Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Used Book Stores in Hong Kong?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kai6854

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 3:15 pm    Post subject: Used Book Stores in Hong Kong? Reply with quote

I am an avid reader and am currently teaching in Zhuhai. I've heard mention of used book stores in Hong Kong which sell American novels, etc. a lot cheaper than a regular one. I'd be taking the ferry from Zhuhai to either Kowloon or Central District. Anyone know of a book store not to far from these ferry terminals? I'd like to get in and out relatively fast, this being the spring holiday. Thanks!!! Laughing
ChrisRose

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many used book stores in HK.

They fall into two catagories:

Used school text books, Secondary (no primary books).
These are an excellent resource.

Used books general.
These tend to be more small market type stalls. Pot luck as to if you find what your looking for.

However on a trip to Shenzhen, I saw a shop which sold copy books. Every book with a list cost of over $200HK was there. Admittedly most were dictioanries, course books, but of course the inevitable Harry Potter!

You may be able to find a club or association where people can donate thier old books. This is a great way to save money. If not perhaps you could start one.

Many people buy a book for a long journy and have no intention of keeping it for ever. Ask around the expat clubs and organisations if anyoen has a book exchange scheme or wishes to start one. The collectios tend to grow rapidly, as peopel whom are about to leave the counry drop of boxes of surplus to requirments goodies.

Chris
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
dandan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 4:12 am    Post subject: 2nd hand books Reply with quote

There's a shop by the escalator in mid-levels that buys and sells 2nd hand books and CDs, can't remember the name of it, just walk up the midlevels escalator from Central, it's on the left hand side. There used to be one in Wan Chai too, but I'm not sure if it's still there.
Roger

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shop under the travelator is called FLOW; it's on the second floor of an unassuming house beside the stairs leading up to Hollywood Road.
Some street name ending in 'Terrace", if not mistaken.
Ask tel. 1081 for the exact location and phone number!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: