Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching in Sydney without a degree

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgs2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:09 pm    Post subject: Teaching in Sydney without a degree Reply with quote

What are the opportunities to teach english in Sydney if you don't have a degree. I've completed 2 and a half years of my four year degree, so almost the same amount of time as a three year degree. Is it still possible to find work without a degree? I have a TESOL from Vietnam and have experience teaching English in VIetnam. I'm interested in finding part time work on the weekends in Sydney. I'd appreciate any advice, thank you.
krayola

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Work is definitely available considering you have a TESOL cert and experience

A degree isn't that important unless it has at least 90 hours of TESOL related learning - that qualifies you as TESOL trained and that's all the authorities, and therefore legitimate schools, are interested in

search for TESOL on seek.com.au and some job ads will turn up, plus try UTS Insearch as they always seem to be looking for at least casual workers.

Sydney is definitely the place for TESOL work in Oz
mgs2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your response krayola. I find your response interesting because I was just talking to someone from TEFL Internationals office in Sydney (they now run their TESOL course in Sydney) and they told me quiet the opposite, that there is an enormous over supply of ESL teachers in Sydney and that its really hard to find work.

TESOL in Seek doesn't come up with to much - just 14 options. Krayola are you currently working in the industry in Sydney? Could others perhaps share their experience finding work in Sydney, is it a matter of going in person to all these places, handing over your resume and trying to find someone in HR to talk to? I appreciate all responses, thank you.
krayola

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol

Apologies about how unhelpful my response seems to have been. I am working in the industry in Sydney atm. I'm inexperienced (just two years) compared to my colleagues and I do base some of my knowledge of the industry here on their experiences, which all seem to have been quite positive in the past in regards to finding work.

When I was searching for work earlier in the year I'd generally put in tesol, tefl, elicos, neas, even english teaching or celta to sometimes find different results.

I'm not a DOS and haven't had to look for a job in a while, hence my outdated understanding of the Sydney TESOL job market.
mgs2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for those points krayola, I think you're right key terms in seek are effective for finding jobs. I'm interested in finding weekend work, is there much of that in Sydney, or is most of the work during the week? Alternatively I'd also be interested in evening work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: