Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is this common??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
elliot_spencer

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 7:16 am    Post subject: Is this common?? Reply with quote

Hey guys!

I applied for a job in Southern Italy at a chain school (Inlingua) and yesterday I was called to be told that I won't be given the job. To be honest, I was quite surprised at this as I have a degree in TESOL, I am a UK and Italian Citizen so I can work in Italy no problems and I also have a CELTA at grade B with coming up to 3 years teaching experience.

WHen I asked why, I was told that the job was being given to a Romanian teacher as she was female and that the boss (who when I spoke to in English and Italian found out is not Italian, he has an eastern european accent) wanted a female teacher as the teacher leaving is female!

I mean, I've got nothing against non native speakers teaching English, but if it's for a language school and people are going to be paying good money to do a course, surely they'll want to be taught by a native English speaker and not an L2 speaker of English!

Is this starting to be common in Italy?
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

L2 speakers have quite a useful place as teachers - they understand the process from the perspective of a student and can communicate the processes of learning better in some cases. It's also sometimes quite inspiring to work with a non-native speaker who has clearly been a successful learner.

Not to imply that native speakers haven't got advantages too, of course!

This may also have been an economic decision, quite honestly. Perhaps the non-native speaker was willing to work for less money Surprised Or it may have been some other dodgy reason...
ragazzo gallese

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you had a lucky escape quite frankly. You should be able to get into a much beter school - IH, British Council, etc. - with your qualifications and experience.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: