher should get out her whistle.......UMSL Board of Directors, Private University Council in Kuwait, hell even ultraconservative members of Parliment who want something to grill the female Minister of Education on......get your severance pay and blow baby blow.....
bedwiya

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:07 am    Post subject: GUST Reply with quote

That student had more than 60 absences. Latest edict - no student will fail due to absences. They can now only show up on exam dates and still have the same chance to pass the class as the poor kid who actually shows up everyday and works to improve him/herself.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah... the Cairo University system has been adapted. This would be all fine if students were actually... um... "failed" for their test performance.

VS
rowntree

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to believe that if kids missed 75% of school they had to repeat the year, but apparently not so straightforward.

They have to have missed 75% CONSECUTIVE.....LOL....so basically that means your school or uni can accept a student taking 10 days off, 3 days on, 14 days off , 1 day on.......and still must pass them up. Shocking, eh?
grab-bag

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teachers are treated like drivers. A person with integrity stands no chance in the cesspool. They need Mr. Clean to come with cleaning crew and sanitize the whole place.
doner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But still humiliating him was unnecessary
johnslat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear doner,

The question is - what did this "humiliation" consist of? It sounds to me as though it might well have been an administrator at GUST who labelled whatever took place as a "public humiliation."

Does anyone know what actually happened?

Regards,
John
bedwiya

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "public humiliation" was indeed a label given by Administration to justify their action. Comment was not said directly to the student - student was not even in the classroom. Teacher lost their cool - no excuse for that - but a situation that many of us may be able to relate to here. Sometimes only by the grace of God do I bite my tongue in time and make it back to my office to recover my composure and vent my frustration.

Said student was overheard last week asking for a certain person who "had the power" to change her failing grade. Student is either so stupid or arrogant that she didn't care that her query was overheard by a staff member and a few teachers. The danger is giving these 18 year-olds this much power. They know they can misbehave and fail and think they have the "right" to be promoted anyway. They do not learn accountability or responsibility at all and pity the teacher who tries to teach them these important life skills. This is very unfair to the kids who actually show up everyday and try their best to improve themselves.
grab-bag

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gust still treats its staff disgustingly. Definitely not worth working at unless you are desperate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: