Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

For Ladies Only!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ilja

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: For Ladies Only!! Reply with quote

Ok, I've checked out many of the posts here, but admittedly, I did not click on every single one of them to check if this topic has been covered in the past...so maybe it has..BUT...

I would like to know what the female teaching population thinks of teaching (or working elsewhere) in Taiwan! I'm interested in all points of view of course from living alone to finding an abortion clinic or buying female condoms and having relationships or just plane normal everyday stuff!! Tell me your best and/or worst experiences so I can log them neatly into my brain compartment for future usage!!

Of course, you gentlemen out there, you may contribute as well but try to keep it to the ladies issues only!!!!

Cheers and Happy New Year!
Ilja
Taylor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 4:11 am    Post subject: Try focusing on students... Reply with quote

You might do well to find out more about language, culture shock, dealing with the MOE, etc.

Just my .02.....sorry.
WorkingVaca

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 9:42 am    Post subject: It's a man's world no matter where in the world Reply with quote

All I can say is that it's a man's world anywhere you go, although to lesser degrees in some places of course. I don't find Taiwan to be espcially difficult.

As for relationships, Chinese men are certainly more conservative, and many of them have a stereotype of western women as being loose and great for a fun time, but not for having a serious relationship with. I have more than a few broken-hearted foreign friends whose Chinese boyfriends aren't commiting to them (because of family objections, etc.). As for reltionships with other foreigners, you can pretty much forget that since most of them have a serious dork factor that Chinese people can't spot because they fall outside the culture. They are the losers you'd NEVER date back home. Also, a lot of foreign men are into "Asian girls" because they've sterotyped them as more submissive, friendly, thin, family-oriented, traditional, etc., etc., than Western women.

Personally, I'm not here to find a husband or long-term boyfriend, so none of this concerns me. But your questions about abortions and female condoms lead me to believe that you're looking to party and experience the LOCAL FLAVOR? Then stay away from the foreigner bars because you'll be sorely disapointed.
Mozilla

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WorkingVaca is very wise.
TaoyuanSteve

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: It's a man's world no matter where in the world Reply with quote

WorkingVaca wrote:
As for reltionships with other foreigners, you can pretty much forget that since most of them have a serious dork factor that Chinese people can't spot because they fall outside the culture. They are the losers you'd NEVER date back home. Also, a lot of foreign men are into "Asian girls" because they've sterotyped them as more submissive, friendly, thin, family-oriented, traditional, etc., etc., than Western women.

Who is really being "sterotyped?"
WorkingVaca

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 3:32 am    Post subject: Safety Reply with quote

Ilja, here's a related thread:

Is Taiwan Safe for Foreign Women?
http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/job/viewtopic.php?t=1078&highlight=
Ilja

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 1:56 am    Post subject: thanks! Reply with quote

Thanks for the input...I did read the thread with interest and it seems I'm getting polar opposite responses...a healthy dose of advice! I guess I'll take the middle ground and decide for myself if living as a girl in an Asian culture is hard or easy. Adios amigos and thank you once again for your input!
razoo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WorkingVaca wrote:

Quote:
As for relationships with other foreigners, you can pretty much forget that since most of them have a serious dork factor that Chinese people can't spot because they fall outside the culture.

roflmao

razoo, ancient dork
dork factor: 14 (on a scale of 10)
jason_seeburn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: For Ladies Only!! Reply with quote

[][]

Last edited by jason_seeburn on Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Polina

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 6:56 am    Post subject: Deodorant Reply with quote

A tip: you can get deodorant of all sorts at Watsons, which are all over the place. Some of it can be cheap: a smallish roll-on for NT$60 last time I looked. Things often go on sale there. Admittedly, a lot of Taiwanese don't use it: they think their superiorly designed Chinese bodies don't need it.
Mozilla

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this thread reeks of racism
Ilja

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I don't know how asking about women's experiences can lead to racist comments...but ok....Perhaps I was being vague when I asked about abortions and female condoms, but I also just want to know what it is like to live there as a single woman (not insinuating that I am looking for a good time or to test the 'local flavor'..nor that I am single!)
As for the deodorant comments, I've found that only here in North America are people obsessed with having no hair under their armpits and must always smell fresh as a daisy.... elsewhere in the world these things are considered quite natural and indeed, acceptable.
matchstick_man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never had any problem finding male deodorant of the spray-on kind in the hardware stores....Lynx.
trukesehammer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 9:09 am    Post subject: Losers! Reply with quote

Hehehehehe!

http://www.nomarriage.com/loser.html
http://www.nomarriage.com/foreign.html

Sorry, folks, I couldn't help it! This is just too funny... Anybody got a cool, comparable website from a WOMAN'S perspective?

TKH
Polina

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 11:06 am    Post subject: Racism Reply with quote

RACISM??? I was merely reporting things I've heard that THEY say! Who's racist? Maybe they don't all say things like that, but I know it's not shocking to them to say they are the superior race. Have you spoken to many of them? I know people who speak Mandarin - in fact, Chinese North Americans!!! (who's racist???) - who find out how some of them really think due to not having such a language and perhaps cultural barrier. Besides, I was only replying to previous posts and explaining why things are like that. Be precise.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: