Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

who owns the work permit?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
daily chai

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 3:03 am    Post subject: who owns the work permit? Reply with quote

Who "owns" the work permit--the teacher or the school? In Taiwan and Korea, for example; the school owns the teacher's work permit. If a teacher leaves her/his job s/he loses the work permit and resident visa. This unfortunate individual is forced to leave the country to get a new job--and may even be blacklisted from re-entry (Taiwan). In Japan the teacher owns her/his permit. Teachers are free to leave bad employment situations without having to leave the country and get permission to live/work there once again. What is the situation in Turkey?

How long does it normally take to process a work permit/visa outside Turkey?
yaramaz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could be wrong but I think the school owns your work permit. The name of my school is printed in my residence permit as well. I was told that I'm not allowed to work at a school other than the one that sponsored me, though I have done some work for people affiliated with the school. When I finish my school year here and if I choose to not renew my contract, the next school has to renew my permit before it expires.
daily chai

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 4:09 pm    Post subject: thx Reply with quote

Thanks Yaramaz. The schools own your permit, because you're not free to change jobs without re-filing. Thx, that helped a lot!
Goforth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 4:25 pm    Post subject: Permit me, if I may Reply with quote

The school does not own your work/residency permit. Your work visa is affixed to a page of your passport (a large green stamp/visa that takes up almost the whole page - but it was a while ago so I could be wrong). This entitles you to apply for a Residence Permit for Foreigners (Ikamet Tezkeresi) which all legally employed foreign teachers are required to have. The School will normally do this on your behalf, and pay the expenses. Morally, therefore, the school that pays your expenses may think they have some claim on your permit. Legally, though, it's your responisbility and when you move to another job it's usually a simple matter of going through the paperwork to have the name of your employer changed. Your new employer will have to provide the necessary legal documents, contract etc... In those cases where a teacher breaks contract I have heard of employers charging for the visa/permit fee. But still, the permit is yours. I worked at four different places in Istanbul in the space of a year, all on the same permit. It's not usually a problem. But once you've got that little blue book, don't give it up. It's worth it's pages in gold.
FGT

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many ways in which foreigners can acquire a Turkish residence permit: owning property here, having a private income, employment in Turkey, etc.
Most of us get ours because we are employed here. The permit is only valid as long as the employment lasts. It may be possible to have the same permit altered to reflect changing employment but, unless all the correct procedures are followed, it would become invalid. If legal employment ceases, it also becomes invalid. Thus the permit is not OWNED by ones employer but is CONNECTED to ones employer.

More importantly, a passport is actually the property of the government of ones home country. The passport holder should do precisely that, hold on to it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: