Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

If your're thinking of teaching in Ecuador....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sperling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 1:37 am    Post subject: If your're thinking of teaching in Ecuador.... Reply with quote

Hi everyone!

Well, I feel like I've been here long enough to be able to contribute something to those of you thinking of coming to Ecuador to teach (either from personal experiences or friends' experiences). I used Dave's as a research tool too before I came. So basically the first thing I need to get off my chest, is that Ecuador (Quito specifically) is not as cheap (dollarization), and jobs are not all that plentiful as we heard before coming (influx of foreigners looking for work). My point is, come with a little more money to use as a safety net in case it takes you longer to find a job than you think. My boyfriend and I did not come with very much money. We volunteered for a month, naivelly thinking that we would find a job immediately after our volunteer stint. As much as we loved our volunteer teaching job, that decision almost forced us to go home early.

First of all, if you are curious of my current situation, here it is. I am working at three different institutes (all different pay rate) and am starting at a private university here next week. All of my jobs pay decent, but trust me it took a long time to find them. My advice would be not to give in to the first job offered to you at $4 or less, because other schoools do pay more. You can always go back to the $4 schools if you need for a few extra hours a week (as I did). Also, if you are looking for 5 or more hours a day, you will probably be working at atleast 2 different schools like me, because not many schools will offer you this many hours consistently. They will have to share you!

If you are on a tourist visa, check out some intstutites like Key Language, The Experiment, Illingua, Berlitz. All of these pay above $5, a couple paying $7. Berlitz is a new school in Quito (just over one year I think), and even though there are some problems, they don't allow you to work at other schools, they dont necessarily offer a lot of hours, and the training is a week long (no pay), its a pretty professional place to work (compared to most other Ecuadorian establishments). Some schools that seem professional and legitimate, but only pay $4 are Cambridge, Benedict, Wallstreet, APF and Fulbright (you need a full visa for fulbright anyways). I can't remember the rest right now, but email me if you want about a specific school. I might have visited it once. You can work for $4 (since most of the schools pay this much, and jobs at the higher paying schools are slim pickings most of the time), but Quito is very expensive, and you might want to look around before committing yourself 100% to a school that pays this little. Definitely, don't work for less if you are on a tight budget.

If you are on another type of visa that allows you to work officially and don't mind committing for a longer period of time, definitely check out the private collegios and universities (some might hire with a tourist visa). Some friends work at the collegios and are just raking it in. Like Colegio Einstein, Alleman, Cotopaxi (need a lot experience for the last one). Private universities will pay more as well.

There is always the option of private lessons, for which you can charge $10 and higher (especially if you make a house call). Advertising in the newspaper, or giving your name to the private colegios will do the trick to get students. The problems with this I hear, is the fact that you have to plan every lesson on your own, cancellations occur more often than not, and that getting paid on time can sometimes be an issue. The third problem can be solved by asking to pay in advance for a certain number of classes, or for a certain level.

As for visa situations here. You can keep extending your tourist visa in one month increments for up to three months within Ecuador at the migration office. So, you can basically be a tourist for 6 months without leaving the country (depending on the mood of the migration official the day when you go in, of course). After that, its off to Peru (expensive) or Columbia (cheap and easy, but maybe a little sketchy). A friend of mine just did the latter, and he said it was fine, no problems in Columbia. Changing your tourist visa to avoid the constant trips to the Migration office and Columbie is a bit of a hassel, and can be costly. But worth it if you are going to be here for longer than a year. The best option (never heard of it until recently) is an Investors Visa. This option requires you to place around $1000 (or a little more) in an Ecuadorian bank for a minumum of one year. After the year you can get this full amount back, plus accumulated interest. The only other fee is for the lawyer. you can work and live legally here with this, no hassel. The second option is a work visa, but is very costly and confusing to get under way. the last estimate from a lawyer i got was $800 ($200 for visa, $600 for lawyer fees)....completely ridiculous! Or, according to a friend, you could get married to an Ecuadorian and stay indefinitely! Wink

As for renting apartments, its seems the going rate for furnished apartments somewhat decent start at $200, and nicer places can take you around $300 / $350. I've met some people that pay less, but either their places are not that nice, in an unsafe area, or they have been renting them for a couple years and haven't been subject to serious price change (or they just know where the really good deals are!).

Well, I think I've covered almost everything I can think of that might help. This has gotten far too long, even if I did have more to say.

Good luck, and have fun!

Posted: October 15, 2002
duder_1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Just thought I would note that a lot of the information in the above post is out of date, especially with regard to the so-called "Investor's Visa", which now requires a minimum investment of $25,000.00 USD.
bh_daddy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also wanted to add that the rules for the tourist visa have also changed. While it was once the case that a tourist visa could be renewed for almost a year, the current situation is a one-time, 90 day tourist visa, per year.
ClaireGolding

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:43 am    Post subject: Older teachers Reply with quote

Is it still the case that Latin America, Ecuador in particular, has a top limit of 55 years old for teachers? We are considering making a permanent move not coming on tourist visas, so does that make a difference?
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: Older teachers Reply with quote

ClaireGolding wrote:
Is it still the case that Latin America, Ecuador in particular, has a top limit of 55 years old for teachers? We are considering making a permanent move not coming on tourist visas, so does that make a difference?

Look at retirement visas. THey might be an option.
just_a_mirage

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no age limit for teachers, curently in Ecuador. Retirement visas are an option if you are receiveing pension or social security funds of at least $800 monthly for a single person, $900 for a couple.
leretif9

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"...the rules for the tourist visa have also changed. While it was once the case that a tourist visa could be renewed for almost a year, the current situation is a one-time, 90 day tourist visa, per year."

How rock solid is this? Do they check? And why would they now impose such a ridiculous Shenghen-treaty-type of restriction on this?
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They've imposed the restrictions because it was being so badly abused by people working on tourist visas and doing visa runs to extend them.

You can extend a standard 90 day visa waiver/tourist entry to a 6 month 12-IX visa, though it's easier to just apply for the 180 day 12-IX before you go, and the visa costs are the same.

They are strict on the 90 day rule, in as much as they do check and you won't be allowed back in if you've had your 90 days that year. However, it's lax in that they are not currently enforcing fines for overstaying (part of the anti-corruption drive, so immigration officers aren't in a position to be asking for cash). At the moment if you overstay you won't be fined but you will be banned from reentering Ecuador for 1-2 years. The re-entry ban is strictly enforced and can usually only be overturned with assistance from your embassy or the Ecuadorian consul in a 3rd country.

Even though they are not collecting fines right now, overstaying is still illegal and it is taken seriously. People have reported being detained at the border long enough to miss their onward connection while things like criminal record checks are done. Also if you are ID checked by the police (which does happen) and your visa has expired, expect to be arrested and held while they sort it out. (This also happens to people whose temporary visa has expired while they are waiting for a resident visa to be issued, even though they have permission to overstay.)
leretif9

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, in a nut shell:

"... just apply for the 180 day 12-IX before you go, and the visa costs are the same."

By doing this, you can count on being in the country for six months -- and count on it being no longer than six months.
leretif9

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now to the main question:

Is it likely that I can get a steady ESL teaching gig, presumably in Quito, when all I've got right now is a B.A. in English from a US university?
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, one of the big language schools will probably take you (English First, Inlingua, EIL, Wall Street if you are desperate).

A 12-IX makes you more employable as you can legally work from day 1. It also guarantees you at least 6 months in country. The school should sponsor you for a new visa once it expires. Taking a CELTA or equivalent would also significantly improve your chances (and give you at least the basic skills you will need).

Or, you go on a regular 90 day tourist visa, and as long as you go at a sensible time (i.e. not during the summer break or over a major holiday period) you should still find a position somewhere before your tourist visa expires, but you can extend to the 12-IX there if you have to. It's a cheaper and easier option, but a lot riskier for you.

Most places will eventually put you on a cultural exchange visa, Inlingua will get you a student visa if you are also learning Spanish with them.
lapd08

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:40 am    Post subject: If you're thinking of coming to Ecuador...DON'T Reply with quote

Ecuador is a nice country and the people are lovely. You could probably have a great vacation here, but if you are thinking of getting a REAL job, i.e. the kind that actually pays enough to live on (let's forget about saving money completely) this is not the place.

Also, the visa process is insane. I've never had to go through so much aggro and I'm only half way done with the process. I've only been here a short while, but things are no bargain-especially housing. Also, the attitude of the school is strictly do it yourself. They will give you a listing of leads on apartments, and tell you what you have to do to complete the visa process (I'm talking about a "cultural exchange visa or 12-VIII) but that's it.

One poster said in reference to the school I'm supposed to be working in "Who needs it. I've got real credentials and am leaving to work elsewhere." I will probably follow suit as soon as I can. It's just not worth the effort you have to put in. So far the other teachers I've met are bright young things straight out of college who think it's all an adventure and don't know there are jobs where they actually PAY your airfare, housing, visa etc. as well as living wage, instead of making you feel like they are doing you the biggest favor to let you work for them-for next to nothing.

So, I repeat, "If you're thinking of coming to Ecuador to work -DON'T".
lagringalindissima

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:48 pm    Post subject: update on this..as of 2014 Reply with quote

You can NOT work in Ecuador as of 2014..period. Unless you get a job at with a legitimate cultural exchange program--i.e. a program that the government recognizes as a cultural exchange program-- you can't get a visa.

1) Work visas aren't issued by the government--unless (of course) you have a PhD. in philosophy and are hired by a university to teach that. I was actually told I could have a real work visa because I have a master's in English with 18 ESL graduate hours. But that was a 6 month process, was insanely expensive and involved a lot of traveling and massive amounts of paperwork for both me and my school.

2) Border hopping is done; I met numerous teachers at one school who did it and they all seemed to feel safe about it. BUT Ecuador isn't Peru! The law says if I enter the country on July 1st 2014 I can only be there for 90 days until July 1st 2015..so it is not worth the risk.

3) If you want a visa, you'll get a cultural exchange/volunteer visa . If you want a paid job, this is very illegal! I didn't mind border hopping illegally in Peru, but to get your visa your job will have to say you volunteer with them..i.e. they will lie on government documents. You will also be required to have a local bank account with a grand in it to prove you have independent funds.

4) If you want a visa you WILL have to leave your original passport with the government--or an attorney-- for an undetermined length of time. There are other warnings here..
a) if you are in a smallish town like I was, you might have to go a dangerous big city and leave your passport there. (My job told flat out told me it was unsafe to go to this city alone, but they couldn't send anyone with me and I was on my own.)

b) the requirements for what you need change constantly--i.e. now you need 4 x sized passport photos-- and if you don't meet the new requirements your visa can be held up. This is not just "annoying"..it could be a crisis! I do know a teacher (in 2011) who had her passport held for THREE MONTHS--and was "hoping to get in back in about 6 weeks but I'm not sure"--because her paperwork was rejected/needed to be straightened out.

5) Every school will tell you something different, and it is clear no one understands the visa process.

Examples:
a) I was told I needed a bank account with a grand; teachers hired at a university weren't told that.

b) My account needed cash (not traveler's checks, which is what I had), I needed 2 reference letters and I needed proof of utilities where I was living. All of this was a surprise to my employer, even though they assured me "we have gotten many many work visas and I (boss) know the process well..this will be fine".

c) How do we get the visa? I heard:
1) go to Peru (I am not sure if that was "border hop" or actually do something in Peru).

2) give our school's lawyers your passport and they'll take care of the visa.

3) go to x town with the paperwork and leave the passport.

4) I do NOT believe this, but I did hear the rumor that one school in Ecuador sent passports to Peru so that employee's passports to Peru "under the table"-- i.e. without the employees actually going. That does show you the crazy mis-information floating around about the visa process.

I was hired from abroad two different jobs but left both due to the visa process..I wasn't willing to take the risk to get a visa under these circumstances! I liked the country and the people very much, but I had four jobs in Ecuador and all four had serious problems (apart from the visa). Thus it's not worth it to go in 2014. I DO recommend Ecuador highly as a tourist trip however Smile. Their Spanish is clear and people are very friendly, it's very cheap, it's safe and it's stunningly beautiful.
lagringalindissima

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'll say some more about Ecuador, since I have time today Smile:

I lived in Loja. It is NOT the climate most people think of when they think of Ecuador..it was very rainy and also quite chilly year around; the plants were similar to what you'd see in the northern US. But I liked the climate--for 3 months, anyway-- and has very nice parks. But--due to a lack of sunshine-- people aren't always "out and about" and I found it a bit hard to meet people.

Loja is a good place to go for if you want to learn Spanish, although I don't know of any Spanish schools there. (I was already bilingual when I went.) The Spanish is clear, few people speak English (which forces you to use Spanish) but people are friendly and it is very cheap.

The town is small but not so tiny that there's nothing to do..it can be a bit boring, but you are close to Villacabuma by bus and that is a town with many great restaurants.

The problem with Loja is that getting there is hard! You can't buy a ticket there; you fly into Quito (or possibly Guayacil) and buy one domestically; they aren't always available. When I had a job I had no choice but to stay in Quito for 2 days..there were just no flights to Loja.

As my earlier post says, now is not a good time to go due to the visa.. but they do really want to learn English, so maybe they'll create a teacher visa soon.

I was hired at Fine Tuned English and if you work in Loja that's probably where you'd go. I didn't work there long at all, but I found it a 100% "mixed bag".

Pros:
1) A large full time teaching staff of very nice people..although of course who's there when you are is always luck. Most are locals--but yes they are fluent in English--so you can learn Spanish but also not be overwhelmed if you know none.

2) Stability..you are full time and paid as such and your hours are guaranteed.

3) A nice schedule 3-9 pm daily and no weekends.

4) They don't mind if you take a daytime job at a school--part time of course--for more money.

5) They have friendly students that want to be there; the school is respected in Loja.

6) As natives we are likely to teach all classes one day a month or so for "native speaker day"..I can't say it was fun since I didn't actually start teaching there, but that sounded fun to me. It meant less work for us and getting to work with different teachers, too.

7) You can live with the boss a block from the school and the house has everything you need.

Cons:
1) I didn't like the managers. The visa process is NOT their fault, but the managers did not understand what I needed, were not helpful and then were rude to me when I needed things from them for the visa. I needed to go to a town 6 hours away to leave my passport. They flat out told me it wasn't a good idea to go alone but wouldn't send anyone with me. I'd been in Loja in 2011 and I told my boss a former student might call me; he is 17. (I'm over 18 Smile). Even though I told them Carlos is not my "friend" but a former student of mine who's a minor, they pressured me to take him to do my visa work--and the town where we had to go is 6 hours from where I lived!

2) I have used the books they use (Awesome) before and they are unusable!! They are insanely advanced for the student's actual level, have readings that are so boring even you'll fall asleep, no organization at all, grammar points that are just thrown onto pages randomly-- i.e. book 4 has "used to" but does not even tell the students it's a past tense-- and I could go on. When I taught with Awesome--at a difference school-- I was only asked to use the book as a base. Hence I made my own units/materials and didn't rely on the book exclusively. But this school tells you exactly what pages of Awesome you must teach daily. My neighbor's kid went there; he was in advanced book but could not understand me when I asked him "What classes are you taking? English.. what else?"..he said they just copied work in class so he didn't learn anything.

3) The school is huge and that causes chaos; they are not well organized, either. When I was there it was registration week. There were well over 2000 students and students couldn't get registered. For a week the building was so packed I couldn't even get into offices to tell people what I needed for my visa. All classes meet at the same times daily, so the changing of classes is chaotic, too.
CTravel32

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: If your're thinking of teaching in Ecuador.... Reply with quote

sperling wrote:

or Columbia (cheap and easy, but maybe a little sketchy). A friend of mine just did the latter, and he said it was fine, no problems in Columbia. Changing your tourist visa to avoid the constant trips to the Migration office and Columbie is a bit of a hassel,

ColOmbia
Also, why are you saying Colombia is sketchy? I lived there for three years, it is a great place to live and work.

edit: Wow, I did not pay attention to the date this was posted since it was stickied. Whoops!!

Last edited by CTravel32 on Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: