Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Certificate/Experience question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brian1972

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Certificate/Experience question Reply with quote

My wife and I have been interested in moving to Peru for a while now. We lived in Ecuador during college and have been itching to return to South America ever since.

We both have teaching certificates. Both in secondary education, hers is in Spanish mine is History. These are the only subjects we are endorsed to teach here in the states. She has about a year of part time experience teaching ESL/Literacy skills with children (here, not abroad). She also has done general education classes for adults.

We plan applying for jobs in the 2009-10 school year and at that time we will both have two years of part time teaching experience in the public school system.

Do you think with our education and little experience we have any chance of being hired by a school that pays decent?
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember you had posted a while ago.

You could teach at private or internatioal schools, but may have tosign for two years. Where do you want to go? Lima? Trujillo?

You could easily get 1000USD a monnth, up to 3K depending on where you go and how you negotiate. Look here for schools And check your PM.

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=4556
keepwalking

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would get work at the bi-lingual high schools around the country: there are several in Lima, one in Trujillo and one, I believe, in Arequipa. Within Lima the $1000 above is about right, outside Lima you should be looking at something closer to $700 to start.

Living costs are more in Lima and travelling times to work are often longer. The bi-lingual schools tend to be in the nicest barios where rent is high so you either pay a little more and can walk to work, or you pay less rent and travel each day. This isn't an issue in places like Trujillo where you can walk to work from popular areas for renting to any of the schools/institutes that hire here.

One thing to remember about working for a school is that you can get extra bonuses which you don't get in institutes. It can appear that institutes pay more on an hourly rate but schools offer holiday pay if you sign for 2 years. You get one week off every 8-9 weeks plus 3 weeks in July/August and close to 2 months Dec-February. You should also get bonus payments which can mount up to the equivalent of getting 15 months salary a year. You'll also get health insurance.

If you are interested in working in a British School (British in name only really, they all hire a range of native speakers) then look at the LAHC website where you can find out about each school. They are:

Markham College, Lima
Newton College, Lima
Cambridge College, Lima
San Silvestre (all girls school) Lima
San Jorge, Lima
Peruano-Britanico, Lima

In Trujillo there's Alexander Fleming College

These schools will start recruiting for the next year in around September/October. Send your CV's to them now and then get back in touch around September time.

PM me if you think Trujillo would be an option for you
brian1972

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:
I remember you had posted a while ago.

You could teach at private or international schools, but may have tosign for two years. Where do you want to go? Lima? Trujillo?

You could easily get 1000USD a monnth, up to 3K depending on where you go and how you negotiate. Look here for schools And check your PM.

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=4556

Thank you. I think I posted something last year, then our plans changed as we were hired by a public school in Oregon.

The links you posted were very helpful.

Remind me what "full time" teaching is considered in Peru? At a private or international school, would I be working mornings, nights? How many hours per week?

Do you know if schools sometimes provide free tuition for kids of teachers? We have two, one would be in 1st grade... the other preschool (do they do preschool in Peru??)

We are not sure exactly where we would want to go... Lima, Trujillo and Arequipa all sound nice.

naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiram Bingham
FDR are also good schools.

About tuition, usually places won't give your kids free tutuion for the first year and then it's oftenn just half, not all of it paid for.

For Arequipa there's Prescott, and in Cajamarca there's Davy.

About teaching, usually you'll have to be there aroun 730 and classes finish at 3pm, but we have to stay until 430 and towards the end of the bimestre, it's not uncommon for people to stay until six pm, or later, there was a group at my school until 1am.

Ys, they have preschool, it's nido and starts at age 3.
JimmyC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hay keepwalking....

Im comming to peru in about 4 weeks after working in korea and before this thailand..... u said to check out the LAHC website..... sorry to sound like a spas but what is it and whats the adress????

Cheers
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.lahc.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Peru All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: