Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Logistics / Practical things for new arrivals
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Linda467

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:27 am    Post subject: Logistics / Practical things for new arrivals Reply with quote

Hi there,

For the veterans already there in KSA, Jeddah in particular, could you please give us any hints or provide info on where to shop (not only groceries but very helpful, as well as hair dressers, good hotel buffet, gyms, etc.) and also if you have been to the hospital, docs - dentist there?

Any place to buy treats from the West? Were to buy small appliances, maybe couple of rugs, bedding, etc.

Thanks very much in advance

Linda467
Grendal

Location: Lurking in the depths of the Faisaliah Tower underground parking.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I advise against rugs.

If Jeddah is anything like Bahrain, then it's hot, humid, sticky and dusty.

Grendal
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Grendal... what do you have against rugs? My rugs are the best thing I bought in my years in the Gulf. Of course, I was on the other side of the Gulf where our choice may have been better due to the direct link across the water to Iran.

As to the rest of your questions Linda, these are questions that are more easily answered once you are there and directions and store names make more sense. This is the type of information that expats share over tea/coffee all the time. Laughing It helps you to get to know people there too.

VS
Linda467

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand completely VS and shared what your opinion about the tea or coffee information exchange but I do not think either me or anyone on that group will like to be waiting to access this forum waiting for groceries, going hungry Smile)) so some small tips always hepful if anything o get you by till we are a bit settled.

Just so you know I was posted in Jordan for two years and have been to Kuwait, all UAE, including Bahrain, KSA, just overnight, Lybia, Yemen, etc., but back then wearing a uniform so I know a bit about the area, people, culture and ways of doing things. If you see me with the abaya, ouch ! you�ll think I am one of them, specially if I get to practice my Arabic - getting a few crash lessons to help me remember.

Ups !, I forgot I was posted two years in Brunei too Smile
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Any place to buy treats from the West? Were to buy small appliances, maybe couple of rugs, bedding, etc.
In Jeddah they have these things called supermarkets; very useful.

With regard to doctors and dentists most people will use those assigned by their employer's health insurance. Jeddah is big so you're not going to get useful information on hotels, restaurants or gyms until you state in what area you are residing.
Linda467

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand you guys but if you were to ask me about for instance where can I buy stuff I could give tons of names, addresses and the likes for example in Madrid and some other cities in Europe.

For example, tea at the Dorchester Hotel in London and a visit to Harrods, a must if you are there - over exaggerating so you get the point, and that has nothing to do with location, specially if it is in the same city Laughing

I also understand if someone knows a great delicatessen and does not want to share the cookies Smile)
dareva

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject: supermarkets Reply with quote

supermarkets!? stephen, what are those? Surprised
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
if you were to ask me about for instance where can I buy stuff I could give tons of names, addresses and the likes for example in Madrid and some other cities in Europe.

Isn't that precisely the point ohter posters have been making?

Jeddah is a city of over 3 million people. There are any number of supermarkets, hairdressers, hospitals etc. As in any big city, you'll likely use the amenities close to your area or residence, which is unknown to us here.

Quote:

If by "treats from the West" you mean chocolate or snack foods, any big - or not so big - supermarket has a wide selection. Ditto with the other items you mention. Jeddah has everything from hole in wall groceries, to traditional(ish) suks, to cavernous hypermarkets. It'll take you a while to discover the places most convenient for you, but that is in the nature of any move to a new city.
Linda467

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your comments and input but I do not like to beat around the bushes, my point being, can anyone please name :

Al-Saj supermarket, carries all kinds of western treats, including marshmallows & Sara Lee pancakes mix, located in the University area, good quality-price relationship and so on and so forth or something similar?

I can name all the things that can be bought at the American Supermarket here and where to get all the goodies for the Brits as well including crumpets !!

I�ve actually contacted my Embassy and Consulate and as luck has it, it is located in Jeddah to ask for some day-to-day intel and will pass it on if anyone interested.
trapezius

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thing you should do here is get a copy of "Jeddah Today" which is a guidebook with numbers and locations of all businesses here. It is more than just a phone book. It has special sections with write-ups and pictures of restaurants, hotels, compounds, sports facilities, traditional bazaars, etc., and is small in size and printed on glossy paper. It costs SR. 20 and is available from any bookstore.

Until then, this should suffice.

'Treats' from around the world: Large chain grocery stores such as Danube, Geant, Carrefour, Giant, Panda.

Grocery stores: See above.

Electrical/electronic goods: eXtra, and Emax, two large one-stop electronics chains.

Furniture, rugs, bedding: IKEA, Centrepoint (a cheaper local 'IKEA'). For posher home furnishings, there is Debenhams (UK dept. store) and Zara Home.

Hotels: Hilton, Westin, Rosewood, Sheraton, Al Bilad, Marriott, Intercontinental, Movenpick, Radison SAS, Le Meridien, Crowne Plaza. All have daily themed buffets.

Hospitals: King Faisal Hospital, International Medical Center. These 2 are the best there, and will not be included in your medical insurance unless you get or upgrade to the "gold card". Other good major ones: GNP Hospital, Saudi German Hospital, Erfan Hospital, Sulaiman Fakeeh Hospital, Bugshan Hospital.

Dentistry: Maghrabi Dental Center (the best), GNP Hospital.

Gyms: The city is dotted with small but nice gyms on the top floors of some apartment buildings, but there are big ones as well. Gold's Gym, FitnessTime, Kai, PowerHouse Gym.

Hairdressers: There are thousands all over the city, almost all of them in the SR. 15 to SR. 30 price range. If you want a 5-star haircut, then go to any of the hotels I listed. For ladies, there are beauty salons all over the city, and there are many free-lance stylists (men and women) who will come to your residence and whose numbers are spread by word of mouth.

Health/gourmet/exotic food: GNC, Abazeer, Al Forn (also a great restaurant), and a strip of several adjacent stores on Rowdah Street. And most large chain grocers have a special aisle/section these days with special foods from Japan, Italy, France, etc.

Restaurants: Too many to list. Check out www.jeddahfood.com

EDIT:

Bookstores: Tihama, Jarir, Obeikan (all chains). The latter 2 also sell a large selection of computers, cameras, phones, and personal media players.

Last edited by trapezius on Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:08 am; edited 3 times in total
Grendal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Trap,

I'm not even posted there but now I'll probably go because of your post.

Oh by the way there's a great delicatessen downtown right next to the post office across from the bakery. Also I have a friend there his name's Abdul do you know him?

Grendal
trapezius

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I know the deli, and I know Abdul as well. Here is something you didn't know... Abdul works at that deli (he won't admit it to you), and he told me everything about you, things you don't don't other people knowing!
Grendal

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked
The Lathe of Heaven

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey grendal lay off the cat nip.

Very Happy

TLOH

ps. just trying to get enough posts so I can pm
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was waiting for you to show up Trap... I knew you were the best one to answer Linda's question.

VS
(and BTW... Abdul sent me a PM and told me all the buzz about both of you... it'll be in my novel...)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: