Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where's the best teaching job?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hakim

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:06 am    Post subject: Where's the best teaching job? Reply with quote

I'm a librarian working in a major US University. I can retire in a few years but don't want to spend out my days playing shuffle board.

I was among those who Hitchhiked to India and Morocco in the early 1970s and lived in Europe for quite awhile.

However all that's old knowledge. I'm still of sound mind and body and still have a few gigs left in me.

I have a graduate TEFL certification as well as a Masters in Library and Information Science.

I know that this is a very broad question, but in general where can I land a job that provides a furnished apartment (or enough to pay for one) , decent food and a dependable paycheck without asking too much of me? I've read quite a bit on various forums of people not happy with the positions they accepted. Idea (I remember watching an early Indian film where if someone was thinking of something, a bright question mark would flash above their head.) Those were simpler times indeed.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asia is usually a good bet. The pay might not be the best, but you could live decently
dragon777

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Hakim. If you were treking around Asia in the early 1970's. I'll guess that your in late fifties early sixties. China will hire a person up to 65. try to work in a college, uni or government school with a SAFEA contract not a language mill or they will work your butt off for only a little more. Although most school's in China prefer younger folk, your Master's will go a long way in securing a position. There are still positions coming up in september so good luck. Wink
Hakim

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:
Asia is usually a good bet. The pay might not be the best, but you could live decently

Well thanks, that gives me some direction for the future.
Hakim

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:27 am    Post subject: Good Advice Reply with quote

dragon777 wrote:
Hi Hakim. If you were treking around Asia in the early 1970's. I'll guess that your in late fifties early sixties. China will hire a person up to 65. try to work in a college, uni or government school with a SAFEA contract not a language mill or they will work your butt off for only a little more. Although most school's in China prefer younger folk, your Master's will go a long way in securing a position. There are still positions coming up in september so good luck. Wink

Well that's what I wanted to know for starters-sounds exciting.
Pauleddy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:43 am    Post subject: OK Reply with quote

I did the same as you--India and Morocco in the 1970s. A few yrs ago I ended up in Thailand teaching TEFL.

In very broad terms, Asia is a good bet for "adventure" and "exoticism". The pay is often less, but so are the costs. However, most places are hot and humid--but some parts of China freeze in winter. The choices are huge, though. Thailand, Korea, China, Laos and etc. are all different. India has far fewer jobs, as educated people spk English. Do a lot of searching. Some people settle, but some people do a few yrs and go home to shuffleboard.

In very loose terms, Europe holds less prospects, especially as US natives cannot easily get visas to work in, say, Spain. Eastern Europe, like Poland, or even Russia, seem to have a lot of ads for jobs in language schools. Of course, it gets cold, and it can be isolated in the boonies. Moscow is not cheap to live in, either.

Some people, especially from the USA, make a career in S America. There are many jobs there on the boards. Again, every place is different. Some people like B Aires, some adore Chile. Some places are cheap to live and pay less, some places not. Some places are dangerous (parts of Rio?), but a lot depends on your luck. People live years without problems. There are beach areas in Brazil and Costa Rica (for example) which offer a great life, I hear.

The above are general comments from someone of your age who took the plunge already!

eddy
khmerhit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised

C A M B O D I A

try it and see Cool Arrow
johnslat

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear khmerhit,
Ah, I was wondering how long it would be before you made an appearance.
Regards,
John Very Happy
khmerhit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey john --howz it going--im just lurkin dude--what up dawg?--you know anything about learning pashto and dari--does it take v long?
johnslat

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear khnerhit,
Learning Pashto and Dari? Cripes man, I'm still learning English. Nope, sorry - I'm afraid I can't help you out there.
Well, here are some links:

http://www.abdulhadihairan.com/2009/07/translating-into-pashto-some-common-mistakes/

http://www.mylanguageexchange.com/Learn/Pashto.asp

http://webupon.com/services/learn-pashto-online/

http://www.omniglot.com/writing/dari.htm

http://www.proz.com/forum/professional_development/107899-learning_dari_as_an_english_speaker_how.html

http://www.alelo.com/tactical_language.html

and there's Rosetta Stone:

http://www.rosettastone.com/learn-pashto/level-1

Heck, I'd never even HEARD of Dari before. Good luck.

Regards,
John
Hakim

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: OK Reply with quote

[quote="Pauleddy"]I did the same as you--India and Morocco in the 1970s. A few yrs ago I ended up in Thailand teaching TEFL.

Thanks for the general picture-it helps one decide what is it they're looking for.

I've also been tempted by those jobs in Thailand and Vietnam-I currently live in Florida and with the extreme heat and humidity I experience everyday I'm not a great fan of those climates.

But I'm still thinking positively and will make my move eventually.

Thanks.
Blingcosa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy

A F A R C O U N T R Y !!!

Try it and see

Cool Arrow
fat_chris

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John and KH,

I think teaching in Afghanistan would be heavy. I'd be willing to put some effort into learning Pashto and/or Dari and see where it takes me.

Best,
fat_chris
Sadebugo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat_chris wrote:
John and KH,

I think teaching in Afghanistan would be heavy. I'd be willing to put some effort into learning Pashto and/or Dari and see where it takes me.

Best,
fat_chris

This post is very similar to another I saw earlier. Anyway, you can try DLI. I work for them and have been everywhere including AF. They have a website as well.

Sadebugo
http://travldawrld.blogspot.com/
Hadit

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DLI sounds nice Sadebugo. I have a BA, but would a CELTA qualify for the 24 hours they want? 46K as a salary for 40 hours isn't bad in the US. Do you just go and teach military around the world? If you could elaborate, that would be great. Thanks. They do require a year exp. without an MA I see.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: