Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Living in Rostov-on-Don and working for AKT Academy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
psychedelic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 11:40 am    Post subject: Living in Rostov-on-Don and working for AKT Academy Reply with quote

Hello,
Can anyone tell me about Rostov-on-Don, and the AKT Language Academy? Please explain in detail.

Thanking you! Very Happy
Gerhard E. Jene

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 2:15 pm    Post subject: Rostov-on-don Reply with quote

Rostov-on-Don has a website about the city. As for AKT, sorry, I don't know anything about them. Wish I could be of more help. Try doing a web search to find AKTs' website.
Maybe that would give you more information on who they are if at all possible. I don't know their website address. Best of luck.

Gary
waxwing

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's highly likely that the OP already did such a search.
It's quite possible that no such website exists. I couldn't find it either.

Generally, if you want to find out about a school, you should be able to contact them directly, at least by email. If that's not the case, then I'm not sure I'd want to get involved with them.

Before I make the following comments, I should stress they are only my opinion and I have no knowledge of the school concerned.

About the advert that this school posted on Dave's (http://www.eslcafe.com/joblist/index.cgi?read=7276):

1. 90 roubles an hour is a joke salary, believe me. There are people in Russia making 6+ times that amount for private tuition.

2.What's more, they have the cheek to not even offer you a guaranteed minimum of hours. They 'suggest' a possible teaching load of 25-30 hrs, and that you will earn 'between' $300 and $500 a month. Well, $500 a month + accommodation is OK (although their description suggests.. oh never mind), but do the maths and see that you'd have to be teaching 40 hours a week to get near $500. I do about 25 hours a week, often less, for $100 more than that amount (same deal with free accomm.).. and I get paid whether I teach or not. And I had less than 2 months experience when I started. Also note that my location is probably even cheaper than Rostov.

All the same, a lot of people on these boards get angry when people like me accept those kind of terms.

Well, I could go on and on but really, unless I have totally misread the advert, avoid this kind of thing like the plague. Be sure to read the reports by the 2 poor guys who recently left Stavropol in the Job Information Journal.

I'm rather sorry I didn't post this message sooner. I hope nobody got shafted.
[/b]
Gerhard E. Jene

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 1:22 pm    Post subject: Rostov-on-Don and AKT Reply with quote

Dear P

Look up the website http://www.geocities.com/academyakt/ or http://www.geocities.com/academyakt/akt2.htm for information on Rostov-on-Don.
Luckily, I printed this off partly for my own future reference. Apparently it may have helped you with your request. I am not sure if it actually will answer all your questions.
Only you can determine that. Good Luck. Let us know how it goes.

Gerhard
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: