Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jeddah Knowledge School
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I hear Riyadh is cleaner, better maintained, has more modern-looking buildings and more attractions such as museums, zoos and proper parks

In my years of living in Riyadh, I have never known of any 'proper park'. Some friends of mine have tried picnics in what passes for parks, but have found them to be unpleasant and given up on the whole idea.

Riyadh has one very good museum and, although I've never visited, I hear it has a rather depressing zoo (with seperate visting days for families and single men). There are some 'modern looking buildings' but these prestige projects (all two of them) tend to be concentrated around the Olaya district. Most of the city is unispired to say the least.

I don't know Jeddah very well at all, but from what I've heard it is on the whole older and more dilapidated (at least in parts) than Riyadh. However, that is to be expected: Jeddah is a real city which has been around for hundreds of years; Riyadh is basically an overgrown village which became a capital city only because it is the heartland of the Saud's domains.
freesoul

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of Riyadh Saudis spend their summer vacation in Jeddah; funny that even some tend to call it the Paris or Geneva of KSA, perhaps because there are considerably more females with no face cover or Borqu'a than is the case in Riyadh. This is why driving along Jeddah Corniche, probably the only open-air outing outlet in Jeddah, is extremely unbearable when Riyadh tourists invading the city.
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This is why driving along Jeddah Corniche, probably the only open-air outing outlet in Jeddah, is extremely unbearable when Riyadh tourists invading the city.

I would imagine the type of Riyadh tourists who spend their summers in Jeddah are not from the more wealthy, ie. liberal families. These people would be 'summering' in the real Paris or Geneva, even if they spend winter weekends at their Jeddah beachhouse.
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tri-city in Eastern Province (Dammam/Dhahran/Khobar) is a bit like a rather run-down Islamic LA. All roads and cars with nowhere to GO.

Bahrain is like an extension to this urban sprawl with bars and girlies in the centre.

Last edited by scot47 on Wed May 16, 2018 4:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Asda

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cleopatra wrote:
Quote:
I hear Riyadh is cleaner, better maintained, has more modern-looking buildings and more attractions such as museums, zoos and proper parks

Cleopatra, a friend of mine told me about Salam Park, which, by all accounts, seems quite impressive, let alone the fact that it's in Soodi Arabia!

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/15284455
http://www.aukettfitzroyrobinson.com/03_expertise/3D_landscape/3D_01_tx.htm
http://www.arabnews.com/?page=1&section=0&article=57672&d=17&m=1&y=2005

The place seems to be just over four and a half years old, according to the Arab News article.
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny, despite living in Riyadh for years I have never heard of this place.

Perhaps that's because picnicking amidst the chicken bones and hummus containers discarded by a hundred large Saudi families is not everyone's idea of a great day out.
johnslat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Asda,
But can you even get in there if you're not a "family?"

"With the current, moderate temperatures, that number is expected to climb, but they may decide to stroll, picnic or select from a number of other activities designed for family fun."

Regards,
John
Asda

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting point, John, as I do not know. Also, my friend did mention that you have to pay to get in...something nominal like 5-15SR/head. The point being that there are gates surrounding it and that access is perhaps not so open.
Russl

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JKS: 20 years of failure & faking education

Don’t know where to start...
They have lost, made run or fired some of the most skilled, strongest, Middle east experienced & most efficient teachers in the world.

First, JKS weak management will always be on the the kids side for money & business purposes, always blaming teachers rather than supporting them.

Roughly, a jail where you have to check in & out every day with fingerprints and are being watched in every classroom & corridor, not to talk about the kids’ very disrespectful behaviour, being accepted by the two current heads of school (boys & girls side) who will never support you.

Accepting a job there would be the biggest mistake in your lifetime.
Management would allow itself firing teachers just because few very agitated students have complained before their parents that teacher is too severe, too strict (as he has not let them play in the classroom). Teachers will then be fired in few days in any unpredicted situation, without even any extra baggage allowance or any mercy.

I wish I had been warned before!
Don’t end up fleeing during holidays like 30 others each year in the girls side as well as around 50 more in the boys side.

http://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=63010

Much more details to come, if needed.

PS: Do check and trust hamudi & honestteacher comments which are the most accurate
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: