Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

International Study Management/Education Experts
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pegycove

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:27 pm    Post subject: International Study Management/Education Experts Reply with quote

Hi

Has anyone heard of this recruiter? We (husband and I) have been offered positions in Najran.

Thanks

pegy
Renata

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a similar question - I have been in touch with them and they seem to be reliable, but I'd like to get some first hand experience before I decide to accept what they have to offer. Especially because I plan to get a teaching position and go to KSA with my 6 year old son, so I don't need any "suprises" on the way...
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will need to search for a job that provides tuition expenses for your son. The schools are extremely expensive and will eat up a big chunk of your salary if not covered by your employer.

VS
Renata

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for advice, VS. My husband is also going to work in KSA, so even if they will not cover the tuition at all or will cover just a part of it, we will hopefully afford it. But we will keep that in mind, surely.
Have you heard anything about International Study Management/Education Experts?

pegycove - How long did it take for your CVs to be accepted by the uni in Najran? We talked to Shamim Ghani yesterday and he said that our CV were sent in the second batch, so I assume yours were in the first.
pegycove

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

renata:

ıt took about two weeks. but we're stıll waıtıng for confırmatıon

PC
Mia Xanthi

Location: why is my heart still in the Middle East while the rest of me isn't?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My husband is also going to work in KSA, so even if they will not cover the tuition at all or will cover just a part of it, we will hopefully afford it. But we will keep that in mind, surely.

Let me repeat VS's advice: do not go unless they offer to pay your child's tuition. Tuition can be as much as $20,000 US a year for a good school, and you do not want to send your child to a second-rate private school in Saudi Arabia. You should check into the availability of top-notch private schools in Najran before you even consider taking this offer.

It is customary for your employer to pay tuition. Do not feel that you would be demanding too much by asking for this.
Renata

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mia, I haven't been offered a job in Najran, pegycove mentioned it in her post Wink I was advised to choose Tabuk because of the weather and the int schools which we could choose for our son - if the tuition is that high, I will definitely ask someone in ISM about it.
Never Ceased To Be Amazed

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeez! I hadda Google Earth it to convince myself that I wasn't mistaken!

NAJRAN??? Talking getting away from it all! Najran is the Siberia or the Alaska Command of saudi arabia! It is literally at the end of the road is the most southern, hottest, driest part of the ksa! Keep going and you'll discover the deadly embrace of the Empty Quarter.

I thought that al jouf was bad! Doesn't ANYBODY look things up on a map nowadays???

Sheesh!!!

NCTBA
johnslat

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear NCTBA,
Actually, Najran's a nice place, about a quarter of a million people, a little over 4000 ft altitude, and not exceptionally hot:

http://www.tutiempo.net/en/Weather/Najran/OENG.htm

100 degrees isn't at all bad for August in the Kingdom.

I've been there, and I liked it more than I did Riyadh (which, admittedly, is
rather faint praise.)

Regards,
John
Mia Xanthi

Location: why is my heart still in the Middle East while the rest of me isn't?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't it actually a Christian enclave at one time? Or am I getting my remote Saudi cities mixed up?
johnslat

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mia,
It was indeed:

"Before the advent of Islam, Najran was an oasis, with a large Christian population and the seat of a Bishopric. It sheltered an oligarchy of Christian merchants which were as rich as any in Edessa or Alexandria. It had been an important stop on the spice route from Hadhramaut.
Najran had been an important centre of Christianity in South Arabia and the focus of international intrigues in which economics, politics, and religion were all entangled.
The highlight of Christian presence in South Arabia caused a severe clash between Jews and Christians. Various Christian sources reveal that the arrival and spread of Christianity in South Arabia, particularly Najran, was bitterly opposed by the local Jews which would later have serious implications on both sides. The Jews of Najran were in contact with their co-religionists in Palestine and were seemingly effective prosletyzers. The existence of Judaism in Southern Arabia also preceded the existence of Christianity by several centuries and dated back to the destruction of the Second temple in 70 CE.
The Christians of Najran later came into conflict with the Jewish rulers of Yemen, which ended in their being massacred in 524 by the Himyarite king,Yusuf As'ar Dhu Nuwas. The Najranite Christians, like other Southern Arabian Christian communities, had close connections with the ecclesiastical authorities in Byzantium and Abyssinia. They were identified by virtue of their religion as "pro-Axumite" and "pro-Byzantine".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Najran#The_Christians_and_Jews_of_Najran_and_their_expulsion

Regards,
John

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently, John, I was informed by a saudi who had been assigned by the military to "Najran" for training. He was a riyadh boy. Apparently, the military in "Najran" is out of the elevations as he considered it a living hell. And, he was from riyadh. Then again, he also confessed on having a saudi girlfriend, so maybe it was the remoteness that made him feel that way.

Hey! What the he** were YOU doing down in Najran anyway??? Jes' lookin' for outta the way places like I did?

NCTBA
johnslat

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear NCTBA,
Just sight-seeing, hitting all the major tourist spots, such as Khamis Mushayt, Najran, Habalah, and, of course Medain Saleh.

I picked up my dagger and scabbard in Najran:

http://www.yourwonder.com/photos/tC983526C3F6EAB22.jpg

Not mine but it looks exactly like it.

I mean, if you're going to live there, you might as well see as much of it as you can.

Regards,
John

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tag! You're it!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

NCTBA
johnslat

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear NCTBA,
Of course, I'm it - always have been. I forgot to mention the great basket souks in both Khamis and Najran. Come to think on it, they'd be perfect for a "basket-case" such as yourself.
Regards,
John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 1 of 15

Jump to: