Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Car required?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't recommend it... unless one has a death wish.

VS
grahamb

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Death Wish! Reply with quote

I'd give motorbikes a miss: road accidents in Oman are a part of daily life and the mortality rate is frightening.

Travelling on baisa taxis is very cheap, but can be hair-raising at times.

I managed to find a friendly (and reasonably reliable) taxi driver who didn't charge the earth.
Dekadan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was afraid this might be the case. Are there some areas of Oman that have more laid-back traffic? I think I remember hearing Salalah wasn't as...intense.

Many of my Saudi students back home had lost relatives due to car accidents, one even flying home mid-course because of the death of a brother because of one. What's even more tragic to me is that nothing seems to change. I had other students proudly showing me pictures of maxed out speedometers, videos of drifting and getting cars onto two wheels, as if these were valuable skills and achievements. Instead it puts a desire to imitate in the young, impressionable and not capable and perpetuates the problem.

Sorry, got a little rant-y there. While I'm a motorcycle rider, I try to do it safely and when I see someone do something that's counter to self-preservation... it gets to me!
madrileno

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dekadan wrote:
Was afraid this might be the case. Are there some areas of Oman that have more laid-back traffic? I think I remember hearing Salalah wasn't as...intense.

Salalah is more slow-paced than the rest of the country, what with it being so far away from everything else.... Except during the kahreef season in the summer, when everyone from all over the gulf and their grandmother descend on the city to enjoy the rain and greenery.
grahamb

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Motorbikin' Reply with quote

Avoid night-time excursions, especially in Dhofar. I knew someone who couldn't wait to try out his new bike and ventured out at night. He encountered a herd of camels parked in a dip in the road and ran into one of them. He survived the collision (and being dropped by the ambulance crew!), but was in a metal brace for several months afterwards. A surgeon told him he'd come close to being paralysed from the neck down.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is also true in the US. I have two acquaintances who died from motorcycle/deer or motorcycle/moose accidents. Animals on roads at night are a danger for anyone driving anything on a road. Camels, like moose, are tall and tend to go through the windshields of cars... normally fatal to both the animal and those in the front seat.

VS
Dekadan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, nighttime riding is dangerous, as well as at dusk and dawn. That's when many animals become active and move around. Potentially dangerous for any vehicle, but motorcycles don't have a shell of plastic and metal around a person. Generally I try to avoid riding at those times, only doing it if it's necessary.

Salalah sounds more my speed, provided I get to choose my location!
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're recruting for Salalah CAS right now....
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a video here which says it all re driving in Oman: http://www.muscatmutterings.com/

The youth hanging out of the car window died....
Dekadan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scary to see. That was hard to watch. Sad
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't watch it... there are so many of those videos on youtube of Arabs killing themselves and each other on the roads of the Gulf.

VS
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdl wrote:
There is quite a serious biking community in Oman so a motorcycle is a good way to go. Can't beat the weather!!!!! The friendships are great and not of the esl instructor variety so you will get a social break. Check out Bikersoman Motorcycle Club or any of the dealerships in Muscat (HD, Honda, Yamaha, BMW)

http://www.sjsoman.com/bikersoman/aboutus.htm

In my opinion Oman has some of the best riding in the world and definitely the best roads! Nizwa is right in the middle of it! I had my Harley for 3 years, put on 25,000 km and saw most of Oman on it. What an experience. Go for it!

Two friends of mine have dual purpose bikes..off/on road and that may be a better way to go if you want to do some wadis and desert. Although I have driven the Harley through Wadi Tyeen (50 km or so) I would not recommend it except for the lark.

Driving a bike in Oman I found to be no more dangerous than driving in North America(perhaps less). The roads are in better condition and often divided and if you have experienced LA, Detroit, Chicago, New York, Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, San Antonio, Houston, Miami or any other large city, Muscat is a piece of cake. Nizwa is no problem.....been there, done that and am living to tell about it.

"Live to ride, ride to live". Anyone can rent/buy a Rio to get around in.....if you want to experience Oman get a bike or a 4x4 pickup.

Good to hear! I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd try to resurrect this one rather than starting a new thread. I've been a biker for years and have ridden through much of Southeast/South Asia. I was wondering if you see many Royal Enfields around Oman? It's just that they are my favourite bike and I would love to buy one, but I'm just wondering if they are easy to purchase and get parts for. If anyone has any thoughts, it would be great to hear from you Smile.
omanoman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, you are in luck! There is a newish Royal enfield dealer / shop now selling new ones.

It is just beside the highway going into ruwi, just after al Nahda hospital, on the right , there is a line of shops, a used car / boat dealer and the bike shop is in the middle of that line. I think a new one is going for about 1200-1500 rials.

omanoman
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

omanoman wrote:
well, you are in luck! There is a newish Royal enfield dealer / shop now selling new ones.

It is just beside the highway going into ruwi, just after al Nahda hospital, on the right , there is a line of shops, a used car / boat dealer and the bike shop is in the middle of that line. I think a new one is going for about 1200-1500 rials.

omanoman

Cool. That's great - thanks so much! A decent, second-hand one would be fine, but brand new would be OK as well. I'll be in Salalah so it would be a fair drive, but it might be doable. Thanks again!
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="1st Sgt Welsh)I'll be in Salalah so it would be a fair drive, but it might be doable. Thanks again![/quote]

If you've been told that you're going to Salalah then many of the negative points being posted on here don't apply to the same extent. There's a really good British HOD there and teachers don't seem to leave as much or as quickly. The only drawback may be that teachers often have to surrender their accommodation during the summer break even if they're coming back, this means having to find storage for stuff. The reason is that Salalah is a tourist destination in the summer and property attracts high rentals. In any case you've done well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: