Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ways to supplement your income in Argentina

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Argentina
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Widespread123

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:29 pm    Post subject: Ways to supplement your income in Argentina Reply with quote

I know the wages in Argentina are low and I would like to live down there for as long as I can. I wonder what other jobs are available to gringos down in BA. Can you get jobs bartending, tour guiding, or anything else catering to English-speaking folk. I would be coming down with an extremely low-level of Spanish. Hopefully down the line I can do something using my spanish skill Smile
AndrewR

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump

I'm curious too.
spanglish

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another bump. I'm also curious. I've also heard that it's pretty tough (impossible?) for an American to get a work visa.
JasonP

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:53 pm    Post subject: me too Reply with quote

I would like some information about ways to supplement your income as well, any odd jobs really, i just dont want to break the bank while im down there.
kellyknu

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also be interested in this, but I guess there are really no other options from the lack of responses. What about if you had a decent level of spanish?
deepteeth

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No other options or people don't want to release their secret to the world, even if it's not a huge secret.

The best way to earn passive income is to own property, however insignificant, in your home country and rent it out.

Otherwise, try to meet lots of wealthy parents and grandparents. If you meet the right people, they'd love to hire you off the books as a private tutor for their grand/children.
wiganer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teaching is your best bet, it is that or call centre work which is far more stressful and not better paid though you get more hours and end up with more money. Basically, you lack of legal status means you won't have much in the way of options. There is no secret back door to make more money and nor is there a secret back door to becoming legal once you land there - apart from marrying an Argentinian.
irwin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very easy to acquire pupils for private lessons. I have absolutely no job experience and I have people lined up to learn English. I am living in San Juan, which is just north of Mendoza. I can think of no other job besides an English instructor that you could obtain without knowing sufficient Spanish. In fact, people here presume that you need to know Spanish to teach English. Thank God for that full immersion theory... On a brighter note, I know quite a few porte�os (people from BA) and they tell me that BA can be very expensive and also very cheap--it just depends on whether or not you know where to go. And cheap does not necessarily mean ghetto. People here are very hungry to learn English and the culture is very open. I believe that you will not have trouble finding pupils and friends that know the city.
leweiss

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you all know if there are opportunities to work as a waitress/ tour guide/ etc. if I do speak Spanish? I mean, I would still probably be on a tourist visa having to hop over to Monte every 3 months... but in Chile I know a lot of places will pay you under the table.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Argentina All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: