Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ECC Interview
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryu Hayabusa

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, Global Village Backpackers... That's the really colorful one at King and Spadina, right? A colorful wart of a building deep in the heart of Toronto's business area. I used to walk by that place everyday on the way to work.
Begemot

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the place. It's great if you're on a road trip with your friends, not so much if you have a huge job interview the next day.
gonzarelli

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stayed at a hostel during my stay in Toronto. I don't think it was the same one. Toronto was a good time I remember.
Inflames

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I know a lot of people who work for ECC, I'll add what I know. According to the people I know there, they're still really overstaffed and there aren't many new students. They're interviewing, but I'm not sure how much they're hiring (especially considering that they're overstaffed).

In Japan, the interview is different. If you get called for a second interview (if they don't like you for the first one they don't bother calling you for the second), you really have to mess up (kind of like I did) to not get the job. I definitely have the impression that, in Japan, they look for reasons not to give people jobs (although, if you ask, they will give you feedback). I knew one person who got rejected for being "too energetic." The demos were all group demos (with 2 people) in a kids training classroom. I think, when interviewing in other places, they're a lot more lenient.

I've heard that, in Canada, you can get a second chance if you mess up the grammar test (and you would otherwise pass the interview). When they interview elsewhere I've heard that is not the case.
ironclad80

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the interview process, it's basically 1)Q/A session 2)watch a video for several hours with JB interviewing a guy who looks exactly like Kevin Spacey (this will answer many questions not covered in the general Q/A) 3)Lunch 4)Teaching Demo 5)Grammar Test 6)Personal interview

JB is a nice guy and is professional but he completely misled me in my personal interview. He spoke in terms as "WHEN I'm in training.. do this" Complimented my teaching skills and told me I have a good presence, etc etc. So if you get that from him, don't assume you have the job. You'll be quite disappointed when/if you get a rejection letter.

Also, experience and qualification mean nothing with ECC or any eikaiwa for that matter. They know what they want and if you don't have whatever it is, forget it. Sometimes I think they frown upon experience/credentials, if you already have a developed teaching style, or you were taught a certain way (i.e. TEFL or CELTA) they might be worried they can't mold you to teach how they want you to teach.

It basically is a crapshoot and it seems they're doing VERY limited hiring now. If you're within a reasonable driving distance or can find a cheap flight I'd say go for it. I don't regret going up there only to be rejected because it's been a few years since I saw lovely Toronto, I needed a vacation and it didn't cost me a heck of a lot of money. But if you live far away, you're taking quite a gamble if you're only heading there for the interview.
They're not going to tell you how many positions they're interviewing for, but it seems like very few.

And as you'll be told in the interview, you're not interviewing for an exact position, you're basically just trying to get into a pool of backups.
ShioriEigoKyoushi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: