Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Two years in Taiwan now what?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JZer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:51 am    Post subject: Two years in Taiwan now what? Reply with quote

Well after boucing around the US, Europe, and South Korea, I have lived in Taipei for two years today. Now what? For those of you who have been in a country for over two years what are your goals in the future? How did you feel after spending more than two years in your country?

P.S. I will be here for at least one more year. I am not looking for advice on what to do immediately.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been in Peru five years. I hate it. I can't wait to leave in Dec on a one way ticket. Here's the thing, there's simply no room for growth here. And the horrible pay scale, wehere you get a third of what intl hires get, simply because you be here and quals and exp aren't taking into account, is a joke.

My goals, ASIA. In Dec or Jan. i've been shortlisted for a job and find out in Oct. I'm hoping to stay in ASia for five years or so, have kids, put my husband through school, learn a bit of the language. Then maybe go to Romania if my citizenship works out. If it doesn't, I honestly don't know. Can't raise kids in Peru, it's 60 years behind the rest of the world. The US scares the living daylights out of me. Guess we'll just take it as we go.
Glenski

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My goals are to stay here in Japan. Been here a decade or more already.
JZer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the only way staying here would be worthwhile would be if I return to the US to get certified to teach elementary school or get a M.A. in TESOL. Actually I believe that an M.A. in TESOL is not that great. It will probably just get you a job in a university language center. I believe that working at an international school while setting up your own studyroom on the side would be the best bet.
denise

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably two more years in Oman, and then ideally back to the US--although I've been aiming to return for five years now... And regarding the "greatness" of an MA, it all depends on what you want to do. For me, it's crucial. I wouldn't be where I am now without it, and I wouldn't have a chance of doing what I want to do in the future without it. Blanket statements like "an MA is not that great" don't really help--generally, in this field, university work is considered GOOD (although there are of course exceptions--unis that will hire any ol' native speaker regardless of qualifications)--as are, of course, international schools. Any sort of qualification beyond the standard BA + TEFL is good--an MA, DELTA, or teaching license from your home country. It just depends on what sort of job you want.

d
JZer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Blanket statements like "an MA is not that great" don't really help--generally, in this field, university work is considered GOOD (although there are of course exceptions--unis that will hire any ol' native speaker regardless of qualifications)--as are, of course, international schools. Any sort of qualification beyond the standard BA + TEFL is good--an MA, DELTA, or teaching license from your home country. It just depends on what sort of job you want.

One problem I have with the M.A. is that I really don't want to teach in the Middle East. I would like to live in Central America or Germany. I believe a teacher's license and applying to international schools would be a better route considering where I would like to live. What do you think?
denise

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it depends more on the type of school you want to work for than the country. I work at a university in Oman, but there are plenty of international schools here, too, for which a credential is probably more valid/useful than an MA. And you're certainly not limited to teaching in the Middle East with an MA! I think people tend to link MAs with the ME because you're more likely to need one to work here--uni jobs, better money, etc.--those things come with MAs.

d
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bare in mind that all intl schools aren't created equally, the one I worked at had no books, no syllabus, no curriculum and routinely fired teachers in order to not pay their pensions. Also, don't just get licensed because of where you want to live. You have to be willing to work with kids and enjoy it. Also, about Germany, even if you get a license, it might be hard to get a job if you're an American, because of visa issues.
JZer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also, about Germany, even if you get a license, it might be hard to get a job if you're an American, because of visa issues.

Maybe but I don't think that international schools have a problem getting visas for teachers.
JZer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I work at a university in Oman, but there are plenty of international schools here, too, for which a credential is probably more valid/useful than an MA. And you're certainly not limited to teaching in the Middle East with an MA!

Of course you are not limited to the Middle East but in certain countries you would not have that great of a salary with an M.A. If one wants to live in Panama, Mexico, Costa Rica, Brazil, etc. A university job would pay $1000 a month or less. Maybe even only $500 in some of those countries.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JZer wrote:
Quote:
Also, about Germany, even if you get a license, it might be hard to get a job if you're an American, because of visa issues.

Maybe but I don't think that international schools have a problem getting visas for teachers.
Actually, yes they do. they'd much rather employ someone from the EU that doesn't need a visa, then go through the long hard process. Maybe in the newer EU countries you'd have a shot. But in the old ones, there's lots of competition and you'll need connections. Maybe PM spiral78 for more info.

About the MA, yep, add Peru to the low pay list as well. Here a uni job will pay about 700 to 1000 usd a month, but only 8 months out of the year, because exams and vacations mean NO pay.
JZer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I don't think an M.A. is the way to go if you want to live in a third world country for the long term. Working at an international school would probably be better.
spanglish

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can do pretty well here in Bogota with an MA + experience, like $2000/month, probably more if you get a supervisory position. Of course those are the best jobs.

And there's always the British Council.
Blingcosa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We could sure use people in Afar country - I consider Afar part of the middle east, so you probably wouldn't consider that - I recommend it though.

How about Hong Kong?
Jobs in the PRC pay well these days too.

You mentioned Germany. What about Switzerland? They speak German, and I believe they aren't an EU member. I know Wall St Institute have branches there. www.wallstreetinstitute.com
JZer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blingcosa, I am probably looking to get a teacher's license back in the US. That means I will be spending two to three years in the US. After that I might head to Central America or whereever I can get a good job teaching in an international school.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: