Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Matty's Application Form

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aziraphale

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 8:42 am    Post subject: Matty's Application Form Reply with quote

Hi folks,

I take it that other people have applied for Matty's School Of English.

Is it just me, or does their application form (http://www.mmjp.or.jp/mattys/APPLICATION.htm) seem rather intrusive? Can anyone offer insight into why they need the names and occupations and ages of both my parents, as well as the names and ages of my siblings, etc...? Not only that, but my passport number, expiry date, etc...?

If I hadn't seen their school name on several websites, including this one, I would think that there was some kind of fraud/social engineering involved here. What gives? Why do they need this kind of info? I'd just e-mail and ask them, but I'm worried that questioning their form may colour their view of me. If they're not a bunch of freakos, I really would like this job-- the school sounds pretty cool.

Ideas, anyone?
Glenski

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my personal opinion, asking your religion is an immediate tip-off against this place. I have never heard of any application asking that, nor have I heard of any place wanting to know your height/weight, GPA (most schools in Japan don't even know what that is), and any information about one's family. Since it's not required, leave it all blank. (And, question 30 answers why they ask about religion.)

Your passport information is definitely important and not intrusive.

Asking about whether you smoke may pertain only to the type of housing they provide, and I find it laughable that they would even venture to ask about drinking habits.

They [/u]do seem to be rather nosy about certain things, but I'm guessing that they've had their share of bad teachers and want to weed them out. Interesting way to do it, however.

Two of the hypothetical questions are amusing. Questions 25-28 are hilarious.

Bottom line: I would never in a million years apply to this company.
Lucy Snow

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 5:57 pm    Post subject: Intrusive Applications Reply with quote

I applied for a job at a high school in Japan that not only wanted to know how many meters I could swim without stopping, but also my bust size.

I'm still trying to figure out why that needed to know that.
Mike L.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll concur with Glenski. The application is way too intrusive. I also noticed it's geared to getting people to come from abroad. That should set off alarm bells as it means they they don't what people who have experience here, and thus know what's going on as far as working conditions.

Even more suspicious is that they claim by working for them you can earn credits towards a master's degree from some "Minnonite University" in Indiana or somewhere. Wonder if the place is accredited? Even if it is, so what? You can do that by working anywhere doing as distance master's.

Bottom line, although the site is slick, these people seem to want to know way to much about perspective employees. Now imagine working for them and living in housing they arrange.

I would avoid it.

Good luck! Keep looking! Wink
aziraphale

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 10:45 am    Post subject: Thanks, everyone! Reply with quote

Thanks for your input, everyone!

I've decided not to apply to this school. Although the intrusive application form has something to do with it (to their credit, they do mention that you don't have to answer all the questions), it actually has to do with the fact that everytime I see an ad posted for them somewhere, they have different degree requirements.

Sometimes it's a B.A. or B.Sc. (English, Linguistics, Education, or TEFL preferred), and sometimes they say they require a valid teaching license, and sometimes they say that your degree MUST be in Education/TEFL.

It's a shame, since it looks like it could be an okay place to teach, but they seem a little bit paranoid and confused. Oh well, I guess I'll just keep looking.

Thanks again, folks!

P.S. Glenski-- you say asking for the passport number, etc. is valid. Why would they need any of that information at the application stage? I'm not trying to challenge you, as I'm sure you know what you're talking about, but if you could fill me in, I'd appreciate it.
Glenski

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They probably don't want the passport number per se. Many outfits in Japan ask for a photocopy of the contact page of your passport at this stage. Not only does it save time if the remaining materials complete a visa paperwork package, but it at least shows that the candidate has a visa (and what type it may be). This is important in one respect, if not others, and that is, it shows that there won't be further delays in processing paperwork.

Plus, it shows your face on a legal document, for what that's worth.

The more I think about that place, the more I feel it has strong religious overtones that lean toward a domineering managerial platform. Yes, you can omit lots of information on that application form, but the more you leave out, the less likely they may be (in my opinion, of course) to even consider you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: