Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cheapest CELTA in Latin America: Do you know where it is?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcloo7

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:06 am    Post subject: Cheapest CELTA in Latin America: Do you know where it is? Reply with quote

I've been researching the most affordable CELTA options. I live in the US and the cheapest options are in South America, as there are only three or four CELTA locations in the US and they're all in expensive cities which I don't live near. So including airfare it's cheaper to get the CELTA in South America. So far, Ive seen that Ecuador is about 2200 including accommodations, and I know there's a place in Brazil thats around 1400 but they only have it twice a year and there's no accommodations. Does anyone know of any places cheaper, or the same, as these where accommodations are included and convenient to the location? Thanks.
sunshinefiasco

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm almost positive you could find one closer than Ecuador. Look at International House, and look here: http://cambridgeesol-centres.org/centres/teaching/index.do

You will almost assuredly find one in Mexico. And look into whether the course can help you find accomodation-- it should be fairly cheap.
mcloo7

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks it looks like Ecuador might be cheaper though because it's around 2200 dollars including accommodation and meals. The IH Riviera Maya is 1700 plus over a thousand bucks for accommodations and meals, I'm not sure about the other sites in Mexico though. The flight to Ecuador is a couple hundred dollars more at most, but I think it would still turn out to be cheaper.
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the course in Ecuador, it was a couple of years ago now, but it was the cheapest at the time, the prices have gone up a little since then. I was happy with it, the trainers were good, the course was good, the accommodation and facilities were basic but it was a good introduction to life & work in Latin America.

However, in general you are better to choose a course in the country you want to work in, rather than by price alone.
mcloo7

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been told that but wouldn't you have to leave the country to get a work visa? I'm thinking about China, or somewhere else in Asia. So I was thinking the process would be easier to do from home, and I would just take the ESL for as cheap as possible. Thanks for the info about Ecuador. Is it highly possible to avoid parasites if you take all the necessary precautions?
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The visa situation depends entirely on the country.

I have very very limited experience in Asia (Japan) but unlike most places, the CELTA doesn't seem to carry a lot of weight here as the teaching style is generally very different. I'd suggest you ask on the Asia board first to find out whether it will be useful for you.

I don't know what you would consider sensible precautions. I've picked up parasites in various countries, and I think I am pretty careful about what I eat and drink. I've never had anything really serious though. In Ecuador I just took antiparasitics once a year or so (more often if I was concerned that I might have picked something up). They are available over the counter in pharmacies. I wish I'd stocked up on them for travel in other countries where the pharmacy laws are tighter (e.g. Peru). I'd have thought there would be a fairly high chance of it happening in China, probably not so much in Japan though.
mcloo7

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. On the Asia boards most people seem to recommend the CELTA. Actually they say out of a few other Asian countries, CELTA is appreciated in China the most, and I know in Korea you get a slightly higher salary if you have it. You can get a job in many Asian countries without one, but it helps to have one. Plus, I need to learn how to teach, because as of now I have no clue. I have ordered a book though.
kona

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CELTA has no value over a 100 hr TEFL cert in Korea. Most Koreans don't even know what it is. I've heard SEA (like vietnam) you get a little more mileage out of the CELTA though. I do think it's a good investment over your run-of-the-mill 100 hr. TEFL course, as it has a standardized curriculum that seems to be pretty good.

I've heard the CELTA gets you further in Colombia. Other countries in LA, not sure; maybe do a search on the Mexico forum?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: