Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Al Marefa Educational Services

View previous topic :: View next topic  
paysheet

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:39 am    Post subject: Al Marefa Educational Services Reply with quote

Has anyone had any experience of working with this company? Positive or negative?

I have a job offer working with them teaching English at the MOD. After reading previous comments about the previous contractor there and indeed the MOD am somewhat reluctant to accept.

Any information would be useful such as what accommodation is like, what there is outside of work to do (is the accommodation on a compound for instance and does it have a gym/common room). The information I have been able to get off the company itself has been limited.

Many thanks for your help and time.
may-rabin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This company has just taken over the contract from the previous agency. Generally I had a good experience though many people were unhappy. You choose and pay for your own accommodation from your allowance.

Do you have a contact e-mail address for them. When do they anticipate starting?
paysheet

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:29 am    Post subject: Al Marefa Reply with quote

So you worked as an English Language Teacher at the MOD?
How long ago was this and how was your experience.
What were the main gripes people had?

Now the accommodation is provided but shared.

(MOD edit)
rowntree

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The company probably has good intentions. The owner undoubtedly has scruples. Unfortunately his admin and senior management leave a lot to be desired......The company has big plans and at present owns 2 English schools- one of which is in Mangaf and the other in Hawalli. They also have an Institute for higher education / female students (Kuwaiti) in Hawalli. This new MOD contract is branching out for them. If you sign up, you should be paid at least 900KD + housing of 100KD as some of their school staff are getting this.

Last edited by rowntree on Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
paysheet

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:09 pm    Post subject: Al Marefa Reply with quote

So basically not a company you would chose to work for Rowntree.

Can they be relied upon to pay their staff. If worst comes to worse could hang on to Christmas or an academic year, is this possible as fancy a break from teaching in UK?
rowntree

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.
15yearsinQ8

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marafie also 'manages' the berlitz in kuwait
hhhmmmm, berlitz is archaic audio lingual 'teaching' - mod is too
well , if oral drills and learn it if you can is your thing.....
Marrsbar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: someone who actually knows what's going on!!! Reply with quote

So maybe you can tell me how does one find out where ones papers are in the Ministry? Do you have any idea how long they usually take to proces?

Thanks in anticipation
Marrsbar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry - my message was addressed to rowntree - but somehow only half appeared!
SO

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:55 am    Post subject: be wary Reply with quote

I would be wary dealing with them.

The communication with the agent was poor, not his English abilities but his timeliness. Maybe it's not a scam but the agent's follow-up was poor.

For instance, sending emails about your itinerary when you are asleep that needed to be addressed immediately. He had sent the eticket and I had to depart the next day. There was no communication for 3 days as to next steps or a timetable just we need you to be here next week. Its unrealistic.

There were other issues: there was a spam message that showed up in his mail, I ran his email in emailfinder.com and it said the email address [email protected] appears to be invalid. Click here to run another search.

If you received a message from this address, the email was likely "spoofed" and actually from someone else. This is quite common.

He replied saying he addressed the spam issue but I never found it, haha.

I didnt go. Maybe, I got spooked, hell they have the 11th largest GDP and its a government contract, he'll get his money back. It might have been legit and I wanted to go there but the experience left a bad taste in my mouth.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: