Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mid-Career Public School Teacher wants to move back to Japan

View previous topic :: View next topic  
timothypfox

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:15 am    Post subject: Mid-Career Public School Teacher wants to move back to Japan Reply with quote

I am sitting on a public school job with benefits etc... but all the nonsense of revolving door principles, squabbling, and expectations that no teacher can fullfill has led me to feel in my heart I would like to ditch it once I find a carefully planned next step.

One plan I am considering is international private schools in Japan. I have an MS in TESOL and an MA in International Relations. My work experience is currently at a special education high school. Although I did student teaching with general education ELLs at a middle school and at an elementary school. I also taught at private language schools in Japan, Montreal, and in New York. So, I have experience working with Japanese students.

I'm hoping these give me some credibility for potential hiring for a position at an international private school - which are from what I understand bombarded with too many prospective licensed TESOL teachers and not enough licensed outside of TESOL.

My feeling is that the university market is difficult to get into unless I "Westgate" it or short contract it or teach occasional classes. I also have only 1 published paper and have little time at the moment to get my requisite 2 more published works done.

Direct hire ALTs could be an option - although uncertain to find....

Having said this (and I suppose this is just me asking for a pat on the back) do I stand a chance for something well paid most likely at a private international school? (i.e. 4 + million yen a year with benefits)?

Is it nice work? Can I stay at it long term?

What's the best way to apply or should I go through recruiters?

Or, do I stand a better chance with my other options? Are they better for long term work?

If anyone has any ideas to offer about my situation please write me back.
If you have trade secrets that are too sensitive to post publicly, feel free to PM me if you prefer.

Thanks for indulging me!
fat_chris

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

timothypfox,

An initial question for curiosity's sake:

Are you currently employed with the mess known as the NYCDOE?

Another question:

In what subject(s) are your teaching license(s)?

Regards,
fat_chris
womblingfree

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Mid-Career Public School Teacher wants to move back to J Reply with quote

timothypfox wrote:
the nonsense of revolving door principles, squabbling, and expectations that no teacher can fullfill has led me to feel in my heart I would like to ditch it

Sounds about par for the course for any teaching job once the sheen's worn off.
timothypfox

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat_chris,
Yes I am employed by the NYCDOE. My only teaching license is in TESOL.

Regards back,

Timothypfox
seashell78

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm...most international schools in Japan are quite high caliber and don't offer TESOL support past elementary school and then it's only one position as a single subject teacher (and I know several of them--they're in it for the long haul and won't be retiring for at least 10 years). Are you licensed for elementary or secondary?

There are a couple schools that are primarily nihonjin, though international in name and they might be interested. Pay would be about what you are looking for also. Perhaps look at Aoba Japan, Gunma Kokusai Academy, K International School or Katoh Gakuin?

Would you consider outside Japan? I'm in Singapore now and though boring I'm making twice what I'd make in the U.S. and there's about 40 international schools on this island so a lot more selection.
timothypfox

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My license is ESL K-12 to teach all subject areas using ESL methodologies (not that any employer would care about that lol) so yes I am also licensed to teach all grades including elementary. At the moment I only have my sights on Japan, so I'll start with your suggestions but I'll keep the Singapore option in mind. Thanks Seashell78.
womblingfree

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend teaches art at an international school, in English, as that's what all the lessons are taught in.

You can teach whatever's on the curriculum at an international school with the right qualifications adn experience. EFL stuff's not very likely, although you may pick up some language support work.
Glenski

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apply to international schools directly or through job fairs. See the FAQ stickies about the latter.

As for university work and only one publication, there are ways to get a fast publication or two. Work on it. Just be prepared for a lot of competition and the fact that for most jobs you will have to be in Japan to apply. Also, you are rapidly approaching the end of the application season for next spring's uni hires.
johanne

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timothypfox,

Actually you are in a very good position to land an international school job since you have a teaching license and a TESOL qualification. I teach at an international school and although yes, the language of instruction is English, many students are ESL. Of course the level of English various, and some ESL students are near-native in their abilities.

Especially if you are willing to and have experience teaching elementary classes, many schools, even the "high caliber" ones need teachers who can teach ESL kids in the mainstream - in fact this is a major concern for all international schools as the population shifts from ex-pats from English speaking countries, to those from different European countries and Asia.

Also, many international schools now have 3-4 full time teachers to meet the needs of their ESL population, so even if you don't have a "subject" you can teach or have no experience as an elementary homeroom teacher, you may be able to land a job simply as the ESL teacher who would give in class and pull out support.

If you are happy with 4 million yen a year, you should have no problems landing something. That is the low range of salaries for international school teachers. Average pay is about 6 million a year if you are an experienced teacher (which is sounds like you are - most schools will give you at least 5 years credit).

There are over 25 international schools in the Tokyo area of varying degrees of professionalism and caliber, so if you are not particularly fussy you will find something.

Recruiting starts in a couple of months for the 2010-2011 school year, so you should probably start researching soon.

Good luck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: