Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best place to teach (besides Jakarta)?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mimicik

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:09 am    Post subject: Best place to teach (besides Jakarta)? Reply with quote

I'm looking into a move to Indonesia before the end of the year and of course have some questions. First, I'm 25, have a BS in Communications with a minor in English and an AA in Liberal Arts from a top-tier US university. I also have one year experience teaching both children and adults in Istanbul and a TEFL certificate (online).

After Istanbul and NYC I would prefer to not live in Jakarta even though I know the pay is better. Of course Bali is my first choice and I know jobs are hard to find there. A place where I could at least escape to surf on the weekends would be ideal, and a place where I could feel relatively safe as a single female is necessary.

Side note, when I'm stateside I'm a bartender, and a pretty good one at that. Would there be any chance of getting bar work in Bali or another beach town as another option?

Thanks in advance!
Tudor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Side note, when I'm stateside I'm a bartender, and a pretty good one at that. Would there be any chance of getting bar work in Bali or another beach town as another option?

In a word, no. Bear in mind that a bartender will probably earn about $100 a month, so unless you're willing to work for the same or less - as well as illegally, as you're not going to get a work permit for a job that millions of Inodnesians can do - then there'd be no incentive for anyone to employ you.

Can't help with your other question, I'm afraid.
kucinggarong

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:55 am    Post subject: re Locations other than Jakarta or Bali Reply with quote

I believe there is excellent surf on the west coast of Sumatra, including Pulau Nias, although some of these sites are very remote. Possibly you could access these beaches if you were working in Padang, the capital of West Sumatra. The Batak are great people and many Indonesian intellectuals are of Batak background. Also they traditionally have matrilineal property inheritance rights , so I guess that implies they respect women, not that Indos in general don't. Anyway I think that West Sumatra is worth considering, even though it is obviously less western than Bali they do have a strong local intellectual tradition, probably more so than Pulau Dewa (Bali).
chezal

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: re Locations other than Jakarta or Bali Reply with quote

kucinggarong wrote:
Possibly you could access these beaches if you were working in Padang, the capital of West Sumatra. The Batak are great people and many Indonesian intellectuals are of Batak background. Also they traditionally have matrilineal property inheritance rights , so I guess that implies they respect women, not that Indos in general don't. Anyway I think that West Sumatra is worth considering,.

I agree that West Sumatra is a great place. Padang has the best food (IMO) in the whole of Indonesia. Actually the food across the whole of Sumatra is nicer than Java. Surfing is easy accessible from Padang. Also there are lots of nice lakes and mountains nearby. Bukittinggi (1-2hours from Padang) is my favourite town in Indonesia. It's a lovely laid back mountain town. There is also Lake Manijauh which I love. However the people from there are Minangkabau not Batak. Batak's (few different tribes of Batak's) are from North Sumatra.

North Sumatra would be another place I would recommend while surfing wouldn't be accessible every weekend from Medan you aren't far from Aceh and Nias where it would be easy to take a holiday from Medan over a long weekend. For the weekends it very easy to go to the mountains (1.5hours), Lake Toba (3-4hours away), Bukit Lawang (3hours) to see the oranguatans etc. Medan itself isn't the nicest city but what city is in Indonesia.

I lived in Sumatra for 4 years and loved it. I'm now in Java and looking for an opportunity to go back. I found Sumatra to be safe for being a young female. You just obviously need to take the usual safety precautions that you would anywhere in the world.

Good luck with the search. Smile
ExpatLuke

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard Yogyakarta is great. Very few job options there though. But REAL is hiring now for low pay. But the low pay might not be as big of a deal, since the cost of living is much lower there.
Matt_22

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandung, with weekend trips to Batu Karas.
mimicik

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, all of this is so much help. I started applying today so wish me luck. Saving EF for worst case scenario...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: