Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching in Brazil with Alliances Abroad?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kml636

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject: Teaching in Brazil with Alliances Abroad? Reply with quote

I'm a newbie, and am wondering, has anyone had experience teaching with Alliances Abroad?

They promise $450 a week pay and their program fee is $1700... Does this sound legit? Is $450 a good salary for Brazil? I'm pretty skeptical, but it does seem like a good way to get a foothold in Brazil... Thanks!
counpk39

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I studied at the Sorbonne through Alliances Abroad back in 1998. At the time they were just getting started in the business. The program was handled by one of their business partners. Unlike many American students in Paris at the time, all of my classmates were from countries other than the US. I have no complaints--however, they seemed more like contact facilitators rather than program organizers.
deadpoet

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pay is estimated at $450 per MONTH not week. So they get you a job and Temp Visa but is is worth giving them the big fee??
portochuck

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:35 am    Post subject: 450per week???? Reply with quote

Shocked

OK..Ive been living in Porto Alegre for almost 2.5yrs.....And well I dont know anyone teaching English that makes close to this per week....Unless its in Reals.....Most of the schools I have talked to pay from R$10 per class to R$15 per class....there are some that pay you a salary by the month....(You may only make R$8 per class.)

But the truth is that in Brazil...if you are here and you are a native speaker.......Most schools will hire you........Someone said in another post that the most schools are here to make money...as long as the students are happy....and they like to keep a native speaker around...(This is true.)
kml636

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice... I checked the website and it definitely says $450 per month, so even for 6 months I dont' think that would be worth the price of the program fee. Thanks again!
amandajoy99

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kml636,
Look into the IICA program if you want a little help getting a foothold in Brazil. You get placed with a language school or binational center, probably in a smaller town in the southeast, for six months or a year. The program fee is a reasonable $420, you get a legitimate "cultural" visa (though you also have to pay for that and it's $170). The salary is $750 BR reais per month, but you also get free room and board. I am doing the program right now and I think it's worth the cost. For more info read some of the other threads about IICA on this board, or send me a PM.
http://www.mgt.com.br/icbeu/

Good luck!
Amanda
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Brazil All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: