Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions for the Newbies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cks

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:47 pm    Post subject: Questions for the Newbies Reply with quote

We always seem to get questions from the Newbies about job prospects and how to get adjusted to the Czech Republic, but we rarely hear results. How are all the newbies doing here in Prague or the Czech Republic with employment? Are your language schools offering you visas? I am curious how the market is for you guys.
musicalchef

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you said in another post, it's a bit slow and I hope I can get more hours soon! I was able to get some proofreading work last month and would love to have more of that.

Right now looking for a room in a flat; I have all the other paperwork I need to get my visa. Unfortunately many landlords/ladies are not willing to help out with that so the options are a bit limited. There is one flat I looked at, which I would share with a very nice lady who owns the place and is willing to fill out the paperwork, but it's really far (about 20 minutes from Letnany)! I'll take it if I can't find a different flat within a week.

I'm very happy with my school. Urad prace screwed up my work permit, but my employer made them fix it (it was their mistake, not ours). They have, in general, helped a lot with my paperwork for the work permit and visa.

I lived in Sarajevo for four months earlier this year so Prague's a bit hard to get used to, but I'm surviving! Trying to learn Czech quickly so I don't feel like such a dork, always needing to take people with me to offices, etc! I'm happy with the decent selection of halal restaurants here for when I'm craving meat. I miss cheddar cheese but eidam is good too Laughing

Thanks for asking; how are you doing? Smile
cks

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. I rarely hear any updates from the newbies; they often disappear from the boards after they settle in. My schools are adding the classes slower than usual, but this week it seems that so many new classes have opened and I have been told more will open in October. It is slower than normal, but never fear- January 2010 things are predicting to get back to normal. PM me if you need any help with anything.
ITTP

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cks wrote:
Thanks for the input. I rarely hear any updates from the newbies; they often disappear from the boards after they settle in. My schools are adding the classes slower than usual, but this week it seems that so many new classes have opened and I have been told more will open in October. It is slower than normal, but never fear- January 2010 things are predicting to get back to normal. PM me if you need any help with anything.

It's always like this every year.
Classes don't pick up fully until the end of September/ early October.
Still though, there is a small downturn in classes being reported this semester and this might affect the overall number of classes being offered to teachers this year.
Our grads have reported that there are less opportunities out there but all have teaching positions now so it isn't completely dire or anything.

The trend will definitely be for a general decrease per year of the demand for English language classes as the new generations have greater English language learning skills. I do see a day coming when the level of spoken English in Prague will be on par with such cities as Copenhagen and Stockholm.

Hezky vikend!/Lovely weekend!

Neville Smile

ITTP Prague
Narodni 21, Prague 1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: