Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How Does non-EU English Teacher Get a Legal Job Before Going

View previous topic :: View next topic  
luvnpeas

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 6:53 pm    Post subject: How Does non-EU English Teacher Get a Legal Job Before Going Reply with quote

...to Spain? I'm American. Is there a path (or two) to lining up a teaching job in advance (preferrably legal, but illegal would work too)?
avahanian

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi luvnpeas,

It's very difficult, if you're American, to line up a job before arriving in Spain. For that matter it's also difficult for English, Irish, etc even though they don't need a special visa to work.

I would say don't waste your time trying to search for a job before arriving, I dont know of any American who's been able to do that. Sure it's possible, but not probable.

Almost all Spanish employers prefer to meet a candidate locally. There are companies that recruit from the UK but you'd have to be from there
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen adverts on Tefl.com, teachabroad.com, and europa-pages.com
But I've never worked there, I'd like to in the future. They may not hire you, but it could help you get your foot in the door.
gsbcn08080

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 11:28 am    Post subject: Not possible Reply with quote

It really isn't possible to get work in Spain before you arrive, even if you are European. It is just not done that way in Spain. Employers do not hire people they have not met, also since teachers know the way it works they come to Spain leave CV's in schools etc..so employers have lots of contacts already in Spain and no need for them to look for anyone on the internet or to offer jobs to people who are not in the country. Most Americans I know come through schools that organise TEFL courses they book everything through them and once they finish the course they give them addresses of schools where they can be hired.
Mouse

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the other posters have made good points, to which I don't really want to add anything other than the fact that both times I've lived in Spain, I've secured my job beforehand via telephone interview. They might well have re-considered the offer once I'd arrived, if I'd deceived as to my credentials etc, but nevertheless, both offers before being in the country (and the first time without a single word of Spanish to my name).
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luvnpeas,
it's worth a try to line one up before you go, You won't know unless you try. NOthing ventured, nothing gained Smile
avahanian

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mouse wrote:
I think the other posters have made good points, to which I don't really want to add anything other than the fact that both times I've lived in Spain, I've secured my job beforehand via telephone interview. They might well have re-considered the offer once I'd arrived, if I'd deceived as to my credentials etc, but nevertheless, both offers before being in the country (and the first time without a single word of Spanish to my name).

Hi mouse,

Congratulations to you, it's very rare for a teacher to get hired over the telephone without having met the school and/or the director!

However that's not usually how it happens (unfortunately).

In any case it's not too difficult finding a job in Spain, you just have to be persistent and visit as many schools as possible.

I remember visiting only four schools in the first week I was there, and receiving 3 job offers!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: