Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any writers out there?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MattElz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:43 pm    Post subject: Any writers out there? Reply with quote

I am a freelance writer and though things are starting to take off for me on that front to a certain degree here in the US, I can't shake whatever it is that's pulling me across the ocean.

My interest in doing this is a desire to travel and explore other cultures (obviously), but I am also considering teaching as a career path (if I like it.) This is because I just feel that although writing is probably my greatest passion, it's a little isolating to do 24/7. And also it seems like there is more of a tangible contribution to be made as a teacher (granted your students are willing to be motivated.)

That said, how many of you left home for an overseas teaching experience - and are writers of some sort? Is it possible or common to have parallel careers in writing and teaching English abroad?

How did it all mesh together? Did you have to compromise your dedication to one field or the other?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
khmerhit

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

STOP!!!!!!!!! Halt RIGHT THERE, SONNY BOY!!!! Did you not know there are newspapers out in the heathen evil-doer lands? Before you set one foot in the English teaching field, consider working for one of the many small English-language dailies that sprout like weeds in the receding paths of dying communist governments, moribund rebel movements and sundry toppled regimes across the world--viz. Kabul, Baghdad, Prague, Moscow, etc etc. They need to be staffed with writers and editors. Send them your resume TODAY.

Yes, you can teach and write----- for the first few weeks. After that, (whistle) it's: Teacher teacher teacher!!! Yes yes yes!!
You'll be lucky if you have any time to read.

Anyway, that has been my experience.
I do know a few writers who also teach, but they rarely combine the two tasks at the same time.

all the grooviest
khmerhit
johnslat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:16 pm    Post subject: Write on Reply with quote

Dear MattElz,
I agree with khmerhit. If you take your teaching job seriously and do the best you can, then you just aren't going to have much - if any - time to write. Of course, if you're independently wealthy and can teach for only a few hours a week, that's another story (so to speak). But if you're teaching between 20 to 30 (or more) hours a week - as, I think, most of us do/did - then the only writing you'll be doing is handouts, quizzes, tests, etc.
Regards,
John
MattElz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok ... But if all that's true, I'm curious to know how stable those posts (English language publicaitons) are as a opposed to English teaching jobs.

Are there real staff positions with decent salaries for reporters and editors? Or do they just work with freelancers? I suspect the latter but will be pleasantly surprised if you can shoot that notion down. But if jobs for writers at overseas magazines and newspapers do exist in the way that Khmerlit described, the competition must be fierce. I am a recent college graduate with a decent amount of writing under my belt, but it mainly consists of stories that I've been able to produce here and there while working a variety of yucky day jobs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
johnslat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:38 pm    Post subject: Going to the write place Reply with quote

Dear MattEzl.
Got to admit I know NOTHING about overseas posts for journalists (although I am presently reading an article in the Jan. 5th, 2004 issue of "The New Yorker" magazine about Lawrence Wright, who got a job at a Saudi paper, "Okaz"). But are you familiar with this site:

http://www.toad.net/%7Eandrews/jobs.html

It's a start, and I'd say the Net would an excellent way to try to find a journalism job somewhere overseas.
Regards,
John
khmerhit

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Matt--- have a gander at this:http://www.newsparadise.com/

Also, there is the Cambodia Daily and the Phnom Penh Post, plus newspapers in Taiwan, Malaysia, etc etc etc etc...not to mention the remaining continests of the world. have you heard of the Tico Times in Costa Rica/?

I know from experience that they tend to hire journalists who have some experience, say a year or two or more on an American newspaper, big or small, plus (it helps) a journalism degree etc.

I also know that guy I went to university with 20 years ago is now the reuters desk chief in Seoul, and he has an English Lit degree only. I presume he started out in Korea. So you know there are more than a few ways to skin a cat. But I think you need to talk to someone who knows more than I do..... I should ask around--email them-- see what they want.
You can email the publisher of the Cambodia Daily, Bernie Krisher, and just ask him what he wants. Try it anyway, I'm not sure if it is still a valid address.

[email protected]

As for competition, that exists everywhere!!! Vacancies also exist, especially abroad, since people are always coming and going in the world and people don't like living abroad forever. Also, try the prague Post-- ask them what they want. Journalists are nasty beasts but I'll say this much for them-- they do communicate.

Oh, and don't forget Africa!

all best
khmerhjit Cool

PS

Quote:
Are there real staff positions with decent salaries for reporters and editors? Or do they just work with freelancers?

Yes there are real jobs. And they use freelancers, IF they have a budget for them. When you hear the salaries, and they sound low, remember that the cost of living in BongoBongoLand is likely very small compared to where you are now. You can save more there than you can in the States!

PSS--never stay in one position for more than two or three years.
Roger

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must agre with khmerhit too: once you have a TEFL job in an East Asian country, you will be looking at one deadline coming up after another - your school's holidays, tests, your visa application, - lots of mundane things that keep never being resolved for good.
And your job security is not great; every year you will be faced with the question: where next? ANd if yes, the same employer, then: will the same troubles happen again?

But, it is also true that you can do some writing as I have done (not just on this board). Some local English language publications will on occasion accept your submissions but there is no steady income from such sources as competition is high, and your takers are rather biased in their predilection.

A few years ago, some expats crowded around one person in China to found a monthly magazine called CLUELESS; it later developed ito several local magazines and one national version, all written by expats. However, I don't know how the writers get remunerated as the publications are free and the English-speaking scene is not very highly populated. Also, they had to get permission from Chinese authorities to publish, a tricky undertaking as you no doubt realise.

I was able to publish one book in those many years in China; incidentally it's a China-related hand book.
Egas

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to disagree with the idea that you will have no time to write of you teach. It is all a matter of organisation. Even if your job involves 40 hours a week, you should be able to put in some time writing. I get about 20 hours a week plus in on my research. I mean, all these guys who are saying that you will have no time, how mich time do they spend watching TV, or writing on Dave's., or surfing the net? If you add it all up it comes op heaps. To make time for writing, you just cut out some other things from your life.
Laura C

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, you can write and teach I think. OK, my JET experience doesn't really count as I had free time at school, but I worked full time the whole way through my M.A., including the dissertation, and then wrote a novel in the evenings after work. And yes, there were lots of days when I came home from work all stressed and watched Eastenders instead!

Once you get started it's OK, imho.

L
Roger

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if you are well organised, you don't have the whatever it takes to overcome writer's block.
I found that working under pressure leaves me sufficiently creative. Too much spare time, and you get mentally inert, or passive.
But then again, John Steinbeck wrote his novels according to a timetable set in stone: Every morning after 5 a.m.; the major part of his day's job was done by lunch.
Who of us has the freedom to do it?
Mouse

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal take on the matter is that the viablity of working in ESOL and writing at the same time depends on what you want to write and how serious you are about getting it finished. Fine, if you want to assure a certain standard at work, a teaching job extends well beyond the number of in-class hours you do in a week (28 in my case), but over the last four years I've still found time to write five novels (whether they're any good is another question) as well as other more social activites, going to the gym, stuffing my face with local fare, etc... I think that the opportunity to do other things has got to be one of the main advantages to this (TEFL) lifestyle (I did practically none of 'my own' writing when I was working as a DOS, for example).
wordgirl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MattElz,

You don't say what kind of freelance writer you are. Are you a fiction writer? a journalist? a travel writer? all of the above?

There are all kinds of journalism possibilities in foreign countries, and not just with small local papers. Of course, the foreign correspondent jobs at the big papers and news magazines are pretty competitive, but if that's the life you're looking for, it's worth working your way up. I grew up around journalists. They're a special breed.

I'm a fiction writer. I find I can get small amounts done while I'm preoccupied with some other activity such as teaching, but the bulk happens on vacations and between jobs. I agree with previous posters, though, that it basically comes down to priorities. If you want to do it badly enough, you will find a way.

Good luck!
ntropy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 5:41 pm    Post subject: JET Reply with quote

JET seems to be the way to go if you want to write.

I published more than 20 short stories, a translation of Japanese fairy tales used in my school district's curriculum, and wrote 2 (very bad, unpublishable) novels in my five years as a CIR/ALT.

Then I got married and had no time for any of that.
MattElz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer your question - I am a freelance journalist, fiction writer (unpublished) and aspiring travel writer (but more along the lines of travel narratives, not hotel listings, etc.)

I thought that the replies about teaching overseas as a way to kill your writing career sounded a little curious .... Guess it's all about time management, priorities and not getting caught up in the ExFrat scene
Kurochan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 6:05 pm    Post subject: A few ideas Reply with quote

Howdy --

In several major cities in China, and I'm sure other major cities around Asia, there are English-language newspapers that cater to expats and language-learners. My local one, anyway, has a Western copy editor who goes over the stories. I guess there's one chief (who is full time and gets paid HKD), and two assistants who are part time and get paid in Ren Min Bi. Also, some TV stations have English-language broadcasts, and have foreigners who work as "English language advisors." You might try applying to places like that -- writing to TV stations and newspapers. It would probably be a lot of copy editing rather than writing, but it would help you meet people, and find out where you might publish the stuff you've written.

Also, depending on your degree and experience, you could look for a university job in a journalism or communications department. That would be stable and related to your field. You'd have some nice long holidays too, with travel bonuses, so you could spend some time traveling and writing as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: