Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The American College of the Middle East

View previous topic :: View next topic  
disregardedknowledge

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:07 am    Post subject: The American College of the Middle East Reply with quote

I have read a lot about ACM.

Doesn't sound too good.

Is KD 1170 (basic salary), KD 225 (housing allowance), and KD 105 (transportation) a good salary or not.

I am not trying to beat this topic to death, but any comments about the pay, about the working conditions, would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to PM me. It sounds very shady and an unpleansant atmosphere to work. Any thoughts or advice are welcome. Again, feel free to PM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
15yearsinQ8

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

from what i hear of last year, aum made teachers thumb in and out for 40 hours a week then be available for recruitment events, etc periodically
even though the actual teaching time was 15-18 hours a week

do the math, that comes out to a mandatory 25-22 hours a week instead of 5-10 standard
i hear the curri. is 'make it up as you go along'
the mother company ran human soft with draconian methods of documenting everything during a work day - to include times outside the office/away from desk (ie in the toilet, smoking , etc) and monitored internet and phone usage putting out memos threatening to block urls that were 'not work related and decreased productivity'

gthe money is standard - i hope the private health insurance is generous - but the hours will kill you

Last edited by 15yearsinQ8 on Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:40 am; edited 1 time in total
RUBALKHALI

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: AUM Reply with quote

I would appreciate a clarification about AUM. I thought I read on this forum that they were a start up project...or might that be just the Preparatory Programme?? How long has AUM existed? Starting a whole new university is a very ambitious project. Is somebody certain where they are located in the city? Thank you.

RUBALKHALI Confused
15yearsinQ8

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they're located in egilla - near fintas - south of the city in a facility about the size of GUST was when they were born - the current small AUM facilty is surrounded my empty lots (the 'future home of a larger campus facility) - we get the concept - use revenue of current students to fund expansion (hense a great pressure to pass students keeping them contributing and keep the revenue coming) along with start up capital from board of directors' other businesses . the govt matches revenue by assuring a student base in the form of paying the tuition of the majority of students who supposedly qualified as 'scholarship students' (getting around 87% high school average - not real hard to do)
they have been in the start up phase for years - waiting on ministry paperwork approval, funding and land
the current facility only houses the foundation program and a few credited classes for those students able to test high enough to forego the foundation year - as with everything in kuwait, the cafeteria and soccer pitch is sparkly and available for public tour - the classrooms are not
ACM is the foundation program for AUM
they have a lot of things going against them
1) shady management
2) draconian work environment poorly organized
beware, and remember how BAD GUST was initially (and still is?)
AUK on the other hand had curric. , educational policies and academic procedures hashed out by seasoned university administrators and locked in place as the shovels were digging, hence a smooth opening and high standards from day 1
GUST and AUM/AUC (even BOxhill and ACK) were making it up on t he fly with the emphasis on revenue instead of educational standards and sound and proven adminstrative policies
SL22

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ACM IS GREAT PLACE TO BE! MANDATORY HOURS ON CAMPUS ARE 22HRS.
rowntree

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SL....I take it you are recently arrived in Kuwait..............Smile
csillagszem2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:45 am    Post subject: American College of the Middle East Reply with quote

Hi there,

I just got contacted by recruiters representing ACM. I was wondering if this forum is still active and somebody can give me some further insights into the college life, and into Kuwait life in general. Would appreciate it a lot! Smile
csillagszem2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:45 am    Post subject: American College of the Middle East Reply with quote

Hi there,

I just got contacted by recruiters representing ACM. I was wondering if this forum is still active and somebody can give me some further insights into the college life, and into Kuwait life in general. Would appreciate it a lot! Smile
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend who is currently teaching there....he says it is a horrible place to work...micro management, arrogant and spoiled students who expect you as a teacher to cater to their every whim (if you don't pass them you will be out of a job!)....and YES he is currently seeking employment elsewhere in the Gulf. Regarding living in Kuwait he says it is more expensive than other GCC countries in every aspect...food, accomodation and transport..On a positive note he has saved some money after 2 years of teaching there. Shocked
csillagszem2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, for the quick reply! Helped a lot! That was exactly that I was thinking about, how different it can be from other Gulf Countries. So, I found your comment insightful. And good luck to your friend in relocating to another country Very Happy
mashkif

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: American College of the Middle East Reply with quote

csillagszem2 wrote:
Hi there,

Don't do it.

Period.

It's not a college; it's a two-bit language-school-*beep*-daycare-center-*beep*-sweatshop.

You might take the position for the money, and only for the money, but be sure to check your personae as a committed educator and as a human being with dignity at the door.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: