Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Montevideo - Uruguay - the undiscovered gem of South America
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swimweh

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really have much to say other than I'm glad somebody got talk started about Uruguay! I taught in BA for 4 months at a high school and as summer arrived I fled to the beaches of Uruguay. Best decision ever. Anyone who sticks around BA over the summer is nuts. Anyway, I'm not a huge fan of complete craziness, only craziness in moderation, so I preferred little beach towns like La Paloma and Punta del Diablo over the flashy Punta del Este (I didn't teach in Uruguay). In the end I decided to move up to Ecuador, but I'm very jealous that some of you are getting to spend more time in the country. If I had to move to a country in S. American, hands down it would be Uruguay.
CountBassD

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swimeh, your experience sounds great.

What are your qualifications? What was the interview process like? How long did it take you to find work in different cities?
Souriante

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:54 pm    Post subject: Montevideo this summer Reply with quote

I'm interested in going to Montevideo this summer. I'm a high school French teacher and I have an MA in teaching ESL. I was wondering how easy it would be to get a teaching job there since it would be in the middle of their school year. Are there institutes that hire year round and would any be interested in someone who could teach French and English? Would I spend most of my time just looking for a job before I had to return to the U.S. in August? Thanks!!
Caractacus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:43 pm    Post subject: Montevideo this summer Reply with quote

Hi Souriante
I don't know anything about the French teaching scene here but I do know that there are institutes that teach French.
I don't think it would be a problem getting work in the middle of the school year, but you probably shouldn't bank on getting too much, especially if you're only going to be here for 3 months or so.
If you think of it as a holiday with the opportunity to work a bit rather than a way to make a lot of money fast, you should be okay.
socratesocks

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My gf and I are English teachers in Korea at the moment, and we're thinking about moving to MV in October 2010. We'll be coming with a good bit of savings from Korea, and a couple of online classes to teach late at night, so we won't need to look for work right away if at all. What's the cost of living like, I know alot of people like to say, "Don't look for Uruguay to be cheap," but I'd like to decide what is and what isn't cheap after the ballpark figure. So what is the ballpark figure for a one bedroom apartment in a nice Montivideo neighborhood? How much is needed to live comfortably (dinner out twice a week, coffee shops, gym, internet, cell phone, groceries), not skimpy not frugal? How quickly can you find an apartment and get the internet set up (online classes to teach)? Can you walk right into a month to month situation as a foreigner, or are they going to want long term leases and deposits? How about getting a CELTA (my gf has one, I don't) in MV? Is it possible to get work with experience and a BA but no CELTA?

Thanks for the info, it'd be extremely helpful. It's surprisingly hard to find out about this city.
jebedu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may want to go to Uruguay some time after October 2010 and would like to land a teaching job once I get there. Does anyone know when the school year begins? Would I have trouble finding a job in November/December?

Thanks!
NorthTowardsHome

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:37 am    Post subject: Caratacus.....a clarification question Reply with quote

I am still a little confused regarding your savings rate...ref your 7 Jan. post of $4kusd in 6 months and your 4Feb post ref $4000pesos in 9 months....is there a currency translation issue here or perhaps a living expense issue? or both? Help! and Thanks
Mikhail_

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I would resurrect this topic a bit since I'm coming to Montevideo next week and I'm hoping to stay. Anybody out there right now?
Caractacus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I am!
Send me a message when you get here and we can go out for a beer or something.
Mikhail_

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good Caractacus. I'll let you know when I arrive.
Also, do you know of a good place to stay for a week or two (on the cheaper side)? I was thinking of going to one of these hostels - either Pocitos or Planet Montevideo.
reddevil79

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:21 am    Post subject: BBC Article Reply with quote

A recent BBC article about Uruguay:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-11397130
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good. i'd love to go there. Too bad they don't just require a lump sum for retirement though.
Dragonlady

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

out of date

Last edited by Dragonlady on Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:37 am; edited 1 time in total
ouroboros42

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:02 pm    Post subject: Coming to Montevideo Feb 2011! Reply with quote

Hey all,

Planning to come to Montevideo Feb 2011. Does anyone know of the schools that are currently seeking teachers for next semester? Thought I'd shoot some emails out before everyone takes off in Dec/Jan.

Also, anyone know of the cheap airlines that fly from Rio de Janiero to Montevideo? I can fly for free to Rio, but I need to find a flight from there.

I'm planning on using couch surfing until I find some income...anyone have much experience with that? I usually do the hostel thing, but a few weeks at 10-15 a night adds up.

Ok, 3 questions is enough...hope to meet up with some of you when I arrive. Looking forward to a new adventure!!

Laura
Caractacus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya

Gol is probably the cheapest to get from Rio to MVD, although I think TAM and Pluna are both quite cheap if you book early.

If you look at my first posting you'll find the contact details of a few institutes, not sure what their plans are for next semester since I'm jetting off myself in mid-Dec but it's worth contacting them.

And I don't have any experience with Couchsurfers in MVD but some of my students are on it so I think it's probably a fairly safe bet.

Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: