Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching English in BA = Living Wage???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Argentina
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jgz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:12 pm    Post subject: Teaching English in BA = Living Wage??? Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I'm looking into moving to BA in February (After I finish with school and get TEFL certified) with the intention of teaching english and living there at least a year. In looking into these posts and threads it seems that there is a lot of effort one must put into finding employment in BA. In contrast to, say, Korea or Japan, where year long contracts are awarded and the money tends to cover all expenses with room to spare/money to save.

I'm wondering if anyone could go into some detail as to just how hard it is to find contracts in BA akin to those in some of the more popular countries. Also, I'm wondering how many classes, both at the institutes and privates, you all teach in order to make a living. Do any of you have other employment? If so, how did you find it? Do English teachers tend to know eachother and work together, or is it more an individual endeavor? Which area of BA do you find is easiest to live in while still being affordable?

Ok, that was a lot of questions, I realize. If anybody could help answer any of them, especially with regards to just how much (in terms of hours/classes) one must work in order to make a living wage, it would be most appreciated!

Thanks so much for your help.

Cheers,

Jessica
jgz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replying to my own post, score.

So I came across another website that has some fantastic information about teaching and general living in BA.

http://exposebuenosaires.com/

Cheers,

Jess
Kushluk

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jessica,

I've been living in BA for about 5 months so I'd be glad to answer your questions. Generally speaking its very difficult to get work here that will cover your expenses becuase the amount one commands here as an English Teacher w/ TEFL or a Degree (me) is about 23-27pesos per hour. That is very small in USD/EURO/GBP terms. My boyfriend looked for work very long and hard before finding it and until then I had to support him. I was luckier and had several possibilities from the begging. We both speak fluent Spanish BTW. I didn't really when I arrived here, but now I don't have any problems anymore.

Generally they do not seem to offer full schedules off the bat here as they do in some other countries and the pay is much lower. BA is a wonderful city and very fun, but perhaps the economy of ESL dosen't quite square here. In contrast to Japan/Korea... forget it! I lived in Taiwan and made like 17$ an hour, this country does not have that kind of money.

Some random comments about my experience in BA:

Frankly, I make just as much in dollars teaching on the net.

The legal labour market here is scary becuase it is SO bureaucratic.

I'm considering moving to Santiago, Chile becuase I can work legally there with no trouble (I am a citizen), it would save me the mountains of tramites (paperwork/officaldom) that one must endure in Argentina.

Chile is probably a better deal, even though its REALLY BORING compared to BA which is a world class city.

They prefer Brittish English here, although it seems the preference is fading as time goes on.

I might go to Santiago myself becuase their salaries tend to put dollars into your account rather than take them out. Not fortunes mind you (this isn't Korea or Taiwan) but respectable sums like 1K usd.

Rent for me is 1500 which may be a bit pricey. Most forigeners live in Palermo which is a bit of a wannabe NY (which I just came from so I'm not into it) for more interesting 'hoods there is San Telmo (painfully hip) and Microcentro (think the touristy parts of midtown - hectic!). There are many other neighborhoods though that are untouched by foreigners and are much more reasonable yet still close to stuff. I live in Monserrat, which is a wonderful neighborhood I would NOT move from actually. There are no non-argentines here, so if you really want close company then Monserrat-like barrios are not for you.

Hope this helped!
Andre

EDIT - One terrible spelling error and a few other smaller ones.

Last edited by Kushluk on Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:06 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jgz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andre- Thank you so much for your response! I had a feeling that was the answer I might get back, and I appreciate the honesty.

Sorry for my ignorance, but what do you mean by teaching on the net? Are people really taking language classes online? Is it through the institutes or...?

And how is the process different when working legally? My father is Argentine, so if I do go to BA I'd attempt to use that to get citizenship and/or a work visa (if possible). I've heard the options are better when one is "legal", but I'm unclear as to what the difference is in terms of job hunting in the legal vs. "black" market. Can you clarify for me?

Again, thanks so much for your help.
Kushluk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jessica,

I teach on the net privately, and that is not affiliated with anything. I also do some document translation on there when I get the chance. The result of that is some dollar income that pays the rent.

Well for foreigners you have to get a contract and work with that company till it is over. Either that or get facturas and use those like one would use a 1099 form in the US. Accomplishing either of those feats however is horribly annoying though because of all the paperwork is a nightmare.

For example, I went to renew my visa at the migraciones a while back and was told to come back tomorrow because there wasn't "any more numbers today". This was at 11.45am.

If you are an Argentine citizen by birth I URGE you strongly to get your passport now in the US at your nearest Argentine consulate (I did so for my Chile passport). There are many countries for which it is more convenient to use the Argentine passport in and being Argentine will surely help you get around at least a generous percentage of the paperwork nightmare!

That said I really really love Argentina, and six months here have practically all just flown by. I would stay much longer if the money were worth more in dollar terms, but unfortunately for me I lived in NY, and if I go back there life will be expensive Sad , ergo I need at least a little nest egg from South America.

Are you in Argentina now?

Hope this helped!
Andre.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jgz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for your information Andre. I hope you can stay in BA as long as you'd like!

I am not there right now, I will be in September however. If you're still around, let me know. We'll be in BA for a week or two.

I've got to swing by the consulate this month so I'll look into the whole citizenship thing. Since there is no birthright citizenship, I'm not quite sure how it'll work. Hopefully an intent to work and live is enough! (wishful thinking, I'm sure).

Anyhow, again, thanks so much for all your information.

Cheers,

Jessica
Kushluk

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jessica,

I think I read you get automatic residency if I remember from reading all about visas and immigration from back when I was still in NY.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Argentina All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: